Author Topic: Myrick Eclipse one-third scale model part two  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Myrick Eclipse one-third scale model part two
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 11:44:52 PM »
Nice work on the bearings Paul.
The engine is looking great.

Dave

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 10:02:24 PM »
Have not posted progress in a while, other projects in the works. Wanted to show my detail on the hot tube burner. Rather than trying to drill a very small gas jet hole, I use a piece of 1/16" OD hobby brass tube which projects into the  fuel/air tube. This has the effect of drawing in air via a Venturi effect and is less prone to breeze effects. The tube is progressively crimped down at the gas pressure being used to adjust the fuel air mix. If you go too far, simply uncrimp it a bit. This is from my other working model of the same engine and so appears used. From light off, this heats the tube to red heat in 2-3 mins. My hot tubes on the models are 1/4" SS tube with TIG welded ends. I also use this on all my larger full sized engines. For the purists, this may be out of bounds, but for having a reliable draft insensitive burner, I'm happy with it.

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
Well, with a box of completed parts, it was time for assembly. This one was tricky as the piston has to go in the cylinder from the bottom as the bottom of the rod will not clear the bore. Then the arch, supporting the cylinder is added. The crank was previously shimmed and fitted to the mains and disassembled. Since the rod journal is made from 3/4 drill rod, a dummy shaft was used to set the bearing clearance on the big end. I removed the rod cap and installed the crank on the cylinder and rod. Next, the whole affair was lowered into the block and mains and the mains caps installed. Everything fit nicely and the auxiliary exhaust port is cleared "just right" at the bottom of the stroke. Lot of fiddling with the governer to get it operational. There was one spot on the latch mechanism where it was rubbing a bit; an easy fix with a file. Base made from ~50 year old tongue-and-groove 3/4" mahogany. Valves still need some minor lapping to get compression up to par. Still have to finish making the cooling fan and plumb up th gas system. The tin shroud was made with new material and then made sweaty using the stuff you darken stained glass came with. She's a third scale and weighs in at about 65 pounds...about 1/9-th the weight of the full sized engine.

Offline jeff l

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:38 AM »
Nice work on the engine for sure .
I'm interested in how good the hot tube is going work and if it will be easy to light .I just finished a Reid engine which has a hot tube and it is difficult to light when it's cold.Jeff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal