Author Topic: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper  (Read 107382 times)

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
Re: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
nicely made pulley, Jason. I particularly like the false groove to give the impression of a split hub.
following the build with great interest.

Peter

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
Beautiful work on that pulley Jason and your attention to details is amazing as always.

Bill

Offline lesmo

• North Staffs UK
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »
I have followed several of your excellent builds, and not surprisingly this one is up to your usual high standard of craftsmanship.  I would also endorse what others have said about covering as much of this build as your time will allow, as a lot can be learned from your techniques, especially by those of us relatively new to the game.  :ThumbsUp:

All the Best

Les 
Engage brain before moving hands.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments, now can you tell what this is yet?

Two discs were cut off my ever shrinking piece of 80mm dia cast iron bar by hand to approx 1/2" thick and are to become the eccentric straps. These were then poped into the lathe and faced off to give a finished thickness of 3/8".

I then did a quick bit of layout with a pencil to see roughly how much I could take off to get a flat reference face, this and the next few stages were all done with the discs held vertically in the mill vice and cut with a 1/2" endmill.

With the reference face established the discs were blued and marked out with the height gauge and the four extremities cut, you will notice I have left an 1/8" strip in the middle to allow for cutting and cleaning up the face.

The flat faces for the bolts were then machined and some of the waste removed just by eyeballing clear of the line. The holes were also drilled at this setting. In addition I formed a flat to screw an oil cup into, these can be seen on the original photo but are not on AM's drawings

The discs were then cut in half with a hacksaw and machined back to the line, the socket head screws are only there while there is more machining to be done.

The centres were marked and the strap mounted in the 4-jaw to bore the hole to 1 3/4".

They were then held by this hole on the rotary table to clean up the outside profile using a 1/4" FC-3 cutter

I then knocked up some filing buttons to round off the bolting lugs, quick tip when doing this the nut often works loose so give it a quick tap with a hammer which makes it slightly oval and it won't come loose again.

Add a couple of fitted bolts, nuts & locknuts and thats them done save for a bit of clean up before final assembly.

Any one want to guess what percentage of the original discs ended up as swarf? answeres in a day or two.

J

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »
Looks great Jason, you made that look easy. Still following with interest.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
Once they're clear of the bar....75%...

Higher if you include cutting free of the original bar.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »
you made that look easy.

Agreed.

Looks great.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
Well Dave as you were the only taker I suppose the prize goes to you, not far off as 81% ended up on the floor once they were off the bar. Now just let me know where to send that 317g of CI swarf ;)

With the eccentric straps done the next logical parts were the sheaves, they were roughed out from 2" bar when taking a break from sawing off the CI for the straps.

With the straps completed they could be used to test fit the final sizing of the sheaves, I then parted them most of the way through finishing off with a hacksaw.

Then poped back in the lathe and using the soft jaws they were faced off to finished thickness

The throw was then marked out and punched with the optical punch and once clocked true in the 4-jaw the hole was bored.

Just a couple of grub screw holes to finish them off and here they are with their straps.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:50:38 PM by Jasonb »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
Hey Jason!

Just under a pound of swarf?!   Not bad!   I would have expected more! :Lol:

Nice looking parts Jason! :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 03:29:57 AM »
Just catching up with this build and am stunned at the effort put into it. I'm now watching intently as I love beam engines.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
For the base of the engine I had intended to use a length of 125x65x15 PFC (parallel flange channel) that I had conviently over ordered on an order for some other work related structural steel. Having now got pictures of the actual engine I had to rethink my methods therefore I will make the top of the base from 5mm steel plate and the sides from 1 1/2" x 5/8" alloy.

You know when you are building bigger engines because you can't cut right through the part with a hacksaw  ::) , so the angle grinder with a thin cutting disc was used to complete the cuts and give me a piece approx 5" x17"

After some very basic layout using a pencil and marker the sheet was fixed to the mill table on some MDF packing.

The first job was to add another hold down in the middle of some waste followed by cutting the two holes for the pump and cylinder base using a boring head and their associated fixing holes.

As work progressed I had to reset the plate as its length was just over the 360mm travel of the X3s table. Having studied the old photos again tonight I need to make this rectangular hole larger but its easy enough to reset on teh mill.

The final bit of profiling was done on the rotary table as the crank hole needs to have a rounded end where it meets the cylinder base.

And here it is just about done except for a few odd holes and the above mentioned cutout.

J

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »
that I had conviently over ordered on an order

hee hee. I do that too. The 'just in cases'. Although most of my over ordering is in the form of bottles filled with nectar. Favorite phrase...'better get two - just in case'.

I always enjoy reading your threads. A good example of what I strive for but have a long way to go.

Looks great and I'm anxious for more.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »

hee hee. I do that too. The 'just in cases'. Although most of my over ordering is in the form of bottles filled with nectar. Favorite phrase...'better get two - just in case'.

And just in case.....................A case is better than 2, by a factor of 6.  :cartwheel:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »

And just in case.....................A case is better than 2, by a factor of 6.  :cartwheel:

Best Regards
Bob

8) :DrinkPint:
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »
You cranked that one out pretty quick Jason!

Nice !

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal