Author Topic: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper  (Read 108950 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Building a bigger Easton & Anderson Grasshopper
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Thanks for all teh kind comments

As Jo says the Governor was a bought in item either by Easton & Anderson or possibly whoever erected the engine in the gas works.

Ramon, I'm going to try a few things for the belt but if all else fails may be in contact.

George, I really don't have any thing special. A 3.9kg propane bottle with a Bullfinch torch with 22mm nozzel which is similar to the Machine Mart ones and a few scamolex blocks as a hearth.

JB Weld I get off e-bay but you may get it in a car accesory shop. Make sure its the red & black tubes.

J

Bluechip

« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
Jason

Just one more admiring post, tedious after a bit I know, but if you make magnificent engines you'll just have to grin and bear it ...  :ThumbsUp:

George

I got my JB Weld from here, had no luck at all locally with accessory shops etc.

http://www.jbweldadhesives.co.uk/

Bought about 2 years ago, they were just about the cheapest taking 'post incl.' into account.
Don't know about the prices now. Have a shufti around ..

Dave BC

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Hi Jason, may i enquire about "slaters" letters , material, sizes, source's etc etc . this is really good and inspiring work
Regards, Willy.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
There is also a link on the page to show the actual sheets, I ordered from them

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/alphabets.php

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:57 AM »
thanks 4 t'info in shall have to look into this interesting
Willbert

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
Jason, May i ask what is the thinking behind making the steam chest cover in this way ? was it because it used less metal, or because it was easier to get at or do maintenance, Is there any text available on old engines that talks about this method of construction. Actually, does it use less metal ?maybe not come to think of it. any thoughts would be interesting, thanks.
Willy.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
It probably does use a bit less material just having a bolting flange rather than the whole sides of the valve chest being the thickness of the mating surfaces. The slanting joint may have been to give better access to the Meyer valve gear though I have seen similar on other engines with basic slide valves.

It certainly allowed me to use a smaller block of bronze for the valve chest and just a few scraps of plate for the flange & cover.

J

Offline angeloscuro

« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
 :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:
Oh boy what level of work is that it is a spectacular thing is that I donot believe I can bring to this forum because apparently seen god mother, encouragement and congratulations friend grabbing a spectacular job these

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
will you be adding a Barring bracket and tool for extra realism ?
W

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
There is no sign of a bracket on the original or any trace of fixings for one so I'll keep it as it appears in the photos to keep it real.

J

Offline joeb

« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
I'm new to the forum - this is my first post on the first build I have looked at
if this is the standard of build here its going to be a while before I put my builds up
Standard of work and craftsmanship is outstanding - i learnt a lot and enjoyed so much I read it twice

Well done
Cheers
Joe
on the J Curve of learning all things steam - I'm still heading down hill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Welcome Joe, don't be put off by others work we have all levels here and like to follow any build and we do like pictures.

If you can spare a few moments can you add a brief post in the "introduce yourself" section to give people an idea of your interests, anything you have made or hope to make in the future.

J

Offline ian cable

« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
hi joe welcome we have all got scrap boxes full of failed bits and pieces part of the fun,if it does what you want at the endof making your a winner  ian c

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #253 on: November 14, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
It probably does use a bit less material just having a bolting flange rather than the whole sides of the valve chest being the thickness of the mating surfaces. The slanting joint may have been to give better access to the Meyer valve gear though I have seen similar on other engines with basic slide valves.

It certainly allowed me to use a smaller block of bronze for the valve chest and just a few scraps of plate for the flange & cover.

J
Jason, I have been looking at these post's in detail now and am quite intrigued by the Meyer valve gear. Is there somewhere i could look that explains this valve gear in more detail. Good work and i may be "borrowing" some of your build techniques in the future !!

Offline mikemill

« Reply #254 on: November 16, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Jason

Superb craftsmanship, I think the difference is taking that bit extra care and a large helping of skill, we all have the potential but only a few realize it.
Keep up the good work

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal