Author Topic: Is this fellow still alive?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Is this fellow still alive?
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »
http://www.metalscraping.com/

I ordered his CD a couple of months back but have not received it or any replies to emails since. The site has no contact information.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: Is this fellow still alive?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
You could send an email to the email address in the site's WhoIs info. It is protected but if you indicate what you need then perhaps it will result in a reply. Or call the phone number of the registrar and try that way.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
Would be nice to be able to read it....looks very interesting.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:03:28 PM »
It seems the author, aka Peregrin, was not accepted too kindly at Practical Machinist, they are a tough lot there.

Another hobby site has a thread from a few years ago, also about not receiving the DVD.

Seems the DVD is mostly printed materials.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:37:20 PM »
Thanks, Gerrit. I've gone ahead with the PayPal Resolution thingie, first step is to send the guy a message thru PayPal. Unfortunatley  he has until August to respond.  >:(

We'll see...

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline stvy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Hi,

i've tried a few of the learn to scrape books and tutorials videos. In my opinion you should really consider to go on a Richard King course and he sells his dvd on ebay.com as well. A lot of what you need to know is on his DVD it is just a lot easier for someone like me to be shown in person. Since your based in the USA you could look for a course in your area. not cheap but he will get you scraping using correct techniques and you will be able to improve your tooling and machines as you wish.

I am a historical happy customer of Richard's so please bear that in mind that bias when assessing my advise.

Personally when I went on his course I was coming from a very low experience and knowledge of scraping background and I had some severe back pain at the time and with the pain killers I struggled to absorb all the information. I had to go away and practice and ask questions to people I had met at the course and also Richard. Soon after it started to sink in and I got better results with less wasted time. After the course I could scrape to 20 PPI and I needed a little more time to "get it" for the 40 PPI. I also needed to understand things a bit better to be able to progress the work quicker. My recommendation is to give him a try and go fresh and well rested with a small personally project so you can take it all the way through to the 40 point per inch of bearing and 50% contact that is the traditional top quality result. With a Biax and Richards method you can get to 20 PPI and 50% bearing without too much effort.

My other recommendations are:

1. Have a really good surface plate. The best quality will give you the easiest path as the bluing up and spotting will be the most consistent.
2. Have a very sharp carbide blade. You'll need a 1200 grit diamond lap to get it as sharp as you need it. Learning is much easier with a very sharp blade. And the results are better. I am now obsessive on having a sharp blade.
3. Radius your blade. With a flat blade it is almost impossible to avoid scratching the work piece. A 90mm radius is not a bad starting point.
3. Get a biax. You'll get more done in the same time and effort as hand scraping. You don't need one but if your projects are large or heavily worn you'll get a lot more progress and that keeps the motivation up. They do pop up for sale second hand every now and then. But check the motor brushes for wear and if it is an old one be prepared to make the replacements yourself. Over the years they change the colours and that indicates the spare parts situation as follows:

blue - no parts officially available
green - some parts but you might need some luck as there are older greens and newer greens and it is hard to tell them apart.
black - current production all parts available.

Richard also sells straight edge castings from 12" to 60" long with 2 types one flat and one with a flat and dovetail. I purchased a few off him with a plan to rebuild a bridgeport mill and do the mistakes on the straight edges and other small projects. I now have a set useful tools.

Regards,
Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Glad to hear he's on the up and up Steve....but he's a bit slow on the response which is troubling.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:18:41 AM »
The issue has been resolved, for me anyway, by PayPal. I opened a Dispute, submitted the information including data from here and other sites, and they have retrieved my money.

The process worked!!!

Pete
Retired, finally!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal