Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Close. But, no Cigar.......

(1/4) > >>

Stilldrillin:
Hello All.....

I'm just emerging, from the winter hybernation, spring cleaning, round toits, gonna do's, etc......  ::)

Mid February, another orphan flame licker arrived. This one's, tiny!  :headscratch:
 As I understand. Made in Germany. Travelled to Denmark. Then to Hereford. (UK). Finally, to my door, in Derbyshire.

No arrival pics. Here's, Little Munchkin.......

Bore, 13mm. Stroke, 11mm. Not ideal dimensions.......

The cam, was an eccentric.......

Now, it is a 120* cam. With 6mm lift.........

The undersize, alloy piston. Was replaced with graphite. The cotton wick replaced with s/s mesh.

I've done all I can think of, to bring this orphan to life.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6aSbOUGEQ

Close. But, no cigar! (I think, I'm trying to change the laws of physics)......

Any further ideas? Anyone? Pleese.....

David.

b.lindsey:
It's close to running David. Got to be either timing, piston/valve seal or or not enough heat. There isn't much else it can be unless you feel some binding somewhere.

Bill

Gas_mantle:
How does the new wick compare to the old one ? Could it be worth trying it after your modifications but still using the old wick ?

Stilldrillin:

--- Quote from: b.lindsey on April 05, 2017, 11:05:50 PM ---It's close to running David. Got to be either timing, piston/valve seal or or not enough heat. There isn't much else it can be unless you feel some binding somewhere.

Bill

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill. Yes, that is the closest it has been to running! (Right on cue, for the camera).....

As you know, I've worked my apprenticeship, on these engines. Everything is correct, and spinning freely.
 The cam timing has been adjusted to the sweet spot. It makes the right noises, when spun over.

The only mod I can think of, now. Is to change the 1/4" dia steel shutter disc, for a shim type shutter valve.......
 Don't think it will make much difference.  :ShakeHead:

Frankly.... I think it is too darned small, to run efficiently. If at all......

Does anyone recognise the design? Is it a half sized copy, of an existing engine?

David.

Stilldrillin:

--- Quote from: Gas_mantle on April 05, 2017, 11:20:03 PM ---How does the new wick compare to the old one ? Could it be worth trying it after your modifications but still using the old wick ?

--- End quote ---

I developed my mesh wicks, some time ago. They are more efficient, and don't burn away......

I have swapped back to the original, several times. Mine is the only one, giving any enthusiasm......

David.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version