Author Topic: A Cretors horizontal wobbler  (Read 4615 times)

Offline tinkerer

A Cretors horizontal wobbler
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:46 AM »
Let's see if this new resizing software works for this site. This is a Cretors horizontal wobbler engine a friend of mine owns
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline tinkerer

Re: A Cretors horizontal wobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:36 AM »
A couple more of the same engine. I'd like to get my hands on it & restore it.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »
I don't think anyone makes a copy of this one. Myers only has the vertical one & two sixes of the horizontal #6.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
I haven't seen castings for this one either, but from the looks of it, it could be done from bar stock and fabricated to look as if from castings. The hardest part would be that little clown head attached to the base  ;D

Bill

Offline hitnmiss49

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
I have a set of castings for this engine. I don't know who made the castings as I purchased them on ebay about a year ago. The base plate is cast in aluminum and the rest of the parts including the flywheel are cast in brass. There were not any blueprints included with the castings. When I get around to working on it I'll have to make cad drawings of it so I can get all the dimensions correct.
Lonnie

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »
The little head is just a loose one from a Roasty Toasty Man clown. It was just sitting on the base. I don't know of anyone making reproes of him either. The head, arms & legs were cast iron. I might make a mold off the head to make from cast aluminum & try to do that. Lamp parts might be able to be used to make both ends of the peanut/popcorn canister (not a perfect repro but close).

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 03:21:21 AM »
I have a set of castings for this engine which were produced by Bob Pearson. Bob maintains a close relationship with the Cretors family and was given the original Cretors patterns.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »
Nice does he sell these? The only difference I can see, is the pedestal the cylinder rotates on is brass on the one my friend has. Maybe they changed it over time? Also the two pedestals that support the drive shaft are not the same. The outboard one looks more like the ones on the #6.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:59:26 AM by tinkerer »

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »
I don't know Bob's status - he's in his Eighties and may have slowed down some. His restored Popcorn wagons are gorgeous. I'm away from home for a couple more weeks (avoiding winter), but I'll see what information I can scare up when I get home. I can tell you that the drawings that go with that set of castings are actual large format blueprints - really old school. I've been trying to recall if I had them scanned like I  did the Anzani Y drawings and I don't think I did, but it might be something to do when I get back home, There's a place that does them for 3 bucks a sheet and gives you high res PDFs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal