Help! > Mistakes, muckups, and dangerous behaviour

Engine Making Skills Gap

(1/3) > >>

Vixen:
Now that the thread about general learning 'skills gap' has been closed, at long last. How about one on our own engine making skill short falls?

We have all been there and done it, even made a photo record.

Who is brave enough to post their Engine Making Skills Gap?

This was my first attempt to turn a muzzle brake for a 1/6 scale panzer tank. Longitudinal (X axis) feed way too high resulting in a high velocity low flying object exiting the chuck past my left ear.

My second attempt was a bit better

Now it's your turn to own up

Mike

Jo:
I always try to post what I am doing warts and all  :embarassed: in real time, in the knowledge that JB will quickly be along to point out any short falls in my techniques and to explain how he would have done it, so no one else tries to do it in the cack handed way I did  ::)

After all some people never do a piece wrong  :lolb:

Jo

crueby:
Makes sense it went flying so fast, it WAS for a tank gun...   :Lol:

I had one come loose from the drill press vise and fly by me like that, hit the back wall 25 feet away pretty hard. No pics on it, though the stunned expression on my face must have been good! 

One time was setting up a winged tenon cutter in the router, when the router was in its table mount, with the cutter facing up. Was getting ready to cut a groove in the edge of a board for a sailboat. I must not have had the collet tightened right, or maybe the bit was too shallow in the collet, since I reached under the table to turn on the router, and as it spun up the cutter (1/4" thick wing cutter about 2" diameter) wobbled a little, bent its shank, the cutter edge bent over and caught the table, launched the whole cutter up into my chest, right off the breastbone in the center. Fortunately it was not going too fast at that point so it just left a bruise and did not go through the skin. The shank was bent about 30 degrees over.

Those were my two closest calls (and THAT, boys and girls, is why you wear protective gear around power tools!).

Next!

mklotz:

--- Quote from: crueby on April 05, 2017, 08:27:47 PM ---
One time was setting up a winged tenon cutter in the router, when the router was in its table mount, with the cutter facing up. Was getting ready to cut a groove in the edge of a board for a sailboat. I must not have had the collet tightened right, or maybe the bit was too shallow in the collet, since I reached under the table to turn on the router, and as it spun up the cutter (1/4" thick wing cutter about 2" diameter) wobbled a little, bent its shank, the cutter edge bent over and caught the table, launched the whole cutter up into my chest, right off the breastbone in the center. Fortunately it was not going too fast at that point so it just left a bruise and did not go through the skin. The shank was bent about 30 degrees over.

Those were my two closest calls (and THAT, boys and girls, is why you wear protective gear around power tools!).

--- End quote ---

Safety glasses yes, but I seldom wear my breast-plate anymore.  It makes me look so Carthaginian.

I've seen guys using a draw-knife on a shaving horse wearing a flat wood chest plate suspended by a neck band.  Some gorgets, especially those worn by the Nazi military police, might work nicely.

Admiral_dk:
I don't remember taking any photos of thing going wrong that I have in my possession .... (though with my memory it doesn't say much).

But I will admit that I've been saved more time than I can count over the years from the fact that I'm using glasses (near sighted) and this isn't something I can rely on in the future as I'm old enough now that certain things are much easier to see without the glasses  :censored:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version