Author Topic: Mini V-8  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Astro-Eric

Mini V-8
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
While working as engineering manager (paper pusher), I needed something that was technically challenging.  So at lunch, I began to eat at my desk and started designing my own v-8 engine.  This is my own design of a SOHC engine.  I have a lot of the parts made.  But from the time I first got started to now, I've purchased a CNC milling machine.  So the opportunities to make parts better is there.  I've started re-designing some of the parts for CNC work.  One is the intake.  I decided to run 8 small carbs that I redesigned from plans I bought from Jerry Howell.  It's really overkill, but I thought it would look better and be lot more challenging.  Progress is slow, but I have made some...

Please feel free to take a look at what I have done so far by clicking HERE

The crank was done on my 1932 Southbend lathe that my Grandfather bought new. I have 2 lathes, but it's the only one that is set-up to turn between centers.   The last 2 photos are more recent parts that I completed on the CNC.  The last photo is one of the carbs that I did as a prototype on the 4th axis.  This allowed me to machine 4 of the 6 sides in one set-up.

Comments, suggestions or complaints are always welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Eric

Offline gbritnell

Re: Mini V-8
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
I'm not telling you that you shouldn't do it but carburetion on these small engines is hard enough to sort out even just using one. I would recommend starting with one to sort out all the bugs and then modify from there. Oh and I went to your link and looked at your construction photos. Nice work!
gbritnell
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:42:39 PM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline mnay

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Beautiful work.  Keep us posted as you build
I don't like  work with anything smaller than a #4 screw.  Don't know how you do it.
Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
Excellent work, but having had significant problems getting a single to run I echo Georges comments (I am now adding to my problems by working on fuel injection  ::) )
Best regards

Roger

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:20:28 AM »
Very nice work, indeed.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal