Author Topic: Mini / Micro Tapping Tools  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Astro-Eric

Mini / Micro Tapping Tools
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
Reviewing my own tools might be a bit skewed, but see what you think.  I've been doing a ton of tapping for both work and personal projects.  Most of what I tap is #4 and smaller.  So I developed a set of tools that help me when hand tapping of the tiny taps is necessary.  I was hoping to make a little extra money for some new projects that are on the horizon and made a few sets to sell.  I had a ton of fun making them and put a lot of care into each piece.

I've tapped hundreds of #0-80 threaded holes with my micro tap knob and probably thousands with my mini tap handle.  There are also some other tools in the kit that aid with micro layouts.  I also have some tap knobs and tap handles that are available separately from the kit.  You can see all the tools at my Website

But here's a quick snapshot.  Thanks for taking a look.

Eric

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:48:38 PM by Astro-Eric »

Offline Carbuilder

Re: Mini / Micro Tapping Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »
Months and hundreds of views and no replies. So I'll reply. These look very nice. Tapping fixtures are good, but when you get down to very small taps, you are right that the mass of them is sometimes too much. Love the wood case as well...........nice touch!

simplyloco

Re: Mini / Micro Tapping Tools
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
Building my little loco to somewhere near scale means that some bolts are very tiny indeed. In this pic I'm fixing the running board side with M1.2 (0.047") set screws, using a pin vise to drive the tap. No breakages as yet! For vertical work, the Proxxon BF40 has a quill spring tension reversing feature. I just turn a knob and I can put small taps in with one hand turning the chuck whilst the machine does the centreing.

small taps by inkaboat, on Flickr

This is the holder for the miniature metric dies, I made it out of hex brass and it slides on a spindle held in the tailstock. No need for spanners or pin wrenches: hand held is quite enough!

DSCF0056 by inkaboat, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:31:04 AM by simplyloco »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal