Author Topic: Cool CNC plotter made mostly from 3D printed parts  (Read 3081 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Cool CNC plotter made mostly from 3D printed parts
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
I probably don't need one of these and I'm not even sure what I'll use it for, but it sure is cool...

It's a plotter or CNC drawing machine that uses an H-Bot configuration in which both the X and Y steppers are stationary.  The original machine is called AxiDraw and is designed & marketed by a company called Evil Mad Scientist.  It sells for around $475 and has gone through several design iterations.  You can also buy a Chinese version for around $250.  Or, you can download the 3D print files from Thingiverse for free.  You have to provide the 2 Nema 17 Steppers, 4 of the 8mm hardened steel rods, 8 of the LM8UU linear bearings, 2 GT2 timing pulleys and a length of GT2 timing belt, an Arduino, GRBL shield, and an assortment of screws and hardware.  I just happen to have virtually all the other hardware and electronic pieces on hand so my cost is will probably be less than $20 for anything else I need to buy.  I did have to buy the small stepper for the Z-Axis.  It was about $2.75 with free shipping from aliexpress.

The 3d printer does most of the work and it's just a matter of putting it all together and watching it work.  I've already printed most of the plastic parts so I'm about ready to begin assembly.  If you're interested, here is a video of the machine being assembled and tested:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanuOqAqHyo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanuOqAqHyo</a>
So many projects, so little time...

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Cool CNC plotter made mostly from 3D printed parts
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
That will be interesting Chuck. Would it be sturdy enough to replace the pencil with a laser cutter? A small alteration to the base to space out the rails would give a more solid base.

Edit: I just went and had a look and it seems someone already did the laser idea, so it could be done.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:04:58 AM by wagnmkr »
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal