Author Topic: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem  (Read 15660 times)

Offline Joco

Re: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:05 AM »
A little bit of a mixed update on the bandsaw cart.

[Pic #1]
Just a little show of utilising some clamps and the toolmakers clamps in a way to get around clamping limitations of the saw vice.  At least until I can get some stock cut to make jaw extensions and the separation rod to keep the clamping jaw from pivoting.

[Pic #2]
I embarked on a bit of work with the brown stuff today getting some shelf boards made.  This is the one for the cart bottom and I also did one on the lathe stand while I was on a roll and managed to neatly use up the last of a sheet of plywood. This base will ultimately have some draws and cupboards added to provide a little more storage space and to keep all the bits relating to the bandsaw in one location.

[Pic #3]
This is the delivery end of the bandsaw coolant.  The steel block (I would have preferred Aluminium but I just do not have the stock) will be the basis for the mounting block for the flexi spout and for a hose barb to be screwed into.  I'll have to model this idea up and will try and remember to post the render/plans for what I come up with.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 11:23:40 PM »
Trying to keep multiple projects going at the moment but thought this use of the cut-off table might be of interest.

Essentially I needed to cut some 60 degree angles and I didn't want to muck up the main fence which I have nicely set to an accurate 90 degrees to the blade.  Using a protractor to clamp a fence I was able to hold the steel sections securely and reputably at 60 deg to the blade.  Worked pretty well for the 8 parts that I needed to cut.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:12 AM »
Hi James,
 Now I know I have to figure out how to put the table out the side...nicework! Probably an easy yet another add on, just remove the adjustable end stop & slide the table on should do it.
On the main fence....get your drill out drill through the fence & through the table fit a pin, then no problem getting it square.

Oh BTW I've done drawings for my table mods so if you would like a copy just ask, goes for anybody else as well.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »
Hi James,
 Now I know I have to figure out how to put the table out the side...nicework! Probably an easy yet another add on, just remove the adjustable end stop & slide the table on should do it.
On the main fence....get your drill out drill through the fence & through the table fit a pin, then no problem getting it square.

Oh BTW I've done drawings for my table mods so if you would like a copy just ask, goes for anybody else as well.

Cheers Kerrin

Cheers Kerrin.  The cut off support table is proving to be quite useful.  Has me thinking about something larger and more permanent.  At the moment as I still have 12 months of warranty on the saw I'm avoiding drilling any new holes in it.  Later though ... well it's all on.  Pins for key reference angles, larger and properly affixed cutoff table are on the list.

Re your plans - would love a set of drawings.   Maybe post them against your original mod thread?

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
Hi James,
 Yes probably not a good idea to give the supplier any more reasons to not pay out! :lolb:

Was going to put against the original post....just got to convert to PDF & add some words as to what may need looking at to fit a different saw.

Had fun doing the drawings...had to talk to son in Canada on how to do some bits of it! Hopefully what I've done other can follow! Brain R will probably need up on the floor  :lolb: !!

Chers Kerrin

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
I'd love to see your drawings too, Kerrin!
So if you choose to post them, they'll have an audience :)
Thanks,
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
Another small change which was suggested to me by bruedney.

Such a simple thing and its like I have a new saw.  What is this change you might ask? A new M20 classic V belt (https://www.bayengineerssupplies.co.nz/products/power-transmission/belts-pulleys/m20).  I still had the original Chinese supplied belt. Looked ok, but in all honesty I wouldn't know a good belt from a bad one.  Anyway bruedney suggested a new belt might be a good idea, I sourced one from a local supplier (actually from Tauranga: https://www.bayengineerssupplies.co.nz) for a mere $3.40 (plus GST and $8 shipping so I got a whole bunch of screws to make it all worth while).  Anyway previously I had really bad vibration, to the point I was wondering if the wheels the blade ran on where not very concentric.   However put this new belt on tonight and the saw is better than new. It's rock solid and much quieter.

WIN!   :whoohoo:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »
 8)

I had a similar experience with the blade on my startrite band saw: It came with a fine toothed blade (8 tpi ish) which cut like a dream, even aluminium, until it broke  :'( The second blade it came with was a 3 Tpi pitch and it vibrated all over the place :o and nothing would stop it vibrating, until it also broke  :-[.

I then brought some expensive replacements and fitted the first blade a 3 tpi AS (alternate set) blade.... Round it went tick, tick, tick  as the weld went through the guides  >:(..... Then after a few cuts I realised that it had stopped going tick, tick, tick and was as quiet as the original blade could focus on the fact that actually it cuts like a dream  ;D

I also brought some vari-pitch Starrett bi-metal blades for metal cutting that I have yet to try but based on how well that AS blade settled in and works I am very hopeful.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Joco

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
A small update on the cart. I plan to add another shelf to
[1] support the coolant reservoir "bucket"
[2] provide an area along the base of the cart under the shelf to hold cut-offs

The tabs for the shelf are off-cuts from another project and TIG welded into place.  That in itself was a big learning exercise.  Moving from TIG welding all nice and comfy on a stool at the table to on the floor trying to align to the torch at odd angles with minimal support and doing uphill welds for the first time.  Oh well, who wants to make it easy?    :naughty:

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
And finally the second shelf is added.  Just a few too many projects going on.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »
Bandsaw DIY coolant system - TICK

Not claiming much originalty in this as you can find a number of examples on the net.  However I thought I would share my attempt at a coolant system on these small hobby metal bandsaws.

Starting out with some hex brass stock thanks to Bruce for that material.  Drilling 6mm all the way through then enlarging to 11.5mm to a depth of around 20mm ready for the 1/2-20 tap.

All tapped and tested with the coolant pipe.

Next was to create the end for the coolant feeder pipe to go on.
Starting to turn it all down.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DC74XB3b80" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DC74XB3b80</a>

Comparing my work to the plastic fetting that screws into the submerged pump.

Ready to TIG braze the brass parts together.  For the record brass hates me when it comes this process.  I have had no issue with steel to steel. But Brass to Brass or Brass to Steel has been a nightmare.

The results after MUCH cleaning. You can see the figghts I had getting the silicone bronze filler rod to "flow" and the trouble I had with over heating the base metal in an effort to smooth out the filler rod.  But in the end it seems to be stuck well enough for what I need.

Ta da!  The custom fitting on the bandsaw, adjustable nozzel in place plumbed up to the pump system.

Steeping back and looking at the saw in total.

Under the system I eneded up having the drain drip straight into the bucket.  I'm going to look at this some more and see if there are some improvements to be had.

Now for some live action ...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehAx5SY_gE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehAx5SY_gE</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caboxj0-Zy0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caboxj0-Zy0</a>

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
Hi James,
 Nice addition!
 Do you find the blade takes the coolant right round the blade or is your tray big enuff to catch it all? A guy local did this upgrade & gave up on it as he had coolant all over the floor!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »
Hi James,
 Nice addition!
 Do you find the blade takes the coolant right round the blade or is your tray big enuff to catch it all? A guy local did this upgrade & gave up on it as he had coolant all over the floor!

Cheers Kerrin

Kerrin - my tray/stand is nearly large enough but there is a little dripping on the rear frame beam.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXmy8YSqxM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXmy8YSqxM</a>

I'm working through a simple drip trap which can be made from angle ali or steel that will solve that potential problem.  Bruce "bruedney" has a similar stand and solved his problem very elegantly with some spare copper pipe he had.

Once I have done my solution I'll show some pics.  Also some rubber/silicon wipers just before the blade enters the main housing would stop the vaste bulk of coolant going further than is desired.

I'm also tossing up whether I continue with the 240v submersible pump or swap it out with a 12v version. The 240v version is a fully sealed commercial unit on public sale but I guess there is always a degree of paranoia with mains voltage and water. Plus the 12v version I am looking at has a higher potential flow rate and the flow rate is adjustable.

Cheers,
James.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:41:50 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:47 AM »
Hi James,
 Right sounds like you've got it sorted! Now I'll need to go look at mine & see if I fit one if I can catch the coolant on my tray as is......

On the pump front yeah I know what you mean 230 & water not a good mix! 12 much better! As to volume I guess that's a personnel choice, I guess somebody here will be able to tell us !

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2017, 09:12:48 PM »
Thanks Kerrin.

I had another look at my plans for the rear drip catchment. I can already hear the cries of "over engineered!"
 :naughty:
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal