Author Topic: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Joco

6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
Killing some time while waiting for metal to cut ...

I have a problem, no space to get wifes car back in the garage so I need a solution ... best form of solution, a PROJECT!   :naughty:

So I have all this box section steel tube and a 6x4 bandsaw screaming out for some unwanted attention.  Put them together and you get a project looking for a problem ... errr I mean a solution, yes a SOLUTION god dammit!   :noidea:

So obviously we design up a new cart for the bandsaw to use up said steel, one with wheels, a drip pan, the possibility of coolant, some storage, room for twin motors, 3 phase power ... power ... more power ... MORE POWER.   :mischief:

Oh - I hear metal falling and hitting concrete.  Time to feed the cutting machine again.

Pics and more slightly crazed commentary to follow.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »
Rudy Kouhoupt did a cart for that saw....I did my own version....

It doesn't need to be steel, but if you have the hankering for it....have fun!

I'm looking at incorporating my saw into my mobile bench base.....we'll see.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
Hi James,
 Been there done that! Oh & a bit more besides.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6363.0.html

Here's a link to what I did,  any questions ask away

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 12:07:11 AM »
Hi James,
 Been there done that! Oh & a bit more besides.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6363.0.html

Here's a link to what I did,  any questions ask away

Cheers Kerrin

Kerrin - those are some awesome mods. If copying is flattery prepare to be flattered... lots!
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:12 AM »
Hi James,
 I just put a bunch of ideas from other people together in one place with some changes I thought about while on night shift......about the only advantage of working 12 hours on your own, plenty of time to think of things!
Sounds like I better brush up on my drafting skills!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »
I will dig out the plans tonight but got the top and bottom frame welded up. Its not had the joins ground dowb yet.  I took my time on these and really thought about heat management and how the welds would pull.  The result is some really straight frames.

Construction is simple: big frame on bottom, smaller on top. Lower frame overhang will be under the motor when saw is in the vertical.  This should give stability.  Drip tray will be on inside of top frame. Ill put a shelf on the bottom frame to hold stuff.  Also top frame will have supports for extending work piece support to the right of the blade.

Cheers ,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
Its been and continues to be a rathe distracting week with little shop time.  I did manage to layout the frames and uprights to show the basic shape coming together.

Hopefully the weekend will be kinder and some real progress will be made.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
Hi James,
 Looking good!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Frame all welded up. Sunday will be adding the wheels and the cross supports that the saw will actually mount on.
Also plan to break out the plasma cutter and cut up some 2mm sheet steel to make the drip tray and a lower shelf.  Then it will be painting painting painting.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men.   :old:

Got some stuff done today but not as much as I had hoped.  So the wins of the day being.

[1] Got the 40AMP plasma cutter unit all plumbed up to the compressor with double moisture traps on the line as I have heard that any moisture line the air will cause the torch to burn through tips rapidly.
Then use said cutter for my very first use of a plasma cutter - ever.

[2] Bandsaw cart progress.
Pics #1 to #3 show my first attempt at cutting stuff.  The slag on the back of the cut breaks off very easily with a cold chisel just being used by hand, no hammer.  The cut was done with a straight edge but I had issues with torch height.  I think I need to make some kind of support on the torch head that will keep the tip at a constant height and square to the metal. The same support could also be attached to a trammel system for cutting arcs/circles.

Pic #4:
The wheel mounting pads (6mm mild steel) which were initially hacked off with the plasma cutter then halved on bandsaw for a little more accuracy. Pads all welded on and ready to be drilled and tapped M6.

Pic #5:
Two wheels mounted.  I got one more mounted then I gave up for then evening.  After breaking a 3mm drill and a 3.5 mm drill I decided I was getting too tired.

Pic #6:
Close up of a mounted wheel with the M6 screws holding it all on.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:44:31 AM »
A little more done today in between some family time.

Got the last of the wheels mounted.

Cut the mounting cross beams and the "tabs" that will be the bolt mount points.  Then laid them out on top of the cart.
What I can't quite decide on is if to have the bolting tabs on the outside of the saw body or on the inside.  See pic #2

Anyone think one is better than the other?  Ascetically I suspect the inside option would look cleaner.

Cheers,
J.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »
Hi James,
 Put them on the inside....easier to clean!

Nice progress!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »
Cheers Kerrin.  I'll do that.   Also been pondering how to mount a tray and keep enough clearance from cables and such.  I don't want to raise the cross beams up as that will make the saw rather high.   I think I have a plan that will use up some lonesome 25x2mm angle iron.

More pics post welding fun tomorrow.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
Hi James,
 The tray I used I picked up in the kitchen ware section of the red shed when R was looking for something, the lite went on when she picked one up! I had a bit of 15 mm Ali channel, drilled a couple of hole in the tin legs. I guess you are going to use the angle on the main frame, between the saw supports?

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Joco

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
The top frame is a 700 x 400mm rectangle. Taking out the SHS size of 35mm still leaves a big "tray" area.  Unless I reduce it to only being between cross support beams.

Part of my thinking had been to have the whole area inside the top frame as a tray so I could easily add pumped coolant.  The large trap area would mean no risk of drips traveling outside of the catchment area.   Perhaps I'm over doing it?

I have that angle iron plus I have a sizeable amount of 2mm sheet to make the tray bottom to sit in the "L" of the angle iron.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal