Author Topic: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem  (Read 15675 times)

Offline Joco

Re: 6x4 Bandsaw Cart - project looking for a problem
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
This is the type of concept I'm aiming for re the top tray.  Full width and length coverage to capture all metal shavings and any form of coolant/lubricant system used.
Original thread at: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?354591-4x6-metal-bandsaw-stand-base-and-mods
By: wquiles
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
A little more done.   Welded up some angle iron to create the "lip" that the tray will be placed in.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 06:30:19 AM »
Continuing on with my theme of "just a little bit more" I've managed to make some progress in between other garage committments and my son wanting to make Woverine claws on the 3dprinter for a short film hes's doing with mates.

Got the cross supports setup and the saw off the old stand.  Things are all welded up now and ready for the next stage, putting the bolt tabs on.  Note: this pic was pre welding but other than some welds nothing really different.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
Last update for the weekend.  Started welding the tabs that will sit inside the bandsaw's casting.  They need to be at an 82 degree angle so a little bit of trig showed I need about a 5mm riser to get the required angle.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
woohoo!  :pinkelephant:  Finally got all the hold tabs welded and drilled and a trial bolt-up done.  Next will be welding the nuts on the back of the tabs, mounting and sealing the drip tray then paint paint paint.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
I don't have any welding skills but I do have one of these saws which has served me well so far but the modifications look like something that I will be considering in the future.
I do not have 3phase where I am in the country just 220 voltage which is the regular set up for residential. mostly just 110v motors. The whole hydraulic adjust-ability set up is definitely first on the list,   yes the spring adjustment is practically useless.

Mike 
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Joco

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »
Mike - I think the 3 phase motor and VFD is a little OTT for a hobby grade saw.  I do agree that the hydralic down feed would be a great upgrade over the spring.  Sourcing a suitable cylinder that isnt nearly a quarter the price of the saw is proving to be a challenge.  Up to the point I am seriously wondering if its viable to make one.  Could be an inerersting little project   :noidea:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »
What about converting a rear hatch door cylinder from a breakers yard?

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 07:19:32 AM »
Hi James,
 making steady progress...

here ya go for your hydraulic cylinder!     http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-hydraulic-cylinder.html

Theres plenty of options on Google....but like you say finding a cylinder down under that doesn't use up a years worth of moths...errrr workshop budget is a mission. The one above uses a length of tube.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
Kerrin - that's an awesome link and should be a fun little project to make the cylinder.   Fortunately I've been a member of that yahoo group for a while to found the drawings that are ultimately referred to reasonably quickly once I went looking in the files section.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
Some more good progress with the switch being remounted and a new fitting to "knock" the off button in its new position.

The base fits nicely on the finalised mounting tabs (set on the inside of the casting base) with the bolts nuts welded on to to angled tabs.

Now to start working on the cut off support table.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Some more progress.   Key steps forward being:
[1] Frame painted up (pic #1 & 2)
[2] drip tray secured in place with drain plug installed to support coolant system (pic #1 & 2)
[3] new mounts for switch and the cut depth stop (pic #3)
[4] version 1 of a cutoff "table" built and installed (pic 4 & 5)

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
Bandsaw mounted on newly painted cart ready for work on coolant/lubricant system and putting some cupboard space under it for bits and pieces.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »
Hi James,
 Coming along nicely! Dam! Now I gotta figure how to add the side table.........

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Kerrin - have a look at a previous posts pics. If you use the 12mm round bar that the length stop is mounted on that comes with most of these saws you should see how I have gone about it.  Not that my approach is original at all.

One learning is that I welded my mounting blocks and the beads have pulled the ends of the table down a bit so its not as flat as I would like.  Okay for a starting position but not as good as I finally want it to be.  I didn't think the 6mm steel would pull like that.  Oh well, all about learning.

Also watch out for how parallel the bar is to the saws cutting surface. From what I have read its never parallel and mine certainly wasn't.  Out but a couple of mm between the ends.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal