Author Topic: Adding dial indicator to lathe tailstock  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Adding dial indicator to lathe tailstock
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
A few months ago, I started a thread about using a long stroke dial indicator to indicate carriage travel on my lathe. I bought a 2" stroke dial indicator, but as I got deeper and deeper into it, I came to realize that nothing actually beats a DRO set-up. So, I spent some of the Rupnow fortune on a nice DRO set-up and installed it on my lathe. It's wonderful!!! If you have the money to do so, then by all means buy one. They are worth whatever you have to pay.--However, that left me with a 2" stroke dial indicator and still no way to accurately monitor the travel of my tailstock quill. Today was one of those rare days when I had absolutely nothing else to do, so I made up a bracket and installed the dial indicator on my tailstock. I even got real fancy, and made a video of it working. It wasn't until I replayed the video that I realized I had said "2" DRO" instead of "2" dial indicator". Ah well, bad on me. I'm not going to make a new video just to get the wording right.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Adding dial indicator to lathe tailstock
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
And yes, here is my fumble mouthed video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7DK79dNxs&feature=youtu.be

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »
Looks good Brian :-)

The video is displayed as private, you'll need to make it public so we can see it.

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
Sorry Bill--I think I have fixed it. The part about making a You-tube video public always confuses me a bit. Whenever I post a YouTube video, I get an email asking me to "preview" the video. If I do, then it becomes "public" instead of "private". I did preview this one today, so I'm not certain why it would come up as "private".----Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal