Author Topic: New Member Norfolk UK  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Paulgy80

New Member Norfolk UK
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
Dear All

Delighted to join the group, I am a bit of a petrolhead and just love anything to do with engines. I have to say I will probably do more lurking and learning than posting.  Really keen to understand the size of the market?? How many people are into this hobby and what inspires them, me just love the smell of 2 stroke and Castrol R. Any thoughts for a first build, kit or plan?? Open to suggestions also what are your recommendations with regard to a CNC mill??

Regards

Paul

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: New Member Norfolk UK
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

There are quite few people out there each with their own take on model engines. Some make the most exquisite replicas, almost jewellery, some experiment with different designs of their own, some love castings, others prefer barstock, there's a space for everyone.

I would suggest a barstock engine from plans as a first build. When things go wrong, as they almost certainly will, you lose some time and a cheap piece of metal rather than a more costly casting.

I have not moved into CNC yet but I'm sure others will be able to help.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
Welcome, from Norfolk Massachusetts!
Do you have any machining experience?  And do you currently have any manual machines?

Not sure what's available for CNC in the UK.

John in the other Norfolk.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
Hi Paul and welcome to MEM.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »
Welcome to the group Paul.  You will find just about everything here in the way of engines so look around and see what inspires you.

Bill

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Welcome along Paul..................gone all misty eyed about Castrol R :Love:             Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the group!
Kim

Offline Paulgy80

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
Just a quick note to thank you all for the warm welcome, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
Welcome to MEM Paul.  :hi: This is a great place to hang out.

As was mentioned, if you elaborate on your experience and what equipment you have, folks will have a better idea of what to recommend for a build. The bar stock engine for a first build was a good suggestion. Myself, I've only been at this a little over a year and started with a simple wobbler engine and have slowly been getting more complicated with each build as my skills and tooling have improved.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Paulgy80

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
Yes sorry I didnt get around to elaborating.

Warco GH1236 lathe and Warco universal mill, both with DRO plus pedestal drill and the other odd's n sods thats in the garage. At work if I could be bothered to go in after work a Haas 3 axis CNC a 8 foot x 4 foot CNC router and a few other things, one of the really unique things is a CNC tube profiler. The Tube profiler can take a solid model tube structure and machine each tube accurately on both ends holding a tolerance of .1mm on profile shape, .2mm on length and ¼ of a degree on registration on the ends.

Experience, served a production engineering apprenticeship had a very long break away and have gotten back into engineering making light aircraft.

I use Autocad and Solidworks for CAD and for CAM I fumble my way around Mastrcam

Would quite like to get a small CNC mill for home.

Regards

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal