Author Topic: Triumph 650 Twin Engine  (Read 28592 times)

Offline mikemill

Triumph 650 Twin Engine
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
After months of trying to start the project the mists are clearing, so I can at last make a start on the 1/2 size 650 twin Triumph engine. Most drawings are complete except for the cylinder head and rocker boxes, more thinking required!!

Most materials resourced, some large lumps of ali for the crank cases, cast iron for the liners and flywheel and precision ground steel.
I will start with the con rods to get my eye in, as it’s some 30 years since I built an IC engine, namely the BR2 9 Cylinder Rotary, lets hope the memory of how do’s kicks in.

This is part of the GA drawing

Mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:41:13 AM by mikemill »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Triumph 650 Twin Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Should be a fantastic project Mike!! Looking forward to the first chips.

Bill

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »
Fantastic project.  :)

Have you seen this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhtDPkX5kw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhtDPkX5kw</a>

Nick

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
I'm looking forward to following along on this build Mike.  :popcorn: I went back and looked at your Introductory thread. You've done some fantastic models............no doubt this will be the same.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
With half scale, it will be very big for a model  :o

Offline mikemill

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »
 I started drawing at 1/3 but it came down to the valve timing gears the crank pinion was very small , so up it to ½ which made more sense.
Having made small scale models I now find them to fiddly, dropping 10BA nuts on the floor and spending time on your hands and knees looking for it, enough!!

Mike

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
I'll be following along Mike.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
Hi Mike,
All of my engines are 1/3 scale or smaller and the gears were the least of my problems. Nothing wrong with building bigger if you have the equipment for it. Being a life-long motorcyclist I'll be following along.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
Some advice sought regarding fixing con rod caps, I notice some people use cap screws into the rod, this would concern me about the screws coming loose through vibration. I am thinking of a cap screw through the rod and cap fixed with two half nuts locking together. Aircraft practice used to be a castle nut wired through the bolt to stop it undoing,
When before the old queen died I rebuilt my fist car engine an old Hillman, that had tab washers where the tab was folded over the nut to secure it. I have seen an engine that had thrown a rod through the side of the block, not a pretty sight.

Mike

Offline Shadow

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:08:03 AM »
Not to get too far off topic, I scattered the front cylinder on a Knucklehead at 75mph. The big end, although one piece,was not the worst problem.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:36 AM »
Not to get too far off topic, I scattered the front cylinder on a Knucklehead at 75mph. The big end, although one piece,was not the worst problem.

That must of been quite the surprise!  :censored: So how fast did you get the clutch pulled in?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
I have seen cap heads drilled through and wired which would be an option. You can drill the heads and just wire them or drill the end of the thread and use castle nuts. Though modern thread locks would probably be quite adequate.

I did put the conrrod through the side of my Mums VW Golf, interesting watching the bits of engine bouncing about on teh M25 in the rear view mirror!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
After months of trying to start the project the mists are clearing, so I can at last make a start on the 1/2 size 650 twin Triumph engine. Most drawings are complete except for the cylinder head and rocker boxes, more thinking required!!

Most materials resourced, some large lumps of ali for the crank cases, cast iron for the liners and flywheel and precision ground steel.
I will start with the con rods to get my eye in, as it’s some 30 years since I built an IC engine, namely the BR2 9 Cylinder Rotary, lets hope the memory of how do’s kicks in.

This is part of the GA drawing

Mike

I like the big happy face drawing..........oh .i see it now !!!!!

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »
I formerly worked for a bolt supplier and there were fasteners with a factory applied strip across the threads I believe they were called nylocks. Sold to machinery people. Better than the hardware store type.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Back in the 70's I threw a con rod through the side of a 427 Ford wedge motor.  :facepalm2: :facepalm: Today it would bring stupid money, but back then it was just factory studs and nuts on the rods big end   

Eric

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal