Author Topic: Burr File  (Read 4029 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Burr File
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 04:30:08 AM »
Well, what little I know I picked up 40 years ago from the old guys in the shop I was in at the time. In fact, one of them gave me the stone I still use. I use it for tool bits also. Joe, rest in peace.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
Here is what a "Burr File" looks liks. :-)
   ...lew...

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
Sitting by the fire reading Connelly

A guaranteed formula for a snooze!  :).  I'm late to the party, just noticed the thread.  You've likely got a machine or two scraped by now....but for posterity...

You've correctly surmised what deburing file is.  You stone the teeth down until the file has zero bite.  It will skate over something flat without harm, but any burrs protruding will get caught between the teeth and knocked off.  Its an important step as scraping is working to a 10th (heck the DOC is about that so its not bragging, just the reality) so burrs, even if you can't see them, need to be removed.  Its the right tool for the job because it only removes material that is raised.  I'll sometimes use a hard arkansas stone as well with the theory that they cut so slowly you won't be doing much of anything except knocking down the burrs. 

Here's a few images from my HSM series on scraping.  Its a simple enough thing it hardly needs photos, but they make it more interesting :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:43:17 PM by Mcgyver »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal