Author Topic: Prusa Mk3  (Read 3258 times)

Online Twizseven

Prusa Mk3
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Hi there,

Has anyone on here brought one of the new Prusa Mk3 3D printers (kit or prebuilt).

Lot of the various reviewers think quite highly of it.  Was wondering if anyone on here had any real world views on it.

Thanks,

Colin

Offline lohring

Re: Prusa Mk3
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
I have one I built from a kit.  It's not trivial to assemble, but the instructions are very clear.  Because it's my first 3D printer, I can't give comparison opinions.  It seems to work very well and has printed continuously for the last several months.  I've printed successfully with nylon and Ninjaflex as well as PTEG and PLA.  I'm currently having an issue with the X axis but their support has been outstanding.

Lohring Miller

Online Twizseven

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
Lohring,

Glad to see it has worked okay for you, hope you get the X axis issues sorted.

I am looking at the kit version.  My problem is getting to grips with Turbocad 2018 Pro.

At moment I am trying to find (online) a 2 axis speaker type wall-mount to use for a fixing directional patch antenna for wi-fi systems.

Colin

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »
Built mine from a kit.  Performs very well, but things do break and the printer does require maintenance from time to time for that reason.  Prusa continuously updates the design and their support is top notch.

I highly recommend the kit because you will get a full understanding of how it goes together and how to fix it when it breaks.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
I started with a kit. It was a disaster. Good kit with good reviews. The problem was a mismatch between what I thought I wanted and what got. I naively thought it was a 'put together and start printing'. No. Lots of learning of tools, lots of tweaking, and lots of experimentation (many failed prints) to get the right settings for different plastics and vendors. Next printer was a 'print out of box' and I was a happy guy. Point is, understand why you want the printer. Frankly, having had success (and learning) with the 2nd printer has rejuvenated my interest in a kit.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline lohring

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:34:33 PM »
My prints have all worked well with the Slic3r settings for the material.  Bed adhesion has been my most serious issue.  I have been using the textured bed and it's great for PETG and Ninjaflex.  I've needed rafts under other materials to get adequate adhesion.  It's very important to watch the first layers.  If they set down well the rest will be fine.  If you don't catch the problem early, you get a blob of material on the end of the hot end that's a problem to remove.  Eventually the over temperature protection will stop the printer but the blob will be huge.

Lohring Miller

Online Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
Well, it's ordered.  Just need to build it when it arrives.  To speed things up I have ordered with the smooth PEI bed, not the textured one.  May be mistake but will wait and see.

Have sold a Myford 7 from my workshop so now have somewhere to put it.  It might be a bit too cool , but will have to wait and see.  May need a case round it.

Now to try and find time to learn Turbocad 2018 Pro.

If anyone has any CAD drawings for tray/drawer liners for reamers or collets etc. I would love to see them.

Colin

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
Sorry i am late to this discussion.

There are a whole lot of worse kits on the market that a prusa mark 3. I do not personalty own one. They are a bit out of my price range.
They are quite popular and i have never heard anything bad about them other than the design is a bit flimsy.(IMHO this is just a preference issue) Prusa has about two hundred of his machines he makes part with every day so they can not be bad machines.
I have a prusa clone  kit i built works fine for me . the biggest issue i have is feeding the filament. feed it from above  and it works fine. 

If you plan on printing ABS you will need an enclosure . PLA should print fine as is.

As far as CAD the stl file format is pretty much standard.

123D Design or fusion 360 may be a better choice.

Check thiniverse and youmagine before deigning from scratch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1730797
congrats on the new printer
hope this helps.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »
Well it turned up early November, but left it to yesterday and today to build when I knew I would have some free time.

Had little unwanted help as you can see.

First two printed items shown.  Took couple of goes to get the printhead height correct to get the PLA to stick to bed.

I think they look reasonable.  The first go at Benchy did not stick, did one layer then came loose.

Any suggestions for change, I just used the built in defaults.

Colin

Offline wdeputy

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »
I just finished putting mine together and it's a great printer IMHO.  Trying to get the first layer settings adjusted but will likely spend the afternoon working on it.  Have not heard any bad reviews on this machine.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
The first couple of attempts at the PRUSA logo plaque struggled.  The plastic was not adhering to the bed.  The corners of the test were all moving around on the bed.  Lowered the nozzle to -.200 and this was a bit better,  Next attempt to -.500.  Final attempt at -.600 worked ok.  The plaque printed out well.  Then tried Benchy.  First time the plastic did not adhere and I had a nice little knot of plastic at end of first layer.  Cleaned the bed again with ISOCLENE  (isopropyl alcohol) in a spray bottle and it worked okay.

Think this could be quite a learning curve.  Still need to learn Turbocad 2018 Pro to try and draw a few things.  I want to try a set off 2 axis speaker stands I have found on Thingiverse.  See if I can make them into patch antenna mounts for small directional antenna.

The cats not to sure about the printer.  He normally keeps me company on the desk.  Trips over keyboard. sleeps on bits of paper, stands on Hibermate key.  Love him to bits but don't think hot bed and nose will go together, or even paws and stepper motor belts.

Colin

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:38:35 PM »
Just got this one for the shop/my son

https://www.amazon.com/QIDI-TECHNOLOGY-Printer-Newest-Model/dp/B076BLQWHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545691017&sr=8-1&keywords=qidi

Not a Prusa, but it shows that the market is very competitive, and very inexpensive comparatively from say 5 years ago.

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
The first couple of attempts at the PRUSA logo plaque struggled.  The plastic was not adhering to the bed.

Do not feel bad been at this for IIRC 4 years still have to adjust for first layer . And you are corect cleaning he bed does make a difference. the new print surfaces seem to pick up oil from hands etc.  if you get too frustrated glass bed and hairspray work well. depending on your bed probe.

Still need to learn Turbocad 2018 Pro to try and draw a few things.
Do not be afraid to try 123d design it has been orphaned but still good to cut your teeth on.

fusion 360 seems to be the go to for 3d cad it is free for hobbyists

The cats not to sure about the printer.  He normally keeps me company on the desk.  Trips over keyboard. sleeps on bits of paper, stands on Hibermate key.  Love him to bits but don't think hot bed and nose will go together, or even paws and stepper motor belts.
IMHO this is a genuine concern . we have two cats that are not allowed on tables counters and workbenches. so they are safe on the floor and other furniture.

You may need to make or buy an enclosure to protect the cat and the printer prom playing.  That way neither get damaged. 

Dave  congrats on the new printer. Let us know how it works out for you. There are a Zillion Chinese knock offs on the market. A few have earned a good reputation . some are trying hard to gain a good rep and some just build something that resembles a 3d printer.

I looked at the QIDI web page this am they offer quite a few models there home page is well layed out  but start looking around and you hit empty links. Or links with no real information.  IIRC it is makerbot based and does not run g code. you need to use there software.like i said let us know your experience.
Prusa on the other hand is very open source uses bond tech extuders  E3d hot ends and USA made control boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal