Author Topic: Building a Vickie Hot Air Engine  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Jack

Building a Vickie Hot Air Engine
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
After being bored while I wait for Spring to get here I decided to get to work and build something. This is what I came up with.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNzhR9gCuYk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNzhR9gCuYk</a> frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still have some polishing and tweeking to do before it takes it place in the thophy room along with my other models.

Thanks for looking

Jack

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Building a Vickie Hot Air Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:15:55 AM »
Nice job the the "Vickie" Jack. Its a beautiful engine and yours is running very well from what I see in the video. Do you find it is rather stiff when totally cool and takes a while to heat up and run once you apply the heat to it. Mine has been that way from the beginning, but once it's warmed up it runs like a sewing machine. There is a lot of metal there to act as a heat sink for sure.

Again, well done.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:36 AM »
After being bored while I wait for Spring to get here I decided to get to work and build something. This is what I came up with.

Well I wish I were your kind of bored!

Looks and runs great. Nice job!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:28:31 AM »
That's a nice looking and running engine Jack. Well done.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jack

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:50:45 AM »
Thanks All

I tried my best to make sure that all the measurements were right on the money and i polished until there was absolutely no binding or tight spots. I also made paper gaskets for all mating parts in addition to the big thick gasket between the hot cap and the Corian insulator. After that I had it running within a few minutes after I applied the heat. It does take several minutes to get get hot and running but then the flame can be pulled away a little and it will slow down to a slower rpm rate. I don't know if the slight ticking sound is suppose to be there but IT RUNS and I am HAPPY

Jack

Always building something  :cartwheel:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal