Author Topic: Skills gap  (Read 16115 times)

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
Re: Skills gap
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »
Experiences, interests and prejudices usually inform and condition the responses in this type of discussion. I would put it that much of what has been said is both true and obvious and originates from the above sources.

Our attitudes, society, existing technologies are largely left overs from the twentieth century, remember we have a generation of ‘nearly adults’ who certainly view the ideas of that now past time as not particularly credible for the future. The 21st like the the end of the 18th century and  early 19th will likely parallel each other with massive dislocations and enormous technological shifts causing frustrations, clinging to the past, its practices and looking for targets to blame for particular failures during the process and time of transition.

All sections of society seem to be ‘complaining’, but I doubt it is just a ‘culture of complaint’. It is perhaps indicative of the fundamental shifts in how things will be organised and done. For some a disorienting and unpleasant prospect.

There are probably few of us that have an inkling of what is required for a 2050s twenty year old, but I seriously doubt looking backwards will produce the teachers nor education they need. Regards Paul Gough.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Experiences, interests and prejudices usually inform and condition the responses in this type of discussion. I would put it that much of what has been said is both true and obvious and originates from the above sources.

Our attitudes, society, existing technologies are largely left overs from the twentieth century, remember we have a generation of ‘nearly adults’ who certainly view the ideas of that now past time as not particularly credible for the future. The 21st like the the end of the 18th century and  early 19th will likely parallel each other with massive dislocations and enormous technological shifts causing frustrations, clinging to the past, its practices and looking for targets to blame for particular failures during the process and time of transition.

All sections of society seem to be ‘complaining’, but I doubt it is just a ‘culture of complaint’. It is perhaps indicative of the fundamental shifts in how things will be organised and done. For some a disorienting and unpleasant prospect.

There are probably few of us that have an inkling of what is required for a 2050s twenty year old, but I seriously doubt looking backwards will produce the teachers nor education they need. Regards Paul Gough.

Hence my comments Paul, teaching someone in the future will be a challenge, for sure, but some basic values need to be there as a foundation for learning and perspective.   Its been said that scientific knowledge doubles every 7 years, but some of the basic values are timeless IMO, and still present a good prism to look through while embracing the future.    Human knowledge may increase, but the human condition hasn't changed much.

I'm more concerned about the "entitlement" generation, I still think that hard work, and effort will still be required in 2050.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »
+1 Dave. It's the fact that we're not teaching them how to learn or opening their path to learning if it doesn't meet the "requirements". You will never train a good hunting dog if they don't know the basic commands ( a redneck analogy) . A funny aside: I came through the kitchen the other day singing: "I saw The Light" : I saw two of my girls looking at me and I ask them if they had ever heard the song? Nope: who sings it? I rest my case

Eric

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
Dave, I was principally addressing what might be said to be the more functional or technical aspects of life and fully concur that basic interpersonal behaviours and attitudes are foundational for any society and need to be passed on.

Eric, I think your being a bit hard on your daughters, I suspect most young ones would not know 'who' sings it. 1948 is a significant step into the past. I certainly would not have known 'who sang it' from the 1890s! Regards, Paul gough.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »
"I saw the light"...very popular religious tune. Eric may be referring to that. You wouldn't here that in schools...but in church.

I'll still point out 'root cause'. We can keep going about what's wrong but until we address 'why' it went wrong (or is going wrong)...it won't improve.
If the schools aren't providing...or even the parents...there's a root cause to that.

In other words...the problem isn't the schools. The problem is why the schools are not able to provide the education we are calling for.

Another theory/fact I have for why we see a decrease in life skills, vo-tech, even driver's school...is liability.
This country tends to protect the 'one' rather than the 'group'.

Crap happens. And while it's not a bad thing to try and prevent it...there's a real issue when that protection over-rides everything else.

Sort of like this...a million people enjoy walking in the park. One person is accosted. They close the park. One million people no longer can enjoy the park.
It's a hard balance to make...but we're going too far.

If all we do is protect protect protect then we won't push the boundaries. There's always a cost. I don't want it to be me or my family. But we're part of a system.

But my main point is...understand the root cause. And it's not the schools. They are a product of our society.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
In my opinion..
 The schools aren't totally to blame. I don't think it's an education problem. I grew up in an area rich in the tool & die industry & manufacturing. We (had) very big industry here, the schools provided for that. It worked well for a time, then we saw those industries close. I've worked for a couple of large "American" companies, as many of my friends have, that have pulled "Stakes" & moved to other countries seeking other "Cheaper" labor means...

I'm pretty sure the area I live in isn't interested in "STEM" tech...they moved it all out. The jobs aren't here anymore.

My own community doesn't seem too interested in teaching engineering type programs...Although, I get updates telling me there are 2000 jobs available in (Name your city) daily...If you want to babysit a plastic machine..Sure every job is essential...but at what cost? Life sustaining?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:55 AM »
One thing is clear: What worked in the past won't work for the future. It's clear that the need is to teach how to learn. I get the feeling that there aren't many who know how to do that....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:46 AM »
What worked in the past won't work for the future
That is true in one sense, as far as tools perhaps.  But it's always been about problem solving and having the curiosity to "fix" something.  The tools always change, lathes, axes, hammers, computers, mass spectrometers, tools that haven't been invented yet etc. but wherever I ever worked the problem solvers were the folks in demand.  It takes something special to make a problem solver, but I think curiosity, motivation with the proper tools trump any formal education.  The tools may be acquired in the latter, but that is not necessarily a given.  Just my observations after 70 years  :naughty:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 03:00:52 AM »
I agree, Phil. Problem solvers will always be in demand whether in mechanics or any other endevor. Problem solvers know how to think and learn, I believe, which is why they can solve problems. So how do we teach that skill? Not everyone can be a real whiz but everyone should be able to figure out some basic stuff at least! And it will be different for different people, obviously. So what's the basics of learning we should be teaching? I really don't know...

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »
I don't have the answer, but I think it has a lot to do with taking the creative stuff out of the schools (art, music, shop, home economics, etc.). At one time there was pretty much something for anyone to do some creative thinking. Don't know how we get it back ............now that it's gone.  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:54 AM »
I do know that the more kids are exposed to, from the start, the less likely they are to be lost in later life. They need to be seriously exposed or engaged in as many activities/interests/fields/disciplines/whatever as possible consistent with their age. You just can't predict what will catch their interest or stick with them. And that broad exposure can in itself teach them about the diversity of 'things to do' as well as human cultures.

And they have to be raised that way, right from the start. We did with our boys. We didn't care, within reason, what they ended up doing in life as long as they could think and sort out lifes crap enough to make good decisions. I think we suceeded. I'm a bit sad myself that neither one could sustain an interest in things mechanical. But I guess in the eyes of kids growing up in the beginning of the computer age it was to be expected that they would go that route. Quite successfully I might add!
Oldest is 50, youngest is 48.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
The bulk of human knowledge is recorded in text, be it printed books or digitised text. This text is accompanied by explanatory diagrams and pictures.

In my generation our learning was text based. Knowledge was gained by reading and absorbing the text then using that to interpret any accompanying images.

Today we seem to have glossed over the importance of the written word and it's meaning in favour of images replacing the written word.

That's all well and good provided the ability to read and understand the meaning of what's being read without an image is part of your learning experience.

The attitude today supported by our principal educators seems to be that the ability to spell correctly or the ability to write cursive script is no longer required.

Schools are not to blame for this, parents are for allowing it to happen.

Batteries were not and nor should they be a requirement to participate in the learning experience.

Technology is a wonderful aid to life in many ways but when I see two high school kids sitting feet, (metres), apart using their smart phones to communicate with each other...............My conclusion is the phones maybe smart but both of them are kinda dumb and isolated from each other and the rest of society.

Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »
I've seen the same two people doing just as you describe. Ask them to have a conversation.....???? :facepalm:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »
IMHO one of the biggest enemies of the future is apathy. Ignorance to some degree  can be cured with knowledge and education. There is lot of knowledge on the net and a lot can be turned into skills . But few do.
I also think things went down hill when the bible and prayer was taken from schools . How can you teach anything if you are not allowed to teach right from wrong.

The local maker space was opened up to 10  deserving local high school students. Some benefactor put out the funds to cover the costs IIRC $ 10,000 for classes in several subjects and 6 month membership to the makers space. a year program.  10 students were selected and 10 alternates. of the 20 students 8 showed for the first class.
and i think it went down from there I need to try to remember to ask but  probably 4 students still in the program.

Technology is a wonderful aid to life in many ways but when I see two high school kids sitting feet, (metres), apart using their smart phones to communicate with each other...............My conclusion is the phones maybe smart but both of them are kinda dumb and isolated from each other and the rest of society.

It bothers me the number of folks that pay more attention to there screen than surroundings. Maybe we should turn the screens off on sunday  ad rest from them if not  for religious reasons for the sake of sanity.
And i love my screens too  it would be tough forme.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »
I would like to say that "Learning How to Learn" seems to come from a wide range of experiences in life added to a "Lesson" that incorporates the expectation that problem-solving will take place, and that there will be a variety of solutions as a result.

The result is that creativity is expected on the part of the "teacher" as well as the "learner." Creativity means both in terms of whether the problem is solved and whether an alternative is needed to evaluate the solution.

What I mean above (I think) is that all of the attempts to "standardize" everything are at cross purposes with SOME of this. I don't mean there should not be standards, I just think that the individual (local, if you will) situation needs to be part of the discussion.

I personally believe that students should be exposed to a wide range of experiences and that creative new ways need to be found to do this.

I also believe that "What is a Job" needs to be seen in a new light and accommodations need to exist for the "Lifelong Learners" we need.

ShopShoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal