Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100681 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Gardening
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
'folks'...that reminds me. A colleague from work, who immigrated from China, once asked me if what I meant by 'folks'...was meaning parents.
Yes. I refer to my parents as 'the folks'. Or T's parents as 'her folks'.

I don't know if that's an Ozark thing.

Who else would I call 'the folks'?

Regarding the term 'folks' I've lived in the NW my whole life and it's not uncommon to hear people refer to their parents as their folks.  It is rather context specific though, because folks can also refer to a general group of people.

Kim

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »
Same here in Ontario, and also when I lived in Alberta and British Columbia.... Folks were either Mom and Dad, or a group.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »
Interesting. I can't say I've heard it out here in Pennsylvania. But it may be that I just never noticed.
The term is so natural to me.

Bags versus sacks, or soda versus pop is something else.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
Same here. We say: “spent Sunday at the folks house”  and then you hear a speaker address a crowd with: “ folks, now I’m hear to tell you”. But that’s Springbucket

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:01 AM »
Interesting. I can't say I've heard it out here in Pennsylvania. But it may be that I just never noticed.
The term is so natural to me.

Bags versus sacks, or soda versus pop is something else.  ;D
Zee - surprised to hear that you don't know it from the german 'volks', which is where it apparently derived from.   :shrug:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »
Snake   :paranoia:

Big SNAKE and she has laid her eggs in my compost heap again :cussing:

Thankfully I have just finished weeding the flower beds so I'll be hiding in the workshop for a while

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #336 on: June 16, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
I've not seen the grass snakes around the pond this year, they have usually appeared by now in previous years.

Did have this little chap stop by yesterday

Aren't you watching Le Mans? More overtaking in one lap of that than a whole F1 race :LittleDevil: I like the look of that retro Rothmans Porsche

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/05/porsche-pink-pig-rothmans-livery-le-mans/#slide-7347528
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:55:41 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
Arn't you watching Le Mans? More overtaking in one lap of that than a whole F1 race :LittleDevil: I like the look of that retro Rothmans Porsche

:cussing: all I have on the goggle box is    :censored: Football, in another couple of weeks they will "improve" that with Tennis    .

TV is so dreary it drives a woman to fondling casting sets with her  :wine1:

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2018, 05:57:28 PM »

Arn't you watching Le Mans? More overtaking in one lap of that than a whole F1 race

We should have been there, live at Le Mans.

We have been to Le mans 23 times in a row but this year we missed going. It would have been the our 24th 24 hour.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
Jo you will have to divert a bit of that casting budget to Sky or Virgin :LittleDevil:

Looks like someone is streaming it live on Youtube, I take it you have your smart TV set up to show you-tube or are you still watching a B&W set :mischief:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kdXLrCHQyU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kdXLrCHQyU</a>

Or the Rock Bouncers are at it again state side

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HqxLno78g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HqxLno78g</a>

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:13 PM »
Jo you will have to divert a bit of that casting budget to Sky or Virgin :LittleDevil:

:lolb:

I have better things to spend my money on as you should see around my Birthday  :-X but it would be nice to go to a couple of live races once again what I need is a :embarassed:

Jo

Actually mine are B&O sets  ::)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #341 on: June 16, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
I thought you ladies were supposed to be able to multi-task, you could watch while you fondle :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
I thought you ladies were supposed to be able to multi-task, you could watch while you fondle :)
I can fondle castings at the same time as  :wine1:

That does not mean I am  :censored: enough to fund the  :censored: the sooner all of the sport goes to pay only Tv the better, stop wasting my license fee payer money on it :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #343 on: July 01, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »
Yesterday we had the first of the beetroot  :P Thanks to still having the netting up the beetroot eater has not got in there to wreak havoc instead he has eaten everything around the garden that was green and tender, what he hasn't eaten has shrivelled up and died due to the current heat wave   :disappointed:

The onion numbers are dwindling as it has been confirmed I have white rot in the beds  :toilet_claw: Beyond them is the battle for the beds where the potatoes and the courgettes are still fighting it out for world domination  ::) Sadly the pots along the side of the greenhouse have shrivelled up and I am not expecting much :ShakeHead: But I have had two very nice meals of new potatoes so far and hope to do the same this evening along with picking the first of my beans

Dave thanks for the Lettuce finally after you told me to repot them they are picking up  :ThumbsUp: As for the tomatoes they are getting bigger and bigger I just need them to start turning red  :)

Did I mention: Its a bad year for horse flies  :rant:

Jo

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #344 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
Hi Jo,
 Looking good! I’ll send you some of the cool wet weather to help out! As to your “friend” sounds like a diagram hung up in the garden with all the best cuts hi lighted to drop the hit that he’s next might help :ROFL:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal