Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 101055 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Gardening
« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
I’ve just popped in on this one again. Chestnut wood: it brings an absorbent price on this side of the pond. Back before whatever blight , in whatever year, killed all the chestnuts over here, it was a popular choice for woodwork and trim for the wealthy. Now that a lot of those homes are being restored and the “new wealthy” want to recreate; the price of chestnut is off the chart. Jo, over here, the smaller splitters that would be any good for you would be in the $1500-1800US range. I also use an electric chainsaw for all the wood in our BBQ business. We use the Stihl commercial series, and find that with the lower RPM, less heat is generated, meaning longer chain life, and we cut a lotta wood. Sunny and 82F here today and Lou has invited me for a drink and a swim after dinner  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
Don't forget peeps  this is on next week ,so lets hope it is warm !!!

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
Hm.  Might be something that would get me interested in gardening.  Wonder if the missus would be game... :mischief: :LittleDevil:

Jo, is that a Fiskar axe leaning on the shed?  How d'ya like it?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
Jo, is that a Fiskar axe leaning on the shed?  How d'ya like it?

So that isn't a Fiskar  :disagree: It is a Bacho, I have been very pleased with it, especially the fast splitting head. I have some of the cheaper single angle splitting head axes before and I am now convinced that really they are nothing better than wedges on a handle for someone to hold it in place when it is hit with the sledge hammer.

Thanks Big E, I would like to try out one of those cheap electric splitter to see if they are better than I suspect but most claim they cut up to 12" and that size is a total non event with the hand splitter. It is things like those massive base rings that are the challenge and there is no way I could even lift those up to get them on an electric splitter  :hellno:

Once the easy ones are over I will be able to get at the grenade and then comes the long haul with the chainsaw of splitting the horrible bits. At least the chainsaw is not finding any problems with this stuff... Ever tried doing anything with 2 month old Eucalyptus  :toilet_claw:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #274 on: May 02, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »
Chainsaw and grenade from now onwards  :wine1:

And then hope for good weather for a HUGE bonfire of the frith at the weekend  >:D

Jo

« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
Being in the BBQ business, we use predominantly hickory and oak. The “foo foo, new generation “ uses apple, cherry , and such. I’m kinda curious as to how a chestnut wood smoked meat would taste  :shrug:

Cletus

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #276 on: May 02, 2018, 06:36:35 PM »
Sorry no idea all of that will be going in my log burner. It is a very soft wood almost as bad as Leylandi

Just found this: https://hotsmoked.co.uk/smoking-woods/chestnut-wood-chips.html  :o And I was going to put all the saw dust on the flowerbeds as mulch  ::)

Jo

« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Looks like you need to be chipping and bagging. At those prices; you could increase the casting holding with jus “chips from your property “  :stir:: no moths would be harmed  :lolb:

Big E

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2018, 11:33:45 PM »
Hi Jo,
 Round this part of the globe you can hire log splitters.......elf & safety haven’t got them banded yet! They aren’t the sort of item you use a lot, might be worth a look.
Looking like spring has arrived big time in your garden.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
Maybe when I get older I will think about hiring one, thanks Kerrin  :ThumbsUp: I'll try to remember to post a couple of pics of the flowerbeds once I have mowed the lawn  ::)

So on with the clearing I started with the bits that needed to be chain sawed rather than split then started thinking about the huge rings that I can't move :toilet_claw:

At this point I could hear a certain someone humming his happy casting fondling tune  :thinking: Then I realised  :o it is Thursday and Surus isn't sitting on the Dinning room table, he has skadoodled off to the library and as it is Thursday is helping himself to my castings   :hellno:  Time to call it an early night and make sure I know what he is up to  :wine1:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
:thinking: Still not convinced that shredding all of this is a good idea... 30 mins and one wheelbarrow load to show for it  :noidea:

Just found my ear defenders - I bet my neighbours are going to love this  :Lol:

Jo

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »
Ye Gods !!!! Half an hour for that bit  :headscratch:

Mine would take about 5 mins. and it's quiet. Doubt if MY neighbours would hear it.

Do you have to push the stuff into the blade?

Mine has one of the 'slab-mill' chopper-uppers, like this:

www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/product/bosch-axt-25-d-quiet-garden-shredder

Lower left piccy.  :ThumbsUp:

Mine is a predecessor of that model but the principle is the same. Once it grabs the material it pulls it in.  It's done for.

Those bitty things you have would be no problem.

Flog some castings and buy a proper one .....  :stir:    ;)

Dave

White Bells look nice .. :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:46:40 AM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
Yes you have to hand push the stuff in  :(  The blade is a disc with two side blades that does the damage, plastic box is designed to improve the sound output  :Lol: Two hours three barrow loads  :facepalm:

That looks a better design... Are you sure you don't need a replacement Dave  ::)

I promise some pics of the blue, pink and white bells later  ;)

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #283 on: May 04, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
The slab blade ones work very well.  I bought an Aldi special (£99 IIRC) about 4 years ago and it is quiet, adjustable, feeds back out if required to clear a ja.  Works a dream.

Colin

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #284 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »

That looks a better design... Are you sure you don't need a replacement Dave  ::)

Jo

Nope, I don't need a replacement. As I no longer have any use for the one I have I was going to offer it to you the last time I came down but Tojo-2 was stuffed full so it stayed here.   :headscratch:   It is in the way

Yours if you want it   :ThumbsUp:

It's a AXT 2200HP  .... which I presume is 2.2kW  or 2.2 HP ... I doubt very much if it's 2200 Horsepower ...  :Lol:

PS Get a pair of croccy clips and attach it to the 400kV grid. You might get 2200HP   :zap:  Try it and report back. We're all agog ....  :lolb:

Piccy Att.   

Dave
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:10:08 PM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal