Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100699 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Gardening
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
Could it have just been sparking across a broken live or neutral, that would explain why you needed to jiggle the cables and would not be a short so fuse would stay intact.

The bonsai have kept me out of the workshop over the last few weekends but I have now got all the ones that needed repotting done. I like them best at this time of year just as the leaves have opened and larch needles come out. Last pic shows Jo why it is hard for me to get some of the trees into the greenhouse to repot when the weather is bad, as the soil is 75% granite grit it must weight over 50kg and another 15 or so for the pot.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:17:28 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »
Could it have just been sparking across a broken live or neutral, that would explain why you needed to jiggle the cables and would not be a short so fuse would stay intact

Piccy looks as if there is molten copper so more likely a s / cct.
Cables often rupture just after the strain relief because they are wound up too tight after use ... Yes. I do too  :embarassed:  I noticed a split in the insulation on my 4" angle grinder cable a few weeks ago and had to re-do the connection.

I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!!!

But then I'm but a poor sinner ....  :D

Dave

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2018, 03:37:44 PM »
Hi Jason,
 Very nice looking trees! Whats the average age?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
I've had most of what's there for 28-30 years and they would have been 10-15 years old when bought so 40-45 years old.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
Thanks Jason,
I tried a couple of times......killed them with kindness! Luckily, or not for the trees, they were only very young

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2018, 03:24:47 AM »
Let me preface: I'm not a gardener.  Too many years spent growing up on a small family farm, where if you weren't working on some other chore (Dad, can I help you in the shop?), you were on hands and knees weeding the garden.  Bleah.  When the missus is gardening, I'd rather be in the garage, working on the latest spinny thing...

:stickpoke: But SWMBO complained that her hanging pot hooks, i.e. bent "shepherd's crooks" from 1/2" iron rod, were too flimsy to hold her new strawberry pots.  She wants them off the ground, so the slugs can't get at them.  But the pots weigh too much, and the rod wants to buckle and tip, and the soil is too soft from the April rains, to keep the things standing.

Well, that sounded like an engineering challenge, and what red-blooded metalsmith would ignore same?

Pics below:

#1 shows the before (well, the un-modified one, left alone to continue holding up a lightweight windchime)
#2 shows the double-hooked variety, modified by welding it inside a bit of 3/4" steel pipe to stiffen up the vertical rod, and a foot leg welded on the tippy axis to help it prop against the soft soil, and the whole kit shoved into the ground alongside the patio which supports in the off-axis. 
#3 shows the weakest one (thinner rod, maybe 3/8"?), modified to stand alone with a double-cross base of 1.5x3/4 in. rectangular tube leftover from the milling machine base, and the remainder of the 3/4" pipe to stiffen the vertical standard. 

So, a honey-do "gardening" task completed, but I got to spend time with the TIG welder :whoohoo:.  Pretty cool  8) 

We'll see if any lasting brownie points were tallied up. Astute observers will note a post-welding beverage aside the freshly painted hook in the last photo, shout out to Mr. Jameson and Co. :wine1:

Now the slate is cleared, maybe I'll get back to my latest engine project.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
I bet she appreciated those  :cheers:

Between my trusty bandsaw and the electric chain saw the Pear tree has been rescued from under the heap of branches. The branches are now in the wood store which is already three layers deep in the bay  :cartwheel:

So the choice:  :wine1: or play with the chopper  :naughty: or both  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »
Pear wood - ever use those chunks to make a slab for model/craft work?  Supposedly a pretty good wood, with fine pores and reasonably tight grain.

Reminds me, I need to figure out a good mallet for knocking the drawbar down on the mini mill (my deadblow hammer is too big, and the other hammers might ding the drawbar nut), so maybe I'll whip out a light bronze/brass hammer head and whittle an alder tree branch for a handle.  Or go buy a smaller deadblow...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Reminds me, I need to figure out a good mallet for knocking the drawbar down on the mini mill (my deadblow hammer is too big, and the other hammers might ding the drawbar nut), so maybe I'll whip out a light bronze/brass hammer head and whittle an alder tree branch for a handle.  Or go buy a smaller deadblow...

I made one from the "Home Machinist's Handbook". Brass head with knurled aluminum handle. Might have been my 1st if not 2nd ever project. Worked well for the mini and works well for my new mill.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
Pear wood - ever use those chunks to make a slab for model/craft work?  Supposedly a pretty good wood, with fine pores and reasonably tight grain.

Pear and lemon are both great for ship models, my favorite picks. Very tight grain, crisp edges.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
What a woose   :-\ I hardly tickled it and thirst  :wine1: has won out  :disappointed:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »
Is it just me or has everybody got Michael Palin singing 'I'm a Lumberjack and I'm O.K.' running through their head .....  ???    :headscratch:

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2018, 07:03:05 PM »
Had I your shed and wood...it'd probably be destroyed within a year by termites.

I was doing a little reading about termites and the UK. Sounds like a rare problem but has started increasing since the 90's?

When we renovated our house last year...we discovered them in the garage as well as in part of the basement. Thankfully, insufficient damage to force repairs but still costly to take of.

Is it just me or has everybody got Michael Palin singing 'I'm a Lumberjack and I'm O.K.' running through their head .....  ???    :headscratch:

Dave  :cussing: It was just you. Now it's not.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
Don't you mean a Lumberjill?

Isn't it about time you treated yourself to a small hydraulic splitter Jo before you split yourself?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
Isn't it about time you treated yourself to a small hydraulic splitter Jo before you split yourself?

I was told they are not a lot of good  ::)

And I enjoy taking my frustrations from work out with an Axe  >:D

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal