Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100648 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Gardening
« Reply #195 on: October 06, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
That's it then for this year .... rather parky this AM.

5.2oC overnight.  :(  Nice day though. Clear blue sky and sunshine.

Tried to do a bit of DIY but the Snottite has gone all stiff in the cartridges. They're now in a bucket of hot water. Did think of a quick squirt through the microwave but decided against it.  :headscratch:

All is not lost. Must be the 'Rum in Coffee' season has come around again.   :cheers:

Dave

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:11:42 AM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
Yes, frozen courgettes this morning  :toilet_claw: the beetroot will be woody from now onwards  :disappointed:

At least the last few tomatoes are still ripening in the greenhouse. Sadly I lost one grow bag of my sandwich tomatoes to some sort of infection but I seem to have managed to restrain it to only that bag  :)

:wallbang: I knew there was something else I should have picked up at my supplier yesterday - 40% proof cold cure  :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
Those toms look nice. What sort are they?

I think I will give those things I grew a miss next year. Too big  :)

Had a laugh yesterday. I gave Mozz about a dozen leek plants earlier this year. Plonk 'em in your borders as dot plants.
She said they did look quite impressive, and nice blue-green leaves.  :)
Followed by "Are they proper 'eating leeks' and when are they ripe?"  :lolb:  :lolb:
"They're ripe any time you dig 'em up" .....  :headscratch:

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
Those toms look nice. What sort are they?

The sort they sell in Waitrose and I kept some seeds from  ::)

The onions are going down well. I am now having to restrict people on how many they can have  ;)

Ripe leeks  :Lol: that is almost as good as non edible leeks  :lolb:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
Jo and Dave

Try this stuff for a cold cure
Glenfarclas 105.  Be careful it’s full cask strength not cut at the distillery about 70% proof

Needs a little water to enjoy but even then it can stop you talking but by ek it’s smooooth

Alas now I cannot drink alcohol due to my meds. :facepalm:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
Jo and Dave

Try this stuff for a cold cure
Glenfarclas 105.  Be careful it’s full cask strength not cut at the distillery about 70% proof

Aah, but does it work for more serious afflictions like Man-Flu ??

EDIT Ooops .. a cure for cold temperatures ??? Got it wrong ...  AGAIN .....

Dave

:Doh: moment. The last thing I did before I packed in for the day was to do a bit of gloss painting in the garage, on the grounds that it would dry overnight and I wouldn't forget and get it mucked up.  Guess what silly bugger's just been in there and  plonked his paw on it?  )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:48:31 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
Hi all green fingered engineers,

Reading all of your exploits in gardening prompted me to attach the two pics showing my line and only chilli plant which is a "Big Sun Habanero" chilli apparently between 250,000 and 350,000 on the heat scale.

If you like them Jo, I can bring some for you to the Midlands show and they should cure any cold.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »
Hi Mike,
 Cure the a cold, they're probably what's causing global warming!

Nothing to post here from the garden, the most excitement was emptying the compost bins onto the veg patch in readiness for R to start planting in a week or two. Mind you the new strawberry plants keep wanting to flower, they get picked off, soon they will be allowed to go for it.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:50 AM »
If you like them Jo, I can bring some for you to the Midlands show and they should cure any cold.

:naughty: Yes please, I might have to save them for my next volcanic Chilli Con Carne ... that is another good cold cure  :)

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
Linda has just harvested the last of the chilli’s don’t know the scoville rating is but they are small and very hot , just nice for Chinese meals ( note I am the head cook )  :old:

As a side note they do freeze well , to use do not let them thaw but chop up when frozen else they go squishy they may be a little less hot but not that much

I use seeds as well  :mischief:

Hope your trip goes well Jo

Just got in from the vets having had the shingles jab another quid bonus for the vet  :Mad:

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
 :whoohoo: 

Spring is just around the corner ... Must be, my snowdrops are coming up   :headscratch:

Yours poking through yet Jo ???

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
 :o I had a quick check but not so far  :(

There are a few little noses here and there  :) but not snowdrops

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
Alas the vegetable year is coming to the end  :(

My father generously has been helping  :) by digging out the potatoes that I had interspersed with the now dead courgette plants so no more courgettes with every meal  :-\ But it is odd he has dug over a bit 15ft by 6ft and got as many potatoes out of it as I got in an area 6ft by 3ft  :noidea:

Based on the poor potato return where my father has dug out my potatoes it might be safer if I finish digging them out myself  :thinking: Its either he is not picking them all up or  :o he is living up to his other name of the phantom potato thief  :ShakeHead:

The runners are cleared out and the dreaded beetroot eater has eaten all the tops off my beetroot has moved on to trying out the Asparagus: It seems anything green is fair game as this time of the year :rant:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Jo:

The potato yield looks a bit sparse   :thinking: ... how many plants was that ???
I reckon the ancestor is legging it with about 75% of the crop ...  :Lol:
That's about one and a bit potato plants worth ... or just one on a good year ..  :)
They are easy to miss though. When I got mine up I went down the rows a second time and turned up some corkers.
Wondered how I missed them  :headscratch:  I probably still left some in there, they'll appear in spring no doubt.

Dave

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:42:33 PM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
That was two plants. I was quiet pleased with them being that I ignored them and never fed or watered them. I normally aim to get just enough from each plant for one meal, so I can dig them fresh for the pot and those two went well beyond requirements  :)

We have decided that growing potatoes as a filler crop between the courgettes is a good idea and will be doing it in future years. Of course where you have grown potatoes you will always get potatoes  :Lol:

Dad legged it with well over 75% of my potatoes last year :-\

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal