Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100115 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Gardening
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Hun-yuns tidied up a bit ...  :D

65 left after sorting out the doubtfuls and those that some ham-fisted oaf had skewered with the garden fork ....   :embarassed:

Too many for my needs, I wonder where I can dump the rest .... :thinking:    Hmmmmmmm

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
65 left after sorting out the doubtfuls and those that some ham-fisted oaf had skewered with the garden fork ....   :embarassed:

:o That's more than one a week. I don't think you will (safely) get through one of those in a week.

I was planning on spreading the joy of them around :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
It's definitely more than one a week. If it's a warm winter, despite being in frost-free but unheated storage they will start to grow around end of Jan, or early Feb.  :thinking:

And after that unfortunate episode a few years ago with my home-made brown onion soup ... well, I don't want to say too much ..... they are scape-goating folk for Noxious Emissions and I have no wish to be included.    :embarassed:

We shall have to come to some arrangement ...  :D

Greenhouse is about ready to be put to it's proper use, ie. storing junk ...  :ThumbsUp:  While I was at your house yesterday the illustrious Mozz had called and stripped off all the remaining tomatoes. She also left a note to remind her that I'm entitled to pots of chutney if I haven't been supplied by Nov.  She forgot me last year and by some labyrinthine process of female reasoning I forgot to remind her so it was MY fault ... as, indeed, it was of course.   :shrug:

Dave

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:04:32 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
I've just used up the last of your Tomatoes Dave, Thank you  :cheers:

Can't say the same about the onions: we are about half way through the monsters ::)

Sadly the year is turning round  :-\ I may be lucky and get another one or two courgettes to go with the Steaks. The beetroot is still good and we have just started on the fresh sweetcorn  :LickLips:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:47 PM »
Surprised you are eating them in a salad .. They don't ripen very well at all at the end of the season. I usually fry them with onions & sausages.

You need to get a grip of the onion situation ...  :ThumbsUp:

Ready to be loaded in the Fozzy on Sunday ...  ;D

Appears to be 42.3 kg ... total.

Kept about 25, including the ones I stabbed. Those will keep me going until about the end of February ...  :stir:

Still got my leeks ...  :)

Dave

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:27:24 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »
Surprised you are eating them in a salad ..

:facepalm: that's not a salad, that's a Mediterranean dish - Roasted chicken with peppers, lemon, tomatoes, basil and Chilli  :)... and it has only just this min come out of the oven :LickLips:

Leeks  :thinking:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:38:49 PM by Jo »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
Looks yummy too Jo!  So how do you good people on that side of the pond like to use onions? Other than sliced like for burgers or diced and cooked up in a meat sauce?  Are battered and fried onion rings popular at all? How about baked or otherwise cooked whole? Are the ones shown in the pictures considered as white or yellow onions or more of the sweet variety like the Vidalia's over here?

Bill

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »

:facepalm: that's not a salad, that's a Mediterranean dish - Roasted chicken with peppers, lemon, tomatoes, basil and Chilli  :)... and it has only just this min come out of the oven :LickLips:

Leeks  :thinking:

Jo

Oops, sorry ...  :-[

Being a higgernant Northerner I'm not well versed in things Mediterranean ,apart from my long departed Ducati Sebring  :'(   ... Anything red and green is usually a salad.  ( Or a frog that's been run over  ) Such exotic nosh is peripheral to our culture and not readily recognised ...  :thinking:
Now such delights as pork pies, ditto scratchings, black pudding, fried onion rings, tripe, trotters etc. are a different matter ...  ;D

Dave

EDIT That's flamin' cheating ... slipping in a different pic.     :hammerbash:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:51:14 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
Hi Bill,

Onions are an important part of cooked meals like curries (and onion Bhaji's   :P ) , casseroles, stews, mince dishes (Shepherds pie, cottage pie, Chilli con carne), Chinese dishes etc. Raw onions are good in salads and for the all important onion chutney to go with your poppadums' (a necessary indulgence before any curry  :naughty: )

Roasted onions have a bad reputation, same as onion soup  :facepalm2:

EDIT That's flamin' cheating ... slipping in a different pic.     :hammerbash: :P

sorry Dave, I showed the one before I cooked it so that you would recognise your tomatoes  ::)

I have now eaten half of it and have to remember to drink the wine now  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:49:53 PM by Jo »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:52 AM »

:ShakeHead:

Then they haven't been served right.

Onion soup? Or French onion soup? I will eat T's French onion soup any day.

It's sort of the same with Brussels Sprouts. Most people don't seem to like them. And quite often I don't either. But when they are done right... :ThumbsUp: it's worth it.
So I'll eat them every time in hopes it's the one out of ten that's out of this world.

Onions! Yes. Garlic! Yes. I only stink to those who don't like them. And those who don't like them are no friends of mine anyway.  ;D (A small like by the way.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »

:ShakeHead:

Then they haven't been served right.

Onion soup? Or French onion soup? I will eat T's French onion soup any day.

Any chance of her recipe  :naughty: we seem to have buckets of onions to eat  ;)

Brussels sprouts complete with the black peppery bits  :vomit: They are one of those memories from when I was a kid up there with stringy runner beans = won't eat either any more  :hellno:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
Jo, here's one I do often as a side dish... easy, tasty, and no ill side effects :)

Peel one or more sweet onions down to the edible layer and core our a cone about half the depth of the onion. Put about a tablespoon of butter and a bullion cube in the cored out part and place in a small microwave dish with a lid and nuke for 5-6 minutes on high. Add bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese and nuke for another two minutes. The onion will be well cooked but still with some firmness. Cut it into wedges and eat right from the baking dish. The butter, bullion, cheese and juices from the onion make a great dipping sauce for whatever meat you serve it with as well.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the visit Dave  8)

I'm going to have to set to and go on a full time diet of onions  :help:  :lolb:

Bill that sounds tasty  :LickLips: I think first up will be a sausage casserole as my freezer is suffering from too many bargain price nice sausages again  ::)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the visit Dave  8)

I'm going to have to set to and go on a full time diet of onions  :help:  :lolb:

Bill that sounds tasty  :LickLips: I think first up will be a sausage casserole as my freezer is suffering from too many bargain price nice sausages again  ::)

Jo

Thank you for taking a further consignment of junk ...  ;D

Probably as well to go easy on the onion diet.  Climate is unstable enough as it is. Best not to provoke it any further eh.???  :ROFL:

Robby's bike problem turned out to be a stuffed relay. Turned on neutral lamp but no power to ignition module or starter button. Now have to rake about to find suitable automotive relay ... know I have some but where .  :headscratch:    probably quicker to buy one.

Error of judgement going back.  :facepalm2:  Decided to go over the Hogsback ... Gordon Bennett .... What sadistic creature did the M25 from the A3 to the M3 junctions in concrete ... thud, thud thud, thud for miles ....  :insane:  How people commute on that surface day after day I just don't know ... I was half way up the M1 before I'd managed to push my eyeballs back in ...  :paranoia:

Just finished my medicinal Becky, time for a serious bit of kip ....

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
Thank you for taking a further consignment of junk ...  ;D

Probably as well to go easy on the onion diet.  Climate is unstable enough as it is. Best not to provoke it any further eh.???  :ROFL:

No problem Dave, I have no problem passing the stuff off to unsuspecting individuals when they visit ;)

I had a very nice young man visit after you left who I asked if I could use and abuse his body  :mischief:, I am not sure what he thought he was going to get but he found himself on my house roof putting the cowl back on the chimney and cleaning out my gutters for me. I was very kind to him I only gave him three onions to take home to his wife. Hopefully I have not frightened him off and he will be back for some more next weekend  :naughty:.

Lets not talk about concrete motorways  :ShakeHead: Just imagine what it is like for the poor people with a house nearby.

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal