Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100667 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Gardening
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Hi Jo

Onions seem to have perked up  :ThumbsUp:
Just transplanted the last 94 of mine yesterday. Think it's 94.  Got pi55ed off towards the end and stopped counting.
Looking a bit sorry for themselves, but they always do for a week or so. ( Poor buggers. They'll have to learn to take the rough with the dog rough like the rest of us ).
Are those beetroot ? Can't cope with those. Have a venturi effect on my alimentary tract.  :embarassed: Always come out one hell of a lot faster than they went in.   :facepalm:

Tree lupins are now well away after a bit of a check when re-potted.  :ThumbsUp:

Wilfred behaving himself ???

Dave.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
Is/was there a law about cocked guns and 60 yards of a public highway ? so ,one yard per house =60 houses !!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Are those beetroot ? Can't cope with those. Have a venturi effect on my alimentary tract.  :embarassed: Always come out one hell of a lot faster than they went in.   :facepalm:

Which is why beetroot have zero calories in them :ThumbsUp:

Tree lupins are now well away after a bit of a check when re-potted.  :ThumbsUp:

They like to get their roots deep, remember they are a biannual, first year they attract the greenfly, second year lots of flowers and attract greenfly, that autumn burn the remains with the greenfly  :cartwheel:

Wilfred behaving himself ???

Yes he has dropped a couple of leaves but looks ok  :)

Don't worry Willy I have half an Acre so more than enough space to shoot any cocks (Pheasants) or Pigeons. I have noticed that since I put my target out to sight in the gun the vermin have vanished  :-\

Olie and I had a play with the guns just now and the consensus is the Chinese thingy is a pile of  :censored: Then he started coming up with a load of excuses when he tried my gun and was not as close to the centre of the target as I was  ::) He is promising to bring me over a laser sight to try tomorrow - I think he thinks it will help him prove (to himself) he is really a better shot than me 

Jo
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:48:49 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »
A 28ga. stack barrel Browning takes care of the unwanted around my 22 acres

Cletus

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
Some photos of my veg patch garden now that growing at full speed..

It is interesting how different types of tomatoes grow at different rates in the greenhouse. All of them went in on the same day but my Yellow Pears and the mini Plums are getting long and skinny while the Sandwich toms plants are short and plump. The first of the Toms are forming

The two batches of beetroot are also showing vastly different growth rates: The lot that went in first are rather stunted in comparison with the lot (admittedly the larger ones) that were transplanted out of them into the second patch. The Courgettes are off and romping around and have already joined me for dinner  :naughty: Finally after a poor showing the Asparagus is growing - maybe it knows that there is only another week of picking left

Onions  :facepalm: somehow they have got white rot and I have already lost half of them. There will have to be a bit of re-planning where to grow them in the future.

and the Kenyan beans are off to a good start but have had to be protected as the local deer have taken a shine to them  >:(

And now for an engineering challenge for you.. I have been told that in the not too distant future that I will not be allowed to lift a watering can for the rest of the season  :( So as a minimum I need a way of watering my Toms, preferably not using tap water from the hose (Tap water has to be at least 2 days out of the tap to make sure the stuff they add has gone - I won't drink it so why should they  ;) ) They tell me initially I will only be able to lift about a pint to arms length - it will increase over time  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
Assuming you have a water butt why not put a hose on the tap of that and let it trickle onto the ground in the greenhouse, may just need to move it about a bit. You would then only need to turn on a tap. Or small submersible pump in your butt! you must have a spare suds pump kicking about on one of those machines

Did I say the first two toms were picked & eaten at the weekend :)

More of a worry is how will you survive not being able to lift castings and tooling for so long :disappointed:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
The Toms are in grow bags..... not the ground....

Edit: Just found an old micro irrigation system in the stable, the plastic has hardened off a bit  :thinking:

Jo
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:24:11 AM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »
Provided the top of the bags is below the water level in the tank you will still get water to flow, just means the you will have to lift the end of the hose, could fit something to theend so you don't need to bend down.

Only problem with some of the drip type irrigation setups is they don't like dirty water as it soon blocks the drip valves on the end and butt water often has bugs and debris in it

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
Yes it was the rubbish that comes down my water mains that blocked this up last time. I've found a possible header tank which can be used to fill from the hose pipe. I was thinking open little tubes down to the plants rather than the sprinklers  :noidea:

More of a worry is how will you survive not being able to lift castings and tooling for so long :disappointed:

I am trying not to think about that  :paranoia: I am just trying to think that I am going back to University except this time Surus  :pinkelephant: and I are the research subject... I used to like research  :headscratch: 

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
We used to have a system that worked a bit like the Cisterns you find flushing gents urinals. Slow drip/trickle into the tank then there is a pivoting float which is open at the top, as the water level get stowards the top the float fills and sinks which then allows the contents of the tank to flow out through the hollow arm of the tube.

You will have to sort out one of your very small sets of aero engine castings and make that using just the Cowells and Sixis, that would be more exciting that catching up on your backlog of studs.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
We have a header tank, I kept the shut off tap inline and they feed down to open ended pipes going down to each grow bag. Flow rate can be modified by bringing the tops of the drop pipes up and down  :).

The studs are well underway, its 2BA's next all 66 of them  :facepalm:

Jo
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:35:03 PM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
As someone who moans at the size of photos couild you try and post yours the right way up as they are probably harder to look at than big ones :rant:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
This is supposed to be the gardening thread... feel lucky I posted them ::)

Jo

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
They are right side up for me ... or have they been rotated?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
Been rotated now :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal