Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100118 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gardening
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
There will be no gardening for a while here. This is the state of the garden as of 15 minutes ago and it supposed to snow for another few hours yet. (The deck was bone dry and clear yesterday at 4pm.)

We did Zucchini a few years ago and by the end, whenever a neighbor or friend saw me coming, they would run. Mind you, I did find an excellent Zucchini Chutney recipe and made many cases. It is much easier to give away when it is in jars.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
We are a bit better off in St Catharines but I am reconsidering the bbq tonight :-)

Gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
We are a bit better off in St Catharines but I am reconsidering the bbq tonight :-)

Gerrit
Ya, the BBQ ribs are off the menu here as well! I was wondering how you were doing over there Gerrit. You usually get hit worse than us with these storms.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
There will be no gardening for a while here. This is the state of the garden as of 15 minutes ago and it supposed to snow for another few hours yet. (The deck was bone dry and clear yesterday at 4pm.)

We did Zucchini a few years ago and by the end, whenever a neighbor or friend saw me coming, they would run. Mind you, I did find an excellent Zucchini Chutney recipe and made many cases. It is much easier to give away when it is in jars.

Tom

Big weather change here today as well. Really nice yesterday. Got the string up for my newly planted Sugar Snap Peas. Today windy and rainy.......although not too cold.

Our favorite recipe, using Zucchini is for Zucchini Quiche.  :LickLips:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
I'm rather fond of Courgette pizza  :P

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Turned off chilly again here today. We've had record breaking temps accompanied with severe storms and then back to chilly normal spring weather. Still warm enough to cook the ribs today though  :ThumbsUp:

Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »
I'm rather fond of Courgette pizza  :P

:facepalm2:

I like raw zucchini, particularly in a good dip. Cooked zucchini not so much.
T always grows zuccs and somehow manages to be away when they come in.
If I don't get out there every day (sometimes twice), especially when raining...you get some huge logs.

You can always see them grow.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »
Try thinly slicing the zucchini with onions and carrots and then marinating them in apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and fresh cracked peppercorns; great salad topping

Eric

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
Had my first pick of the Asparagus yesterday  :P

Meant to take a picture but by the time I had remembered it was already cooked and eaten, it is another of those veggies that is best eaten less than 5 mins from first picking  :shrug:

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »
Had my first pick of the Asparagus yesterday  :P

Meant to take a picture but by the time I had remembered it was already cooked and eaten, it is another of those veggies that is best eaten less than 5 mins from first picking  :shrug:

Jo

Fresh Asparagus.................yum!  :LickLips: We like it lightly cooked, chilled, and then dipped in ranch dressing.

I've never tried growing it myself, but I remember, as a little tyke, following my Grandpa around (he used to call me his "shadow") and he would get his pocket knife out and cut a handful for dinner.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »
Some white bells under my Maple tree, some grape Hyacinths... Some more Asparagus busy growing to go with my piece of Sirloin on Saturday :P

and a good sign that my resident Fairies 1 survived the winter  :cartwheel:

Jo

P.S. For any townies who don't understand the way of the Fairies  :facepalm: maybe  I should explain....

Every morning the Fairies come out to dance in the garden in the first rays of the new sun this brings the house good luck  :). But at this time of the year there is morning dew and it builds up slowly as they are dancing...making their shoes soaking wet and they know if they go home with wet shoes they will be told off by their parents. So what they do is they take off their shoes and hang them under the leaves of the Dead Nettle to dry so they can collect them later and not get in trouble ;)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »
Ah! Nice ... Used to have a lot of Grape Hyacinths at my first house. Got destroyed by STWA a couple of years after I sold it.  :shrug:

And the Pushkinias that I liked ...  :Mad:

Is that a lonely little Dog Violet trying to eke out an existence bottom of Pic 1??

No fairies though, but then it wasn't a particularly up-market area. 

No Sirloin for me, not keen on bits of dead cow ..  ;) Bacon & Mushrooms favourite at the mo.    :P  ... and sawdust probably ....  :facepalm2:

That's it. Elevenses over, back to the DeWalt Radial Arm Saw and   :censored:  chipboard ... Am I sick of this DIY pantomime  :cussing:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
Yes, Violets are another feature that keep popping up all over the place  :ThumbsUp:

Keep eating the Bacon, its people like you who help to keep my roast pork and with best crackling for Sunday dinner so cheap   :P

Did I mention I have WOOD working machine tools arriving tomorrow  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »

Jo

So Jo...........does this mean we're going to be seeing a "woodworking" thread soon?  :naughty:

Jim

PS: Lovely pictures of your yard.  :)
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

Jo

So Jo...........does this mean we're going to be seeing a "woodworking" thread soon?  :naughty:

Jim

PS: Lovely pictures of your yard.  :)
How long to wait for the trees to grow into the moulds to form the wood castings?!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal