Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100909 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Gardening
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2017, 03:03:22 AM »
Here is some info I sent to another member:

Not too long ago, like 10 years or more, pressure treated wood was bad news. It contained arsenic, chromated copper, and other compounds listed by the EPA as toxic.

For the last approx. 10 years the old treatment, Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) has been banned for treating wood and a new much, much safer material has been used. The new material (Aqueous Copper Quat) is considered quite safe for gardening purposes.

Here are two links:

http://www.finegardening.com/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-garden-beds

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/question-of-the-week/raised-bed-lumber-pressure-treated-safe

While there are extremely low traces of copper that can leach into the soil, the amounts are very small and less than what anyone considers approaching toxic. In fact, the leachates aren't even listed as toxic by the EPA.

Hope this helps,

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:24 AM »
Here is some info I sent to another member:

Not too long ago, like 10 years or more, pressure treated wood was bad news. It contained arsenic, chromated copper, and other compounds listed by the EPA as toxic.

For the last approx. 10 years the old treatment, Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) has been banned for treating wood and a new much, much safer material has been used. The new material (Aqueous Copper Quat) is considered quite safe for gardening purposes.

Here are two links:

http://www.finegardening.com/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-garden-beds

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/question-of-the-week/raised-bed-lumber-pressure-treated-safe

While there are extremely low traces of copper that can leach into the soil, the amounts are very small and less than what anyone considers approaching toxic. In fact, the leachates aren't even listed as toxic by the EPA.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Thanks Pete........that's some good info.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2017, 04:24:15 AM »
Hang Pete,
 You made a drawing for the raised garden.....oh yes wait you had to approval from management before construction could start! Been there!

For my raised garden I use macrocarpa, ( google tells me it common name is Monterey Cypress) 100 x 200 mm came straight from the mill, to the point I had to wait for it to be cut! Mac has natural resins in it that resist rot for quite awhile, 12 mm galv coachbolts down the corners to pull it altogether, cut over laps at the corners. Lined it with plastic as well to hopefully reduce water loss thru the timber
The stand alone ones are are made from left over decking, plastic lines with holes in the bottom, as they are on concrete raised  by the thinkness of the decking
With all the care hopefully  I won't need to waste workshop time, err go back & sort issues

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
Well, Herself like to see the costing on her projects and I don't like to waste material so..... optimum design for both factors!

Raised beds, with a "sitting" edge are sooo much easier on old backs. Just sit there in the sun... pull a few weeds... sip of brew... pull a few weeds... soak up a few rays... scratch the dog behind the ears... sip of brew...  aaaahhhh!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »
gorgeous wheather this afternoon, after a frosty winter.

most of the petals of the magnolia are already on the lawn...
How come spring is so short lasting !
this wheather invites to not stay locked in the workshop, which looks so dark with this beaming sun.
I took this opportunity to get out some engines and clean them !

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
The Primroses are now taking over. I have never known Primroses self seed like they do in this garden: Everywhere you look more and more primroses....

All seedlings are growing ;D The first batch of pea seedling went out yesterday and the Triffids have had to be moved out as they were taking over the conservatory  ::)

Hopefully put some more seeds in in the week  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
Never grown courgettes ...  :headscratch:

So what happens? Do they grow like tomatoes as a vine or all over the shop like cucumbers / marrows ?

Once grew some peppers, inedible .... you could nearly weld with the things. I couldn't eat 'em but my then neighbour said they were the best he'd ever had.  :insane:

Primroses are nice ...  :-*  I can't get rid of those damn Iberian so-called bluebells ...  :cussing:  miserable pale blue things with virtually no scent ...

Seem to thrive on Round-up, I'd treat 'em to a dose of Chlorate but they are near a shrub ...  :(

Happy growing

Dave

PS Saw a Dommie 99 at Matlock today. Not yours escaped I trust   :)  Nah ....  it was ???MRB so an old Derby regn. ( And an old Indian last week, can't remember the last time I saw one in UK... )

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:55:38 PM by Bluechip »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
Yesterday I have got the Oleander back from the winter storage.
It was time to spent him a new flowerpot.

It toke me nearly 45 minutes to get it solved in the old pot.
A saw blade, some leather gloves and some more patience was necessary to get it out.
Now it is in its new home and my back will remind me for the next couple of days at this action.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »

So what happens? Do they grow like tomatoes as a vine or all over the shop like cucumbers / marrows ?

Courgettes are a type of small marrow  ;) How much they grow depends on how much you water them. This year I have 18 large plants with another 7 in back up - in case the first lot gets hit by a late frost  ;).

Trick I learnt last year was to interplant potatoes with the Courgette plants. The courgettes romp all over the place but the potatoes grow well in between. The crop would have been excellent except that my father discovered them and was digging up two plants every time he visited  :slap: He used them all up before the end of the season  :'(

Same here: the first of the blue and white bells are appearing  :)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Make sure they're the real bluebells.  Mine are these things:  EU crap ... mutter   mutter  mutter ...

http://www.essexbiodiversity.org.uk/invasive-species/invasive-species-plants

Otherwise ...   :Director:  EXTERMINATE

I though I'd got rid of them a couple of years ago but any tiny bulb left in and they return with a vengeance.

I think I might give them a touch of the Sievert torch ... bet they'd appreciate a warm Spring....  ;D

Ah well, back to wood-butchering ...  :(

PS Got a heap of off-cuts, any good 2U ?? Contemplating a trip to Yately with Jill last Sunday this month ..

Dave.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Got a heap of off-cuts, any good 2U ?? Contemplating a trip to Yately with Jill last Sunday this month ..

Always happy to give a home to fire wood and might be able to find a few spare Primroses....  :)

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »

Courgettes are a type of small marrow  ;) How much they grow depends on how much you water them. This year I have 18 large plants with another 7 in back up - in case the first lot gets hit by a late frost  ;).

Trick I learnt last year was to interplant potatoes with the Courgette plants. The courgettes romp all over the place but the potatoes grow well in between. The crop would have been excellent except that my father discovered them and was digging up two plants every time he visited  :slap: He used them all up before the end of the season  :'(

Same here: the first of the blue and white bells are appearing  :)

Jo

It looks like Courgettes are what we call Zucchini over here. It seems like I can feed the whole neighborhood off of one plant.............can't imagine how much you get off of 18!  :shrug: I'm not sure why your father was digging the plants up, unless Courgette plants aren't what I think they are?  :headscratch:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »

It looks like Courgettes are what we call Zucchini over here. It seems like I can feed the whole neighborhood off of one plant.............can't imagine how much you get off of 18!  :shrug: I'm not sure why your father was digging the plants up, unless Courgette plants aren't what I think they are?  :headscratch:

Jim

Yes, Zucchini is a courgette.  If we get plenty of rain then each plant will provide one courgette every other day (or a marrow the next  :facepalm: ). They are best if picked small and not over watered hence I grow lots so that I can have the best little ones :P

My Dad was stealing the potatoes I had planted in between the courgette plants  :disappointed:

Jo

P.S. In Italian Zucchina is a marrow, so a 'little' marrow is a Zucchini.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:03 AM »

My Dad was stealing the potatoes I had planted in between the courgette plants  :disappointed:

Jo

I just re-read your earlier post. I SHOULD OF been able to figure out that this is what you were talking about!  :Doh:

Got my sugar snap peas planted today.

Jim

PS: I showed my P & W build status to a friend today.............does that count as machining? Naw..............probably not!  :shrug:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »
Bit nippy here ... down to 2.2oC in the greenhouse overnight.

Good job I brought my tomato seedlings inside  :ThumbsUp:

Got one plot done yesterday, all cultivated and 3 rows of Rooster tatties planted in just over an hour. ( About 35 sq. yds. )

Thanks largely to my heroic Mantis cultivator ...  job done in 1% of the time and 0.01% of the pain of manual digging.   :whoohoo:

Only a little Honda 22cc OHC engine, certainly has a lot more go than me ...  :old:

Wonder if it should have a name ?????  We have Mr. Sexy, Mr. Silky etc. etc.   :headscratch:

Maybe Mr. Slicy  ... Sure the worms would approve .....  or possibly not ..  :ShakeHead:

Dave

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:14:07 AM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal