Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100087 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Gardening
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
As far as ground hogs...you need one of these bad boys....

http://www.goodnature.co.nz/

I have a friend using one right now to rid his property of rats, but they have them for stoat's and Possum as well.

Very Humane....instant.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »
Lovely garden Jason.
I wish you enjoyed it more.  ;D Given the amount of time you spend in the shop...I don't see how you can.  :Lol:

Weather is a bit more unpredictable here. Calling for 18 to 24 as well but I doubt it. Winds in the upper 40's.
Should start in a couple three hours.

Either way...I'm home tomorrow.
And the house has given me the excuse to be out Wednesday.
Can't really clear the driveway. Got no walkway.

Okay. It's an age thing. I will go out, clear a foot or two, then go in for a toddy. Repeat until done. I might get a week out of this.

Oh...and as to the suggestion of my first project.  :lolb: ah  :lolb: ah  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
Hi Dave,
 The Greenies prefer those to the 1080 poison drop!
This side of the Tasman sea possums are a PEST,  a friend reckons a shotgun is best, instant fertilizer!
Mean time our Aussie friend have them protected!

Love the Darby, the guy use to advertise on the Model Engineer site for the casting for it & other desirable items!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »
Yeah I'd prefer some number 8 bird.... but the neighbors and local constabulary get kinda cranky with that option.... 8)

I DON"T like poison as there are too many kids around, and other critters I'm not interested in removing...so the Good Nature is on the list for the chipmunks....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 11:26:18 PM »
I'm going to have my own set of problems....needless to say groundhogs won't be one of them!

See the 18-24" just above Worcester?     That's my house right under the "2"    ....... >:( :zap: :toilet_claw:

Come on!     Spring is a week away!      The good thing is ....this won't last long...but they are expecting 50 mph winds tomorrow and blizzard conditions

We'll see if Samantha bell will run on the Generator!

Dave

My house is in the upper right hand corner of this picture. Two weeks ago in the 70's and now this.
The way the weather has been going it will probably be 70 in a week.

John

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:30 AM »
It will be awhile yet here before gardening time. I usually start pepper and tomato plants in the sun room 2nd week in April. Here is a pick of last fall Susan (my wife) helping pick some goodies out of the garden to get ready for canning.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 01:34:03 AM »
Garden fresh. Always the best.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 02:32:58 AM »
It will be awhile yet here before gardening time. I usually start pepper and tomato plants in the sun room 2nd week in April. Here is a pick of last fall Susan (my wife) helping pick some goodies out of the garden to get ready for canning.

Great picture Doc...........nice bountiful harvest and a lovely wife. Others have posted some nice pictures as well. I'm pretty amazed how much the machining folks are into gardening and cooking!  :LickLips: There's some kind of common denominator there...........just haven't figured out what it is!  :shrug:

Even if they don't get posted right now, I hope folks will take some pictures of their garden, so we can have some "before and after" pictures later. I intend to take some more the next nice day we have. It'll be fun to see the contrast later in the summer. Of course our friends from down under could do the "after" pictures right now.  :naughty:

I hunted around and came up with a picture of last years canteloupe harvest. In my usual 20/20 hindsight..........I wish I had taken some of other produce.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 04:01:01 AM »
The only 'garden' pic I could find was this one from last fall. The very last of the apples..the ones that we had to strip, or lose, before the first freeze. All nicely installed in the freezer ready for pies and such. We usually don't sort this last pick so there is a mix of Gravenstein and a few 'unknown' varieties grafted from old homestead trees around here that are so good I just had to take scion wood from them.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Hosed.....
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 03:09:57 PM »
Dave that sounds like global warming to me  :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
Our garden does not lend itself to food production, mainly due to walls limiting sunshine. We do have a few daffs, crocusses etc. plus this rather nice Camelia growing outside my workshop. I'm impressed by all the green fingers within this forum.
I hope our friends in the "nasty" weather area at present are not too badly affected.

Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
I left the 2nd. Burrell crankshaft on the windowsill  for the casting fondlers in our midst :naughty:        Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »
I left the 2nd. Burrell crankshaft on the windowsill  for the casting fondlers in our midst :naughty:        Terry

:naughty:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »
Our garden does not lend itself to food production, mainly due to walls limiting sunshine. We do have a few daffs, crocusses etc. plus this rather nice Camelia growing outside my workshop. I'm impressed by all the green fingers within this forum.
I hope our friends in the "nasty" weather area at present are not too badly affected.

Terry

We're used to it Terry.   I was more concerned about the wind and the heavy snow taking down power lines leaving us in the dark and cold  ( -5C )  but to our luck, it blew to beat the band, and nothing happened.   The rest is now just annoying....    Nice looking shop!    I love all the greenery .....it warms up the place.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal