Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100905 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Gardening
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
Wasn't allowed to post these until after I had mowed the lawn. For those of you under snow, no apologies for the blue sky!
Pic 1 the back yard,
Pic 2 behind the wall above, the veg patch, the summer crops coming to an end & first planting of the winter veg.

Nice to see so many here into growing your own.....as has been said what is it with machining & growing stuff

Cheers Kerrin
Looks great! And not just because it looks warm!

I vote we go visit you while waiting for Zee to get our new rooms ready....  :Lol:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
I'll second the motion!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 12:30:24 AM »
Very nice Kerrin!

My place looks pretty ratty after the long winter; maybe when things start looking better I will post a pic or two, I don't grow food though.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 02:45:32 AM »
Wasn't allowed to post these until after I had mowed the lawn. For those of you under snow, no apologies for the blue sky!
Pic 1 the back yard,
Pic 2 behind the wall above, the veg patch, the summer crops coming to an end & first planting of the winter veg.

Nice to see so many here into growing your own.....as has been said what is it with machining & growing stuff

Cheers Kerrin

Beautiful garden Kerrin..........on both sides of the fence!

What kind of winter vegetables can you grow down there?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 02:52:43 AM »
Only if you want inferior peaches there Cletus  :lolb: Nothin like good ol' SC or Georgia peaches :)

Bill

Uh-oh Bill..........we're in for it now. Our friends from across the pond, just like "metric" fasteners vs "inferior" fasteners will be extolling the benefits of "metric" peaches vs "inferior" peaches!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 03:02:23 AM »
 :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

I like free stone peaches, warm from the sun....

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »
Hi Guys,
 R would like to thank you all for your kind comments on her garden, I'm just the lackey  that gets to build the raised garden, planter boxes & fill same with the required earth & compost, & fences. Oh and help with any spraying, digging....or anything that requires boys toys!

Jim,
 As to what to plant in winter, we think it's cold her if we get down to +5 C! We only live about 500 meters from the coast & have only had a couple of frost days in the last 8 years! Ok so plants are cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, broad beans, parsnips, celeriac, that's about all we do but it should be possible to do other winter veg as well.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
 R would like to thank you all for your kind comments on her garden, I'm just the lackey  that gets to build the raised garden, planter boxes & fill same with the required earth & compost, & fences. Oh and help with any spraying, digging....or anything that requires boys toys!

Jim,
 As to what to plant in winter, we think it's cold her if we get down to +5 C! We only live about 500 meters from the coast & have only had a couple of frost days in the last 8 years! Ok so plants are cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, broad beans, parsnips, celeriac, that's about all we do but it should be possible to do other winter veg as well.

Cheers Kerrin

It looks like your winter vegetables are our summer vegetables Kerrin.  :shrug: It would be nice to be able to grow vegetables year around.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline joinercp

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 02:09:49 AM »
Not much happening in mine yet, few Daffs and quiet a lot of Helibores. Another few weeks before the Maples and Bonsai look their best.

Did you create that backyard? That is beautiful and what I'd like to implement on my property.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Kim's just reminded me that I have not posted any gardening pictures for a few days  :naughty:

The triffids (courgettes) are growing in the Conservatory. Another month and they will have taken over and be ready to go out.

As Asparagus is supposed to be an aphrodisiac I decided I might need to grow some again, just in case :mischief:

And of course the rest of the greenhouse is growing well.... and  :o someone has Pea'd in the far corner   ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
Kim's just reminded me that I have not posted any gardening pictures for a few days  :naughty:

The triffids (courgettes) are growing in the Conservatory. Another month and they will have taken over and be ready to go out.

As Asparagus is supposed to be an aphrodisiac I decided I might need to grow some again, just in case :mischief:

And of course the rest of the greenhouse is growing well.... and  :o someone has Pea'd in the far corner   ::)

Jo

Well...........you certainly have been the busy one haven't you!  :ThumbsUp:

Still rainy and dreary here............although I guess I could start some plants. Too lazy I guess.

Jim

PS: Have I mentioned that I love Asparagus?  :Love:  :LittleDevil:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Gardening hasn't started here either.

House reno, new fence to be installed, and weather are delaying us (I mean T).

Since all the landscaping is going to be redone and one side (near the garden) is being moved out 3' feet, T has bought several raised beds to redo the garden.
I'm going to like that primarily because it makes mowing easier. I won't get the "what'd you cut down now" question.

I do think a conservatory / green house would be nice.  :thinking: Maybe next year.

She does have seedlings going in the house.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
For those in my age bracket, the first rule of gardening is:

THE NUMBER OF "GET-UPs" MUST EQUAL THE NUMBER OF "GET-DOWNs".

I thought I had violated this rule yesterday while building a new retaining wall.Wall will be finished today.

Days in upper 70's to low 80's for last couple of weeks. Cooled down to upper 60's now.  Lots of green. Of course no moisture for last 2 months, but that is typical in the high desert of New Mexico.  I have faith.  It will rain again sometime.
Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2017, 03:11:01 AM »
Gardening hasn't started here either.

House reno, new fence to be installed, and weather are delaying us (I mean T).

Since all the landscaping is going to be redone and one side (near the garden) is being moved out 3' feet, T has bought several raised beds to redo the garden.
I'm going to like that primarily because it makes mowing easier. I won't get the "what'd you cut down now" question.

I do think a conservatory / green house would be nice.  :thinking: Maybe next year.

She does have seedlings going in the house.  :ThumbsUp:

Zee.........I'm looking forward to seeing how the raised beds work out. I've been giving them some thought myself. I've got a book called "Square Foot Gardening": https://www.amazon.com/All-Square-Foot-Gardening-Revolutionary/dp/1591865484/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490580549&sr=1-1&keywords=square+foot+gardening that makes me want to have a go at the concept.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:57 AM »
I've built four raised beds around here and we just love them. I don't have pics tonight but if there is interest I will get some tomorrow. I built them from pressure treat 2x and sized them so there was no waste of materials. I've got a sketch somewhere....

Wife love 'em 'cause the beds are just the right height for sitting.. :whoohoo:

Pete
Retired, finally!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal