Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100500 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Gardening
« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »
Thanks Dave,

By special request a pic of how it is now looking. I now need the next delivery of rings so it must be time for a relax and some :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #406 on: October 23, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »
Yesterday morning saw the last of the branches come off. Leaving a Tall stump, which fell over this morning  :shrug:  I had been told that the stump weighed about 3 tons  :noidea: In the end the little lifter (weight lift limit = 3 1/2 tons) needed it cut into three bits to get rid of it. Leaving a stump for grinding next week.

In the meantime I have finished splitting the rings with an axe/log splitter. The Log splitter is now sporting a new set of pneumatic rear tyres and has had its electrics upgraded as the cable where it came out of the gland already had a bend in it so was looking like it was suffering from stress :disappointed: It now has a nice new cable grommet fitted  :ThumbsUp:

That bit of gardening done it must be workshop time  :whoohoo: I think someone mentioned there being a new set of Robinson castings to look at :)

Jo

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #407 on: October 23, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
Wow! That was quite a tree, Jo.  No wonder it has kept you busy for a few days!
You ought to have fire wood for a few weeks now :)
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:11 AM »
Yes............you're definitely going to be fondling castings in comfort this winter! Well.......as long as you have plenty of  :wine1: to go with all that firewood.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #409 on: October 24, 2018, 03:15:11 AM »
That tree was big enough to hollow out and make a shop inside!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #410 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
Looks like the Hampshire chainsaw massacre is going to keep you warm for a day or six!

Can I make one suggestion, I happened to work with a guy who had in a previous job done research into the best way to stack, store & dry firewood, go figure that! ( Note that dry in this sense is to remove the internal moisture, NOT to get the water off the outside) so the best way they found was in a stack no more than 6 feet wide by 6 feet high, as long as you like but NO cover on it, this allows wind etc to pass thru & remove the moisture in the stack.
A previous neighbor wrapped her wood pile to keep the rain off, when unwrapped it had some interesting looking fungus growing on it!

Enjoy your workshop time, well deserved.......... besides we are all suffering update deprivation!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #411 on: October 24, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
Thanks Guys, I am pleased that is over and I can get back in the workshop. It will take at least a year for that stuff to dry out in the meantime I already have about 3 years worth of logs already stock piled  :)

Hi Kerrin you are right - I had put a water proof cover on it the night before last and when I folded it back to add the next lot of logs there was more condensation under the cover than on top of it so I have left it open for now.  I might find some more old fence panels and make a breathable roof for it  ;)

Sorry but there will be no playing in the workshop this morning Minx is taking me out we are going to my Tai Chi class. Hopefully I can get back in there this afternoon as long as I don't find any more logs lying around :thinking:

Jo

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #412 on: October 24, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »
Ah, poor thing   :( All that effort growing for donkeys years all gone ....  :'(

How did the geezer get up the last branch? Pole climbing irons ?  Looks a bit precarious.

Sooner him than me although I quite liked it the few times i did it at work all those decades ago when I was young and frisky ...  :Lol:

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #413 on: October 24, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
From a guy who's cured a lot of fire wood in a wet environment: put a water tight roof over the wood but keep the sides open enough to breathe. Here in the PNW (Pacific North West) our wood sheds have slatted walls....

And stack the wood sorta loose...

Poor tree...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #414 on: October 24, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
My log stores are all well ventilated Pete, this is a temporary storage until it can move into the main store in the spring

Poor tree...

It was over the top of the house, one lightening strike and the house would have been flattened :paranoia: It nearly flattened a BMW a couple of years ago  :naughty: This last year it has tried dropping branches on a few dog walkers  :ShakeHead: If it had been looked after over the years it probably could have stayed but it was left to go too long in the bough  :disappointed:

We reckon that one was over 200 years old and the boys were off to do another tree over twice the diameter next so that probably is nearer 500 years  ::)

Jo

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #415 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
"...too long in the bough"    :o

That sounds like me some days!

:lolb:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
And what about removing the stump ? something planed ?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2018, 05:37:53 PM »
Next week the is going to be ground out  :ThumbsUp:

I have been told the grinder makes an extremely loud noise and throws stuff over 25m  :paranoia: I may not be photographing it in use  :hellno:

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
just got some giant Maize seeds from an African allotmenteer so will see what happens next year... a pic of last years plants , about 12 feet high !!! Also what is it about the number 18 when you use it to divide numbers ?? My next engine is 1/18th scale and when i started to calculate the scale numbers i kept getting these recurring numbers ??!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #419 on: October 27, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »
Ahh, the magic of the number nine!

If you want to impress kids with your magic skills try this 'trick' based on the arithmetic of the number nine.

Secret set-up.
On the reverse of a pad of paper write " 1089   -   You are so predictable!"

Now get the kid to think of three numbers between 1 and 9. 

Write them down highest to lowest to form a number, let's call them   a b c
Subtract from this the number formed by writing the three chosen numbers lowest to highest  c b a

abc - cba = efg

reverse the order of this result and add it to efg

efg + gfe = 1089   always, regardless of which three numbers were chosen.

Which I think is a surprising result and looks like magic when you turn the pad of paper over.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal