Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 100097 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Gardening
« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
That's a new one for me Dave but have grown Super Marmande before.

Only grow them under glass and usually just two each of changing varieties year on year. A small greenhouse, this year its Roma, Brandywine, Pomodoro, San Marzano and Indigo Rose. No green ones this year - have you grown Green Zebra - lovely taste to that one ;)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
Jo, you were lucky with the horsefly bite that it did so relatively little damage. 

One bite me on the ankle, gave me blood poisoning, 2days later ended up in hossie for over 10days whilst the docs struggled to stop the spread of the poison, on double the max dose of whatever they were giving me at 4 times the maximum frequency before the treatment started taking effect, if the hadn't managed to stop it (the poison) spreading they were going to chop off my leg to save it from killing me, really thrilled by that that news, luckily they headed it off by the time it had reached much above my knee but my leg looked like it had plum jam spread all over it 1/4 inch deep by that time, had wound dressings on my leg for weeks.  Never even saw the little b*****d, but she was certainly evil. 

So watch out for horseflies y'all!  They ARE nasty creatures.
Chris
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:12:25 PM by Laurentic »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2018, 05:36:47 AM »
:o That is even worse than the one that got me on the back of the knee last Saturday: I made the mistake of trying to stand up in the workshop Sunday morning and ended up spending the afternoon laid up with cooling pads on it for two days  :ShakeHead: I can still feel the bruising from all of the swelling so I am avoiding going out in the garden now except first thing in the morning :(

Dave I have one Tomato ripening on the vine  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
:o That is even worse than the one that got me on the back of the knee last Saturday: I made the mistake of trying to stand up in the workshop Sunday morning and ended up spending the afternoon laid up with cooling pads on it for two days  :ShakeHead: I can still feel the bruising from all of the swelling so I am avoiding going out in the garden now except first thing in the morning :(

Dave I have one Tomato ripening on the vine  :)

Jo

Cute little thing. Is it on one of the plants I gave you or some other variety?

Hotter than ever today.  :(

Garage was up to 32oC just after 9:15 AM

Dunno what it is in there now. It can amuse itself without me.  :D

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
Having problems with your tomatoes ......it could be Bushy Stunt !!!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #365 on: July 08, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »
They have all got it in for my veggie patch this year :rant: Yesterday morning just before 5am I trotted down to the patch to do a bit of watering only to see a Blackbird imitating a humming bird flying in my greenhouse  :o I told it to "come on get out of there" and it clearly heard me and realised which direction the door was in and headed out. Only after watering the outside did I head in to find the little  :censored: had been pecking at number two tomato  :Mad:

Both are now in for consumption  :)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2018, 07:26:09 AM »
Hi Jo

Strewth. Had a good go at that!

I wonder if it is the water content they're after?

Revenge for filling the pond in.   :)

Offer to take them to the pub.  :noidea:

Dave

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
Slightly off topic but perhaps not so far off when you mention water content :noidea: I was fishing Friday and watched wood pigeons actually land in the middle of lake, have a drink and then manage to fly off again. First time I have seen this in ?? years. :old:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #368 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »
I am blaming the lack of water content on my onions  :(

All the red ones from onion sets have gone over and are now in for drying. The first bed from onion sets (those that survived the white rot attack  :cussing: ) have nearly had it but for some strange reason most of the ones I grew myself from seed are going great guns  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #369 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
Yeah. Far too dry  :'(   

Reds don't look too bad considering the the lack of Sky Lube ....

Mine are still going.  :ThumbsUp:  Still a few weeks to go. I hope with some rain ...

Toms are getting to the stage where they overrun my ability to scoff the things ...  :help: and Moggs the Merciless has decamped so can't dump them on her ... :headscratch:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:27 PM »
Following on from the threat of someone offering me more firewood I felt the need to make yet another log store  :embarassed: All made from scrap-bin-ium so zero cost  :ThumbsUp:

Like so much of the UK the weather has now been bone dry for over 2 months  :rant: The beetroot is having to be watered every day and is cropping well even if I keep finding the beetroot eater giving them a long hard sniff most mornings  :ShakeHead: Onion bed trenching is well underway but I don't have a lot of spare green stuff to dig in  :(

Unlike Dave my Toms are just picking up their ripening rate. They do smell & taste so much nicer that those hard red things they sell in the shops  :)

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #371 on: July 24, 2018, 01:31:57 AM »
Hi Jo, Scrapbinium  did i here that on the Tom Lehrer song !!!  funny things happening with the gooseberry  ...On my red bush there are about 12 green gooseberrys on one of the branches ?? These are fully formed and very sweet ...nobody can give a proper explanation ?!!  still no rain ...about 7 weeks now...there was supposed to be some but it evaporated before it reached the ground !!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
First Cherry crop
« Reply #372 on: July 28, 2018, 06:32:36 AM »
After trying a few methods that didn't work, this year we 'tented' the little cherry tree to keep out the birds and deer. Finally we were able to harvest some cherries!  :whoohoo:

Not many but it's still a 7' tree. Wonderful, sweet, juicy.... ummmmm.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #373 on: July 28, 2018, 06:35:07 AM »
Hi Pete,
 YUM!
Always look forward to cherry season! For us that’s around Christmas, so as you would expect price climbs a bit.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #374 on: July 28, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Over the years I had 3 cherry trees and less than 3 cherries from the lot  :ShakeHead: As you know the birds sit there watching the green cherries change the slightest shade from green to yellow and they steal them :facepalm:

I had my first Fig from my tree yesterday  :cartwheel: Looks like a good year for Figs.

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal