Author Topic: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"  (Read 75826 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"
« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »
Apologies Bob...I gotta sneak this one in...

Where do y'all find those big M&Ms  :shrug:

Even better are Minstrels! Essentially a giant M&M. Made by the same company. But creamier and sweeter.
I used to work for Mars. It used to be that some candies, sold in Europe, were not available here.
Now, with the internet etc., you can get almost anything.

Part of the reason for not offering certain candies in a market was the difference in preferences.
Europeans tended to go for creamy sweet while Americans tended towards a slightly more bitter taste.
Think of the difference between Godiva and Hershey.

Then again, sometimes they sold the same (or nearly the same) candy under a different name.

When I moved back to the states I was devastated I couldn't find a Mars bar. It was years before I found out a Milky Way was essentially the same thing.

Now here is where some of you start pointing out I'm wrong. Your idea of a Mars bar or Milky Way may differ.
Don't care. I'll stick with my memory.  ;D
Are these the ones you mean?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #286 on: August 03, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
Yes. Maybe. I recall the ones I get in the UK are in a black package. But they could have changed it. Or you got an American version.
Sometimes the same product is simply packaged differently for different markets.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
Connecting Rod Complete:

I stole some shop time and finished up the connecting rod.  The bushing for the small end was a straight forward turning job.  The 1-72 bolts were done with my usual method as shown elsewhere in this thread. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
Bob that looks great and happy you found some shop time. I know you are working from Putputman's plan and I am not looking at them at the moment...just wondering if the square part of the connecting rod between the big and small ends will clear the rear opening of the cylinder. In the hybrid design including George's modifications, the clearance there isn't very much!

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Wow Bill! 

Did you hear the air leave my lungs down there in in N.C.?  I was sitting in the car waiting for my son at Cross Country practice when I read your reply.  What really scared me is the fact that my crank is located .100 closer to the cylinder then what the print calls for due to a foul-up.  As soon as I got home I assembled everything.  Thank goodness, it is all seems good!

Air has re-entered my lungs and my heart has begun pumping again.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
Sorry Bob, wasn't trying to give you heart-failure I promise. Just thought it might be something you wanted to check , but very happy it isn't an issue for you.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2017, 09:38:42 PM »
Absolutely no problem Bill.  It would have been better to findout now rather than later.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2017, 02:48:12 AM »
Cylinder-

I turned the cylinder awhile back.  I used a shop made expanding mandrel to make sure that the ods were concentric to the id.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

I have elected to use a lapped cylinder and piston; therefore, I need a lap.  So, another first, making a lap.  I have a bunch of tapered brass pins and matching reamer and figured that they would be a good starting point.

A piece of .500 aluminum was bored and reamed.  While it was still in the collet a tapered pin was inserted and a .250 diameter was turned to allow the tapered pin to be placed in a collet and act as the mandrel for the lap.

The .500 was rough turned to .380.  The x axis of the Spin Indexer was then offset for the taper and five slots were cut .030 deep with a .025 slitting saw.  The sixth slot was cut through to allow the lap to expand.

This is where I am at tonight.  Hopefully, somewhere in the next few days I can finish the lap and give it a try.  I have to give Ramon credit for the inspiration for the lap. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »
Cylinder complete:

I finished the lap and gave it a try with 320 grit.  It certainly achieved a nice finish.  I'm actually worried about the finish being too good.  It might be too fine for oil retention.  At this point I don't know how the geometry of the cylinder is.  I assume that it is round and cylindrical based on how even the finish appears.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
That looks very smooth Bob. I hope it works out for you. I ended up going with an o-ring as you know. I did try a lapped finish, but my skills ( or patience) weren't up to the task apparently.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2017, 02:08:45 AM »
Looks nice Bob!

Dave

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:36 PM »
Thanks Bill.  I don't know if I have lapping skills either.

Thanks Dave and thanks for tuning in.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
Cylinder-

I turned the cylinder awhile back.  I used a shop made expanding mandrel to make sure that the ods were concentric to the id.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

I have elected to use a lapped cylinder and piston; therefore, I need a lap.  So, another first, making a lap.  I have a bunch of tapered brass pins and matching reamer and figured that they would be a good starting point.

A piece of .500 aluminum was bored and reamed.  While it was still in the collet a tapered pin was inserted and a .250 diameter was turned to allow the tapered pin to be placed in a collet and act as the mandrel for the lap.

The .500 was rough turned to .380.  The x axis of the Spin Indexer was then offset for the taper and five slots were cut .030 deep with a .025 slitting saw.  The sixth slot was cut through to allow the lap to expand.

This is where I am at tonight.  Hopefully, somewhere in the next few days I can finish the lap and give it a try.  I have to give Ramon credit for the inspiration for the lap. 

-Bob

Looking good Bob, there was a great lapping article by Ramon a good ways back...dig it up, it's not that hard to do well.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I had looked at Ramon's article prior to making the lap.   I drew from his article and Don Baily's (Suburban Tool) video for guidance.

-Bob.
Proud Member of MEM

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #299 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:49 AM »
Quick update:

For those who don't know, for several years I have worked summers at a water park in the maintenance department.  Our season ended September 4th and I was planning on making a bunch of progress with "Tiny".  Well, life throws changes at you all the time.  A maintenance position opened up in my community and I started September 5th.  So after 13 and half years of being a stay at home dad, I have rejoined the workforce.  This job allows me to get the kids on the bus in the morning and afternoon.  This aspect was a major stumbling block for my my return to work. Couple that with snow related closures and delays, etc. and it was impossible for me to return to work.  All of that is covered with this job because I am in my community during my shift.  The only bummer is, if there is any snow for Cabin Fever I can't make it because I have to plow roads.

So, my progress for this engine will remain at a slow pace.  I did start the piston yesterday.  I managed to get the od turned before I had to stop for family matters.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal