Author Topic: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"  (Read 76014 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
That is looking good Bob!  Did you use the Corian for the insulator? I played with the Teflon a bit last night and it turns fine but is rather soft when trying to turn that .075" diameter section that fits into the bottom of the metal part. With that done I am hoping the rest of it will go quicker. Should have some results tonight.  You tubing is in the mail BTW.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »
Bill-

Yes I used the Corian.  It was a "breeze" to turn.  The only problem that I had with it was drilling the .032 hole for the electrode.  I drilled a .025 pilot and follwed up with a .031 bit figuring it might drill oversize.  I figured that the .031 drill would fly down the pilot hole.  It didn't.  The Corian was producing a powder instead of chips and the drill was making that erie sound that a dry tap makes right before it binds.  So, I did a lot of backing out and clearing the flutes of the powder.

These are the only pictures I took of the spark plug machining. 

Once again thanks for the tubing.  I will gladly send you one of the Corian squares.  If you'd like, I'll saw it into sticks.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
Hi Bob,
I have found that chase drilling, as I call it, following one drill with another only seems to work with larger drills say starting about .050. Here again it depends on how much you leave to chase. Now when drilling Corian it's another story. The tiny drills, below #60, just don't seem to have the relief that normal jobbers drills do. I have Huot drills so I know they're good drills but the same thing happens to me if I chase drill with them in Corian. They'll get hot and bind up so I just drill them to size with one drilling. Even if the hole is a bit too large I solve that by adding a drop of Loctite (263) to the electrode when assembling. Another 'trick' that I use when drilling the Corian is to leave my tailstock unclamped and slide it back and forth when drilling. I find I have a better feel for what the drill is doing. I peck just the tiniest amount at a time. If you try to take too much the Corian will get hot and melt into the flutes of the drill and you will have to pick it out with a sharp object, Exacto knife etc. Another way to prevent the Corian from sticking to the drill is to put a drop of spit on it while drilling. This will lubricate the flutes enough to help prevent the buildup. Don't use any type of cutting fluid otherwise it will contaminate the Corian and the Loctite won't work.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
I've found that when drill/reaming/sawing acrylic based materials like Corian that water with a few drops of liquid soap works really well for a lube and coolant. And it just rinses out with......water!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2017, 12:28:53 AM »
Thanks George.  I always peck small holes as well as periodically back the drill all of the way out to clean the chips from the flutes.  I've found that soft artist's paint brushes work very well to clean the flutes.  I found that when the flutes pack is when the drill binds and breaks.  Spit is a great natural lubricant.

Thanks Pete.  I had thought of using water; but was enough into it, that I didn't want to "change horses midstream".  Of course it was the last operation when all of this occurred. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »

Thanks Pete.  I had thought of using water; but was enough into it, that I didn't want to "change horses midstream".  Of course it was the last operation when all of this occurred. 

-Bob

I always seem to figure out something on the very last part.... :facepalm:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Neat looking sparkplug.

It's interesting following along both your and Bill's threads on this.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
Thank you very much Carl.

Spark Plug:

The top of the Spark Plug is finished.  For now I am going to leave the combustion chamber end "as is" until I cobble up something to test the plug.

-Bob

Proud Member of MEM

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
That looks great Bob. There is quite a difference between the two plugs though from Arv's for George's designs. I will get mine finished up over the weekend and hopefully get the head far enough along to install it and then plan to test it with the CDI system on the little Briggs to see if it works perhaps Monday.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Yes there is quite a difference between the designs.  Then there is mine... a hybrid, bling thing.  I plan on eventually making another one, but not as blingy.  The bling serves a purpose.

There is a swap meet tomorrow and I'm going to bring the head and "Ultra Tiny" with me.  Showing them, helps with price negotiations. 

-Bob

Proud Member of MEM

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
That looks great Bob!

As I said on Bills thread, I'm learning a lot from reading your guys build threads, and its making me want to do an IC engine now!

Kim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2017, 12:04:01 AM »
Thanks Kim!  I am glad to hear that you have gained something from this thread as well as Bill's.  I have certainly learned a bunch with this build.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #192 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
Just awesome Bob, you and Bill are really get after it....... :praise2:

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2017, 01:30:40 AM »
Wow. Putting the penny in the shot...I mean wow.

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
Thanks Don and Zee. 

Nothing to really show for this weekend.  I did manage to rough cut a bar for the crankshaft.  I might get a start on it tonight.  This time of year, things start getting busy with family related stuff.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal