Author Topic: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"  (Read 75091 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
Bob,
The first time I built one of these carbs I thought "there's no way this thing will work!" but it does. Looks good!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:09 AM »
Thanks George.  Does the orientation of the .020 hole in the spray bar make a difference?   The hole could be parallel to the axis of the throat of the mixer body or it could be oriented perpindicular.  I assume that I would want it parallel inorder for it to draw fuel.  Arv's notes do not specify.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »
Good question Bob, I was assuming the same thing you were, parallel. Looking forward to the answer.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2017, 03:35:12 AM »
I can just hear it now: "What ever happened to ole Bill" ......................"Well ever since he discovered sewing needles, he's spending all his time over on the Quilting Forum now"!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:23 AM »
Good question Bob, I was assuming the same thing you were, parallel. Looking forward to the answer.

Bill

Perpendicular, at least that is the way it is on my 1.5hp John Deere Stationary engine.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
I can just hear it now: "What ever happened to ole Bill" ......................"Well ever since he discovered sewing needles, he's spending all his time over on the Quilting Forum now"!  :lolb:

Jim

Actually been there, done that Jim, though it wasn't quilting it was counted cross stitch. When I was younger and the eyes were better I found it quite relaxing. Unfortunately any needles I have left over from those days though have more rounded blunt points. This application needs sharp points. Hoping to get by Hobby Lobby this afternoon :)

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
I put mine parallel with the axis of the throat of the carb. That way it seems to make more of a Venturi.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
Thanks George!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »

Jim

Actually been there, done that Jim, though it wasn't quilting it was counted cross stitch. When I was younger and the eyes were better I found it quite relaxing. Unfortunately any needles I have left over from those days though have more rounded blunt points. This application needs sharp points. Hoping to get by Hobby Lobby this afternoon :)

Bill

It's surprising how many men have done counted cross stitch or needle point..............myself included.  I think it has something with the way the process works that appeals to them. One of the most famous to do needle point was Rosey Grier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosey_Grier I remember on a talk show he said that he's actually a gentle person.........................unless he sees someone holding a football!  :hammerbash: Or a gun if you read his bio.

Jim

PS: This needle valve project is interesting. It never occurred to me to actually use a needle for a needle valve.  :Doh:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
Thanks Dave and George. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
Just worked through the whole thread Bob looks great loved all the set ups with the face plate and the pallet. I had not seen the pallet device before. it looks like the surface is ground and the sides milled?

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
Great to have you along Mike.

Yes, you are correct.  Only the top surface is ground.  At the time when I made it, I didn't have anything to bank it off of to grind the sides square.  Also, lengthwise it I don't think it would fit under my little Sanford grinder.  I milled pretty square directly on the mill table.  What I was after was a flat surface parallel to the bottom of the pallet. 

I would call it a fixture plate, but Tom Lipton did a video and called his a mini pallet.  They've been around forever.  They are real handy.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
Still following along Bob.  :popcorn:

I remember Rosey. And quilting is on my 'someday' list. Odd...I was just thinking about it the other day.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:55 PM »
Thanks Carl.

This will probably be a slow week for updates.  My wife is on vacation and we are spending a bunch of "qt" while the kids are at school.  I'm still going to try and get some shop time in. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
I agree with comments made by others here. This is great fun watching three of these builds going on. Especially when a Benchmaster is used!  :cheers:

Pete

Which one of you guys has my old Benchmaster?
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal