Author Topic: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"  (Read 75644 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: 1st I.C. build "Tiny"
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:34 AM »
I use three different strengths of OptiVisor. Have for years now! Can't see anything close up without them. They work very well with bi-focals.....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:43 AM »
Bob

Yes!...     just get them!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 03:14:52 AM »
I use an optivisor too, fits over my glasses just fine. It has a headband to hold it, and it pivots down in front of your glasses. Not sure how many models they have, mine has interchangeable lenses for different magnifications. Very handy.

Which one do you have Chris? So far I've gotten by with a handheld magnifying glass, but would like to get an optivisor. I have the same issue of needing it to go over my glasses.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2017, 03:20:45 AM »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2017, 03:28:56 AM »
I use an optivisor too, fits over my glasses just fine. It has a headband to hold it, and it pivots down in front of your glasses. Not sure how many models they have, mine has interchangeable lenses for different magnifications. Very handy.

Which one do you have Chris? So far I've gotten by with a handheld magnifying glass, but would like to get an optivisor. I have the same issue of needing it to go over my glasses.

Jim
I have two different ones, different brands, one has interchangeable lenses, which is a must since the stronger magnification usually also has a shorter focus distance. I got them decades ago for scrimshaw work, come in handy for other work too. Being nearsighted has come i handy since for some work I just take the glasses off.
Mine are so old that I doubt the model numbers would help, probably changed by now. Main features to look for: adjustable headband, range of magnification, focus distance, ability to swing up the front to look at other things. Lights on them are not worth bothering with.
If you have a store like woodcraft locally, they carry several. Jewelry tool suppliers have them too.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2017, 03:55:33 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave and Chris. I'll get one ordered. Either that or I'll just buy a bigger lathe and mill and build bigger engines!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 04:04:05 AM »
Wow.  The consensus is that these work well.  I'll have to get a pair.  Thanks everyone.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
I can only reflect the sentiments of others...they work well...normally I take my bifocals off when wearing them but they certainly can be used with glasses as well.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »
I'm a nut!

Rocker Arm Jam Nut:

I used the same piece of mystery metal to make the jam nut for the rocker arm stud.  I chucked it in a drill chuck that has a 3/8 shank in the lathe.  It was faced, drilled and tapped 0-80.  Then it was turned to .100 OD.  Next the drill chuck was moved to the Spin Indexer and the flats were cut until it "looked right".  Then it was back to the lathe to add a chamfer and partoff.  (I decided to make it with an integral washer.)

I don't know if I like the integral washer.  I have enough left on the bar to make a plain jam nut.

What do you think? 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
Maybe just thin the washer portion down a touch?

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
I like the looks of that Bob, but, I think the originals were a thin nut, even thinner than a standard one

Eric

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
Agreed Chris.

Yeah I know Eric; jam nuts are usually around half the width of regular nuts.  My concern is that this nut has to be functional because it will play a part in adjusting the engine.  Therefore, it will probably be loosened and tightened a few times, which will make it prone to the wrench slipping and hurting it.  That was the main reason for the integral washer.  To help prevent the wrench from slipping.

After thinking about it.  I have an idea for wrench that should reduce the chance of slipping.  I have to see how feasible it is.  In the mean time I'm going to knockout a "proper" jam nut.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
The pictures make it look huge Bob. I know from looking at the 0-80 hex nuts I have on hand just how small they are. It certainly doesn't look that out of proportion to me though, and as you say it is functional so that has to be a consideration too.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »
The pictures make it look huge Bob. I know from looking at the 0-80 hex nuts I have on hand just how small they are. It certainly doesn't look that out of proportion to me though, and as you say it is functional so that has to be a consideration too.

Bill

True Bill. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »

Bill

True Bill. 

-Bob
That's how they make the crunchy m&ms?!?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal