Thanks everyone. It was a productive weekend but as we say in aviation "the jobs not done until it's documented". First up was the bearing blocks. The blocks were squared up and cut to size. Next the mounting holes were drilled.
Then the blankets were superglued together and the holes for the bearings were drilled and reamed.
Then I used the Arnoldb method of rounding the ends. A drill bit shank was pushed through the blanks. Next a series of tiny step cuts were taken to set the general shape of the curve.
Then the part was cleaned up on the belt sander until the curves were smoothed out. Then I turned a set of bronze bearings to be a slip fit in the hole. Eventually I will put them in with Locktite. That way they won't distort from being pressed in.
Next up is the crankshaft. I started by turning the boss and the outer diameter. Then I drilled the center hole.
Then the part was moved to the mill while still on the parent stock. The crank hole was drilled and tapped and the crank web were cut.
Then the crank was parted off from the parent stock. Next I cut the shaft and turned it down to fit the crank.
The shaft was pressed into the crank and then the crank was trued up in the lathe.
Next up were the parallel motion arms. Two blanks were squared up and cut to size. Then the end holes were drilled.
The forks were then milled out.
The sides were milled down to dimension.
Then I soldered the pins into the fork. I deviated from Elmer's construction method by soldering in a single pin. Here they are right out of the pickle.
Then the center was cut out and cleaned up with some hand filling. Next the ends were rounded over and set of rods were threaded at both ends.
I started to put everything together for a family shot when I realized that I had forgotten to tap the holes in the bearing blocks. With that taken care of here is the family shot.
Work is a little crazy this week so it might be a while before I can post the next update.
Thanks for looking
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk