Author Topic: AOG's version of Elmer's number 32 The tall vertical open column engine.  (Read 4037 times)

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 683
Thanks guys, I'm slowly makeing progress.

Tony

Offline gerritv

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 560
  • St Catharines, ON
    • Gerrit's Hobbies
A really informative sequence of operations. Looks like a very buildable engine.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 683
Thanks Gerrit, this engine is quite buildable. Most of the motion is made up of "standard" Elmer parts. If you've done any of his intermediate engines you will have no issues with this one. The only thing I struggle with sometimes is the small size of the components. I should have made it 2x but I didn't feel like doing all of the conversions. In this case, the price of lazy is some small parts.

Tony

Offline zeeprogrammer

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6389
  • West Chester, PA, USA
Boy that vise really dwarfs the parts no?

Nice work!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 683
Here is the next update. I started by making the piston rod assembly. First the piston blank was turned .04 under and grooved for the O ring.



Then the center was drilled, tapped and parted off



Then the top end was squared up and drilled.



Next the rod itself was cut to length and threaded.



Then the top end was soldered to the rod and pickled.
I started on the connecting rod. Next. The end blanks were squared up and the top end drilled and tapped.



The bottom end was centered in the four jaw and drilled to take the rod.



Then the bottom was rounded over.



It was over to the mill where the pivot hole was drilled.



Then the ends were rounded over using filing buttons. Next the center  of the fork was milled out.



The rod itself was threaded and the lower end was soldered onto the rod and pickled.



While I was waiting for the rods to pickle I turned up the crank pin from hex stock.



I'll end this post with a family shot.



I'm getting close. Just the flywheel and some linkages left to do.

Till next time

Tony


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline zeeprogrammer

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6389
  • West Chester, PA, USA
I'm getting close. Just the flywheel and some linkages left to do.

 :whoohoo:

Nice family shot. Thanks. I always enjoy seeing those.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 683
Ok let's finish this puppy out. Next up is the flywheel. It was placed in the three jaw and both ends were cleaned up.



Next the outer circumference was cleaned up.



Then the center was drilled and reamed.



The last thing was to drill and tap for a setscrew.



Only two linkages left. Some scrap bar was cut to width and split in half. Since I was going to file the ends I didn't square them up. I found the middle of the bars and drilled the required holes.



Then I rounded over the ends using a file and filing buttons.



That completes the machining on this project. I have started to lag the cylinder and prep the flywheel for paint. When it's finished pics will be in the showcase.

Tony


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13759
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Looking  forward to the happy dance Tony. You made quick work if this one!!

Bill

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 683
She's a runner. Final pics a video can be found in the showcase.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7061.msg147101/topicseen.html#new

Till next time

Tony