Author Topic: Potty Popcorn Engine Cross Head  (Read 3077 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Potty Popcorn Engine Cross Head
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
Rather than high Jack Ricks thread I thought I'd start a new one on how I made the cross head for the pop corn engine, but if I was starting all over again I would make it this way its far to complicated, I think I would fabricate it in two section a loctite it together.

But before we get started its winge time over photobucket that host my photographs, it runs far to slow and is swamped with adverts that seems to lock my computers up, yes for a fee I can get advert free hosting but I hate parting with my hard earned money so who do you guys use for photo hosting these days?, I realy don't want to change has it will be a hassle swapping my photos over but at the moment going through using photobucket is getting just too much of a hassle.

Any way to the job in hand.

First job

Turn up a blank

Drill out using a fixed steady (my lathes spindle was too small to take this size) bigger lathe would have simplified things or make it in two parts.

Bore out for a nice fit on the cylinder cover.

With the blank turned up mill away the unwanted material

That's it guys I give up with Photbucket its taken me over an hour to get this far I'm afraid I have better things to do with my time to be honest its putting me off posting.

IS THERE A BETTER PLACE TO HOST YOUR PICTURES

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Re: Potty Popcorn Engine Cross Head
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
OK her's the drawings.

Stew

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
I wish I knew what to do with photo posting/hosting. I haven't done any because everyone says PB is crap yet there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative mentioned...

I downloaded your drawings. Thank you for posting them.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
Stew, whatever you decide to do I would not "swap over" your photos as all the links in your posts will be lost. best to just leave what you have in PB there and start from new with any future posts.

I don't find PB a problem but do pay the small yearly fee which means it is quick to load and use.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
Stew
I can well understand your frustration with PB, I've just started using it and was amazed how long it took to upload pictures.  Like you, I am "careful with a pound" as my Scottish father would have been proud to confirm, so I don't want to be paying for owt I can get for nowt; the trade off is the advertising which drives me nuts. What I do now is set my pictures to upload and go off and do something else while the PB wheels slowly grind away and write my post later. 
I have no real solution to offer but whatever you decide to do please don't stop posting. 
As your Popcorn engine is my next project I note your comment regarding a 2 piece trunk guide and will try to come up with something myself if you do decide to throw in the towel on this thread.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
I use PB, but like Jason pay the yearly fee. Once I did that, uploads went quite a bit faster. Also, take a look at the size of photos that you're uploading. All of mine are 480 x 640 which may make uploads go faster.

The only problem I've had with PB is that the entire pictures folder for my Parsell & Weed engine build has disappeared.  :killcomputer: The weird thing is, they are still showing up in my build thread, so they must still be on their server someplace. I've been e-mailing them, but so far they haven't been able to help. I've still got the photos on my computer, but I'm hoping I don't have to upload them again and rebuild all the links.  :wallbang:

All that said, like you,  I wouldn't mind finding a new host for my photos.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »
The sad truth is, you're not getting photo hosting for free. You either pay for it with advertising or you pay for it with $$ or pounds in your case.  Its your choice.  If there's a better place out there, it would be good to know.  But I'm betting you'll be paying one way or the other, no matter what.  There's no free lunch here.

I've been able to make Photo Bucket work OK for me.  Sometimes I do have problems with it, but nothing I haven't been able to 'wait through'.  And as Jim said, make your photo's small, and it will go a lot faster.   Plus, you don't run out of room very fast that way. I've got 4 years of build photos up on Photo bucket and have only used 10% of my free storage allotment.

But PB isn't free, no matter what people say.  You pay for it, one way or another!  ::)

I hope you can come up with a reasonable solution for your photo hosting Stew,
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »
Have you looked at PostImage.com? I use it as an alternate, no ads, seems to work just fine.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:46:32 PM »
I appreciate pictures posted this way with individual captions. It makes it easy to follow along.  However I don't have the knowledge or willpower to do similar. All my pics go from camera to Picasa and then get uploaded in "blocks" I apologise if this annoys anyone but thats the way it is. :disappointed:       Terry

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
Thanks for posting this Stew, I wasn't aware there was a Popcorn engine in your Potty series  :)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »
Stew
I can well understand your frustration with PB, I've just started using it and was amazed how long it took to upload pictures.  Like you, I am "careful with a pound" as my Scottish father would have been proud to confirm, so I don't want to be paying for owt I can get for nowt; the trade off is the advertising which drives me nuts. What I do now is set my pictures to upload and go off and do something else while the PB wheels slowly grind away and write my post later. 
I have no real solution to offer but whatever you decide to do please don't stop posting. 
As your Popcorn engine is my next project I note your comment regarding a 2 piece trunk guide and will try to come up with something myself if you do decide to throw in the towel on this thread.
Jim

My Dad was Scottish, my wife is Scottish, my daughter in law is Scottish and my son know lives in Glasgow, but I think you'll agree with me Jim that the music hall myth that Scots are miserly is far from the truth you wont meet a more generous warm hearted population of people. 

:)

But I still don't like parting with my money to a multi million concern, but I'm afraid to say that they have you over a barrel with this one, but I find it strange that the people who pay for the adverts tolerate the company running an an add free service in direct competition.

Any way despite my rantings I've had to bite the bullet dip into my deep pockets and go add free, so her we go lets give it a try:-

Marking it out

Cutting it out

Fitting Cross Head

And her's a few pictures of the completed engine

Well that worked 100% better,

Stew

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:34:43 AM by sbwhart »

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
I use PBase for hosting.  Yearly fee is reasonable and site is reliable, no ads.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal