Author Topic: New Member Cheshire UK  (Read 2003 times)

Offline GSherwood

New Member Cheshire UK
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
Hi All

Been lurking a little while reading the two great threads on building the Parcell & Weed hit and miss engine ( Jim and Bill ) and got hooked againand just bought the casting set from Tod - I had to have a go.
I have been model engineering on and off for many years , have built a 5" gauge Sweet Pea narrow gauge loco pre kids , but as they were growing up didnt seem to get much time , or have much money  :D and ME has taken a serious back seat for many years.
I recently turned 20*3 , have the means if not the time now , and am itching to get stuck in again.

Cheers
Graham

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: New Member Cheshire UK
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »
Welcome Graham. The P&W will get you back into things in a great way. I've got to get busy on mine again as Jim is inching up on me. Glad to have you with us.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »
 :hi: Graham,

Sounds like a good casting set to remind yourself of how to use your tools. Speaking of which you didn't mention your workshop  :naughty:...

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
Hi All

Been lurking a little while reading the two great threads on building the Parcell & Weed hit and miss engine ( Jim and Bill ) and got hooked againand just bought the casting set from Tod - I had to have a go.
I have been model engineering on and off for many years , have built a 5" gauge Sweet Pea narrow gauge loco pre kids , but as they were growing up didnt seem to get much time , or have much money  :D and ME has taken a serious back seat for many years.
I recently turned 20*3 , have the means if not the time now , and am itching to get stuck in again.

Cheers
Graham

Welcome to Model Engine Maker (MEM) Graham.  :hi: This is a great place to hang out. Lots of good folks and information.

It's nice to hear that Bill and my P & W build threads got you inspired. Certainly makes these threads worth doing. If you do a build thread also, we'll have 3 going at the same time.  :ThumbsUp: Are you building the horizontal or vertical version? What lathe and mill will you be using for machining?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Hi Graham and welcome to the group.  Shall we see another Parcell & Weed build log?  The more the better.

Vince

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
Where abouts in Cheshire.?

I am in Warrington.

Regards,  Nick

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline GSherwood

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
Many thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

Nick - I am in Northwich , about 1 mile from the town center near the old Art College.
Vcustajar - I will see how progress goes before making it public , I am not shy but at this stage quite happy to follow others footsteps .....
Jo - I have a venerable 4" Boxford CUD with all the usual accessories including vertical slides etc , a Kerry vertical drill , a generic band saw and MIG welding gear which I am still learning how to use.
On ordering Todd kindly sent me the material schedule for the P&W and the GA drawing. I can see straight away I dont have any of the treading gear - to date the models I have made have all used BA sizes or ME sizes ( like 1/4 by 32 and 1/8 by 40 ) , but not UNC which I think the P&W calls for. Would I be advised to kit myself out with UNC taps and dies , or is there is commonly used one for one with British taps like BA and ME that is safe ?

Thanks
Graham

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »
I am no expert but personally I would use the taps and dies that I had.  I have always used near equivalent metric threads instead of going to the extra expense of getting the taps and dies that are called for in plans.

Vince

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 01:03:33 AM »
Welcome to MEM Graham.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »
Hi there Graham, welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Welcome Graham :- I'm from Crewe

If your thinking of joining a club why not give use a visit:- South Cheshire Model Engineering Society.

http://www.southcheshiremes.com/

From April once the weather improves there will be someone at the track most week ends running a loco.
We hold monthly talks, and have a working party at the track every Tuesday 11:00pm - 2:00pm:- well that's our excuse to have a natter over a lunchtime pie

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
Welcome Graham

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
Hi Graham welcome to the club I see that you are a warringtonian the Hammer place !! is there a museum of hammers there as i have this one that i cannot find any info about.......maybe they could help me out   it is great of banging in square wooden posts in the allotment as it does not splinter off the edges.........Willbert

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal