Author Topic: 5 C COLLET CHUCK  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
5 C COLLET CHUCK
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
 :pinkelephant:   :whoohoo: Finally got my 5 C collet chuck. I had purchase a faceplate from RGD tools and my chuck from LMS. Run out is .00025 good enough for me. I had a ER 32 collet chuck but like this one a whole lot better more support are and holds bigger stock.
I am a happy camper. I still making tools here but will start a thread making a Forward and Aft compound Steam Engine Soon. All brass of course.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 5 C COLLET CHUCK
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
Looks great Don!    I've got the same one....a Bison.   I had it on my Atlas, and now it's on my Logan.   Great Chuck!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline rhitee93

• West Central Indiana, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:26:24 AM »
Congrats Don.  That is  great addition  :cheers: I love working with 5C collets.
-Brian

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
Thanks Dave and Brian looking forward to using it. Since I got my Myford, I have been trying to acquire more tools for it. It's called tool acquisition syndrome. I have it again.

Don

Offline rhitee93

• West Central Indiana, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »
Don't  sweat it Don, I've  had TAS since I was 5 years old.  :ROFL:
-Brian

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »
Since I got my Myford, I have been trying to acquire more tools for it. It's called tool acquisition syndrome. I have it again.

Don

I have been suffering with that constantly for about 25 years now :old:. I don't think there is any cure :ROFL:.

I have 5C's on my Prazimat, they are great :ThumbsUp:. I must get around to making a back stop for them .

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
Don,

Nice one.

I have been using 5C for more years than I can remember, in fact, my 5C is my standard chuck, and only gets replaced when I need to do something a little larger. Mind you, I did regrind the nose on all the ones I have had (4 cheapo ones in total) and got them all to within a couple of tenths runout. The Hardinge lathe I used to use at one place I worked, never suffered from any runout at all though, and was an absolute delight to work with, but that had a quick release system as standard, unlike the key style that we all tend to use.
Which brings me to a point I must mention about key operated 5C chucks, using a backstop, and a thing Jo is looking at.

If you are going to be using a backstop, you should always use one that is locked into you spindle, not one of the commercial ones that you can buy that screw into the end of the collet, unless you can tighten to exactly the same position on your chuck key and your material parts all measure exactly the same OD.
The reason being, especially if you are facing off or bringing all parts to the same length. With a collet fitting stop, it moves with the collet, so if you don't tighten up to the same setting every time, or your piece parts are not all the same diameter exactly, the workpiece can be nearer or further away each time from the tool tip that you have critically set up on your first piece part.
I know this from experience, and the wayward figure in my case was up to 0.010" out. So now, if it is a critical job, I always use my spindle mounted stop. Once that is done, I can make hundreds of parts, all within a couple of tenths of each other.

Just enjoy your new found precision.

John

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
Thanks for that Tip John!

......and Jo

"..... I don't think there is any cure . "

It's a fatal disease and there is no cure!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
John
Is the spindle mounted collet stop a "store-bought" item or is it made in the shop? Do you have a C-O-C for a shop made stop?.

Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
Jo and John I have the collet stop and have not tried it yet and thanks for the tip.

Don

Bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
Stan,

Just for you, I have just transferred over an old post.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,696.new.html#new

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
A bit off-topic here. Move this if there's a better place.

I've been dreaming of the day I get a larger/better lathe. Usually when I see people talk about getting a lathe...it's the usual spec wars. Speeds, swing, bed length, etc. Where I get confused is when it comes to the availability of add-ons such as 5C chucks, or whatever. I know many things can be made but not all of us are willing to make everything.

What kinds of questions should one be asking when it comes to this?
What are 'major' or 'common' additional tooling?

Another example is a quick change tool post. There's always the question of availability, compatibility, and differences between them when more than one is available for a particular lathe.

Just asking :)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
Hi Zee,

That is a endless question...but it can be narrowed by deciding on what it is you want to make?   If you sticking with small engines, a lathe up to 12" is all you will ever need.   A 7" of 9" may be better as they have a good deal more feel for small work.   But that is getting into personal preference.

I have this link .....that talks about all this .......and it's a great place to start rationally.......after you've done it for a while, you can decide what else you want to go with the lathe .     but this link talks about the basics....and it really applies.

Kitting Up To Make Model IC Engines, Part 1

www.modelenginenews.org

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
Thanks Dave. Looks like a lot of great information. I'll be spending some time in that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »
Good to hear Zee!   I would just do a site search under the topic  "Kitting Up To Make Model IC Engines, Part 1"

That'll get you there.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal