Author Topic: Slip collar scale on original Myford leadscrew handwheel.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Slip collar scale on original Myford leadscrew handwheel.
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »
After reading this  thread http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,555.0.html and understanding the pain it is to remember the last number and adding another "X amount" to the last division that was on some odd number. The idea of adding a slip collar with the scale on it was very appealing. I thought about a few ways to use the one in the hand-wheel itself by parting it off and mounting it somehow, mainly because of the pain of doing the indexing of the 125 divisions.

In the end I decided that an aluminum disc slipped over the hub of the original with some spring tension to press it up to the existing scale might be a workable solution. here is a picture of progress so far.

It slips smoothly, so this is where I left it last night after making a rather crude spring, with a small brass washer at the bracket end to stop the spring from hooking itself on the bracket. Today I will make a cleaner spring,by winding a longer piece of 3/64 music wire around a bit of 3/4 inch rod. I have found that by trial and error making the odd spring from music wire to be an easy way to get a spring to suit a novel application.

Mike   
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: Slip collar scale on original Myford leadscrew handwheel.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
Waiting for the shop to warm up a bit, was -1c when I went out this morning its up to about 6c now but the metal is hard cold on my hands even with gloves on.

Marking the index lines worked out to be a much easier task that I had first anticipated.

by setting it up in the 3 jaw and using the existing marks as the guide I have been winding in the cross slide very carefully and wiggling the chuck back a forth a fraction until the tool is seated in the indent groove on the original hand wheel, wind the carriage forward to make the line. "rinse and repeat"

Thinking about how to demarcate them after , perhaps colors for the major increments and the numbers.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
Finished the graduations and decided to not show  the 005" markings only the 010" and the 001" marks I also reconfigured the bed indicator to be more visible from the front.

I used the same Myford screw.

and from the top

All I need now is some small number punches to put the numbers on.

Mike

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
Sweet!!  :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:50:30 AM »
I like that solution...didn't someone(maybe Geo Thomas?) have a solution to this too?
I hardly ever use the handwheel because its so hard to keep track!

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:28:05 AM »
Pete, PJ, thanks for your kind remarks. PJ, recently I did a small project that required using the hand wheel and it became a bit of a nightmare remembering the numbers all the time. I ended up setting the handwheel to a whole number and using the compound slide to set a zero at the work face.

I went back through a number of pages looking for something and eventually did a search and found the thread I referenced at the beginning. I just picked up some 2mm number punches so tonight I shall set up to set the numbers.

Mike

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:07 AM »
You guys are making me really appreciate the zero adjustable hand wheels on my Sherlines. I'd be lost without them. Now I understand why folks want DRO's on their lathes and mills.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:03:21 AM »
Milled up a bit of Ally to make a holder for the punches

the punches worked nicely in the slot.

That's it job done.

Mike

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »
Hi Mike,
 Looks like you cracked that!
Nice numbering, you're going to love that dial, makes working much less stressful!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal