Author Topic: New CNC Toy  (Read 5140 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: New CNC Toy
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 06:12:55 AM »
So here is the router mostly assembled:

The assembly seems quite rigid so I don't think chatter will be an issue in wood or plastics.  A couple of other notes on machine design.  First, the stepper motors for the Y axis is attached directly to the leadscrew with a rigid coupler.  This means the bearing in the stepper will have to carry the full axial and radial loads from moving the table.  Probably not an issue on this small machine, but larger routers have separate bearing assemblies to carry the leadscrew loads.  The other thing is, there are no machined ends on the lead screws.  This means that the coupler, pulleys, all the knobs, and shaft collars use set screws tightened directly against the threaded rod.  Probably not a problem but seems kind of inelegant.

Only other problem is I seem to have a lot of screws and other unidentified fastener pieces left over.  Going to have to go back over the assembly pictures and see what I've missed.  Unfortunately, the assembly pictures are for an earlier version machine, so I don't know how helpful they'll be.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »
Chuck, are the leadscrews made of normal threaded rod?

Vince

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
So here is the router mostly assembled:

The assembly seems quite rigid so I don't think chatter will be an issue in wood or plastics.  A couple of other notes on machine design.  First, the stepper motors for the Y axis is attached directly to the leadscrew with a rigid coupler.  This means the bearing in the stepper will have to carry the full axial and radial loads from moving the table.  Probably not an issue on this small machine, but larger routers have separate bearing assemblies to carry the leadscrew loads.  The other thing is, there are no machined ends on the lead screws.  This means that the coupler, pulleys, all the knobs, and shaft collars use set screws tightened directly against the threaded rod.  Probably not a problem but seems kind of inelegant.

Only other problem is I seem to have a lot of screws and other unidentified fastener pieces left over.  Going to have to go back over the assembly pictures and see what I've missed.  Unfortunately, the assembly pictures are for an earlier version machine, so I don't know how helpful they'll be.

Chuck

Gee....I know this guy with a lathe........just sayin    8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »
Woodguy, when you send a message there is a check box at the bottom asking if you want to save a copy in your outbox. If you check this box your outgoing messages will be saved as well. Unfortunately you can do it retroactively.

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
Yeah, Steamer, I could have turned down the ends of the hardened lead screws using carbide tooling.  But then none of the collars or the pulley or knobs would fit so I decided it wasn't worth it.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 05:02:40 AM »
Had some honey do's to take care of today, so didn't get much done on the engraver.  I did some tune up, making sure all the axes were square and perpendicular.  I've also got all the axes sliding smoothly with no binding or tight spots.  Pretty happy with the way this little machine is coming together.

I have to install the handle, the circuit board, and all the wiring.  Then I have to get started on installing and configuring the software.  As stated by woodguy, myfordboy has pretty complete instructions on his website detailling the software installation, so I'm not foreseeing any issues there.

Vince, the lead-screws are either 3 or 4 start (can't tell which by looking without disassembling), acme thread driving spring-loaded, anti-backlash brass nuts.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 04:50:20 AM »
So, I uploaded the GRBL software to the Arduino and installed the Universal G-Code Sender on my PC. Piece of cake thanks to Woodguy's instructions on myfordboy's website.  Got the X, Y, and Z axes moving although I need to play with the current settings to increase the torque on the steppers.  Hope to have a video forthcoming soon.

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal