Author Topic: cutoff tool  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Davis2x1

• Retired Mechanical Engineer
cutoff tool
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
Trying to use my rear cutoff tool to cut the piston ring grooves in my 1 inch diameter piston.  The tool has a tendency to slide over in the groove and bend. I can normally move the carriage slightly to correct the cut. 
The question is " is there a good way to hand sharpen the tool it to get a straight cut"?
Dave
Sherline Mill and Lathe

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
Re: cutoff tool
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
Can You make the tool stick out less there by increasing rigidity?

Offline AOG

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »
I normally get that problem when the tool post isn't square with the work. There is a quick way to make sure it's square (assuming your tool bit isn't round). Put a bar in your your chuck and face it off (or you can use your part if it's been faced flat. Advance your crosslide until the tool holder pivot is centered on the chuck. I often use a center in the taistock as a guide. Loosen your tool holder and advance the carriage until the flat of the tool is resting against the edge of the bar/part and tighten it back down. If did you it right the tool is now parallel to the face of the work and should cut straight.

Tony

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Trying to use my rear cutoff tool to cut the piston ring grooves in my 1 inch diameter piston.  The tool has a tendency to slide over in the groove and bend. I can normally move the carriage slightly to correct the cut. 
The question is " is there a good way to hand sharpen the tool it to get a straight cut"?

Dave, The rear mounter cutoff, by way of its construction, needs to stick out about 3/4" in order to be at center height. Also, it is ground at a slight angle. Picture below.

I had an extra blade, so ground it square and mounted it in a holder for my A2Z quick change tool post. This tool cuts from the front. Now it is level and can be protruded out whatever amount is required.

Also, a while back I purchased the Arthur Warner cutoff/groover: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-25-kit-21-38-inch-cutoff-groover-right-hand.aspx The blades come in different widths.

They also have a cutoff tool that is on my want list: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-282-kit-28-38-inch-parting-tool.aspx

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
Jim, I have been looking at that Warner cut off tool holder also. Like you I have the grooving tool and love it!! I haven't had that many problems with the A2Z QCTP using an .040" wide cut off blade but it won't fit into the QCTP for the Cowells, hence my reason for looking at the Warner cut off too. The main thing is to keep as little sticking out as possible.

Bill

Offline Davis2x1

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
Tony, Thanks for the tip on setting he cutoff blade square to the work piece.  I have been using a visual method setting the blade by eye. not so good.

Jim, I have the #3018 rear mount cutoff tool which has the blade parallel to the carriage. The extension is adjustable and I will shorten it up for grooving.  My front mount holder #3002 has the blade at about 8 degrees. I now see how it can be used at the rear by reversing the blade and adding the #3016 mounting block.

First piston is toast. Hopefully aligning the blade will solve my problems. I will also look at the Warner tool.

Thanks for your comments.
Dave
Sherline Mill and Lathe

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »
Tony, Thanks for the tip on setting he cutoff blade square to the work piece.  I have been using a visual method setting the blade by eye. not so good.

Jim, I have the #3018 rear mount cutoff tool which has the blade parallel to the carriage. The extension is adjustable and I will shorten it up for grooving.  My front mount holder #3002 has the blade at about 8 degrees. I now see how it can be used at the rear by reversing the blade and adding the #3016 mounting block.

First piston is toast. Hopefully aligning the blade will solve my problems. I will also look at the Warner tool.

Thanks for your comments.

Now that's something I never noticed before. The regular #3018 rear mount holder puts the upside down blade parallel to the carriage. My rear mount holder is made up of the #3002 front mount holder and the #3016 Cutoff Tool Rear Mounting Block which puts the cutoff tool on the rear at an 8 degree angle.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »
Dave, the front face of your chuck is a good reference surface against which to set the side of the part-off tool. Steve

Offline Davis2x1

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:09 AM »
My drilling engine now has a well machined piston.
Thanks again for the good advice.
Dave
Sherline Mill and Lathe

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
Hi Dave,
 Another tip I picked up from this forum on setting your tool holder square, use a 1.2.3 block or the metric equivalent  ;) depending where you are. Loosen the toolholder, trap the block between the face of the chuck & the toolholder & tighten down the toolholder, job done! Works a treat!

Oooooh more tools to drool over! Those grooving tools look nice!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal