Author Topic: Rotary table build  (Read 23387 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Rotary table build
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Thanks Tel pm sent. Like the earlier prepared version. Can understand the regret
Pete
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:08:14 AM by Pete49 »
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
OK a package in the mail from Tel has me back at it. After a few adjustments (rebuild :Lol:) I went for it and bored the gear to suit the new shaft and made the thread....woah bit tricky at that speed after much panic and worry its done and turned out OK but now another project is on the list....a back gear to slow the spindle way down as 250 rpm was a bit scary over the 1/2 inch it had to travel.
pics on the camera so will upload them later. Whoops a royal command has been given  so more of the honeydos before more shed time. A downside to owning a home I guess as I,m the landlord and have to do the work  :(
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »
Good to see you back at it Pete!

A little tip - when you head for the workshop, walk out backwards, that way she'll think you are coming in! ;)
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Pete49

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
good thinking ...I was thinking pepper in the eyes but that would hurt.........me when she comes good :ROFL:   
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »
Just an update to show the pics of where I'm at prior to the bandsaw blade breaking
Pete

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
Coming along nicely there Pete

Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
Still watching Pete.
I'm glad you posted those pics. I'd forgotten how the base was made and was wondering.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
It's coming Pete!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
Ok a couple more pics of the progress... (I took lessons from troutsqueezer :ROFL:) The gear has been made to suit the new shaft ( since the upsize it was too short) and I decided to fit some brass bushes to the worm shaft, probably overkill with the amount of work I envisage but you never can tell the future.
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »
OK now at the stage of marking the degrees on the table and wheel. I thought of making a couple strips of paper with the degrees on them and sticking to the items then marking them. Problem is I don't have a program that can do this and not able to get my head around it. Any suggestions or help appreciated
Pete

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:43 AM »
OK now at the stage of marking the degrees on the table and wheel. I thought of making a couple strips of paper with the degrees on them and sticking to the items then marking them. Problem is I don't have a program that can do this and not able to get my head around it. Any suggestions or help appreciated
Pete

Pete,

You are more than welcome to use my RT & Mill. Send me a message next time your heading south and I'll open up the shop. Just not a Wednesday as that is chauffeur duty for SWMDBO.

Hope this will help.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Pete49

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »
Thanks for the offer Bob, I'l keep it in mind. The chances of getting to the big smoke before xmas is zero to none but who knows what fate has in store for me. I just remembered my navigation kit I had when I was sailing so will see what I have there that my help

Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 05:44:15 AM »
A common old full circle school compass, fitted to the back of the spindle, with some sort of pointer/clamp plate will do the job nicely - nip down to the newsagent and spent 98c!

Offline tel

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »
Or, if you want to hang on to your 98c, print off a degree wheel (there's thousands of 'em on the interweb), stick it to a disc of something and ditto repeato

Offline Pete49

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:11 AM »
Tel you re a genius.... :cheers: I vill giv you a green apfel. :Lol: I have the identical compass and was trying to figure a way to use it.....onwards and upwards :cartwheel:
For the dial I found a piece of 40mm scrap aluminum rod and as a bonus my little Russian lathe wheel on the lead screw matches the marks I need for the  crank dial.... at least I think so. It takes 30 turns to get a full rev of the table and that's the numbers on the lathe wheel so I should be right? I'll stick up a pic of what I mean later
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal