Author Topic: Rotary table build  (Read 23385 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Rotary table build
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:17 AM »
Well as my beam engine is an hold due to a few problems I decided to start on a rotary table as done by deano and also built & catalogued by Arnoldb. The pics show where I'm at for now as I'm going to get a piece of steel for the table Monday (I hope)
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Rotary table build
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:03 AM »
Oh I'll tag along for that!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »
Count me in for the ride as well.

Mike O

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
I'll be watching too.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Hey count me in on this ride. Should be some interesting project.

Don

Offline Pete49

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
OK a bit more done today. I didn't take pics of the tapping of the holes for the shaft but I guess you all know how that goes. Also opened out the hole for the bearing in the base. That pretty much was my days work. More to come tomorrow ;D. My next real hurdle will be finding a worm and gear to suit as I'm not confident in that dept.  :( I will see if I can buy something close for this job as I don't want to stuff it all up.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Good going Pete  :ThumbsUp:

If you don't want to try to make your own worm and gear, look for a set with either a 60:1 ratio or 72:1 ratio that will fit.  A 90:1 ratio would also work, but from what you've shown so far, a 90:1 combination might be too big to fit (or have very fine teeth, which can make things difficult with alignment and spacing)  Other numbers can be awkward to calibrate.  I'm really pleased with the 72:1 ratio I went for; that gives 5o per turn of the handwheel and makes things easy to mentally calculate while using the table.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip Arnold, I'll look around to see what I can scrounge up. The overall size of the base is 4 inches, 0.375 thick walls so about 3.250 internal. I won't show the welds as its been a while since I had to stick weld but the mig is out of gas :( and it shows ::)
Pete
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:33:11 AM by Pete49 »

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
I might have something here - got a drawer full of salvaged gears, failing that we can always cut one.

Sneaky Tip #2473: For one job I did some time back, I used the worm out of a cheap shifting spanner - fitted a 20dp gear to a tee!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
This will be fun Pete, I'm in

Steve

Offline tel

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:27:25 AM »
Got a surplus 60t Mod1 here Pete - yours if you want it.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the offer Tell but its too big :(. Largest I can use is 45mm diam. Just scrounged around and found 2 nice worm gears from a photocopier plus a 30,34,41 and 50 tooth gears which except for the 41 tooth (steel) are nylon. I have a 36 & 60 tooth in my change gear set and I have a dividing head compliments of Harold Hall   :ThumbsUp:. Just need to try and make a cutter to do the job. (more research). I figure that 36 being half of 72 may work OK and failing that I can make a 60 tooth (I hope) More suggestion eagerly sought.
Pete
ps pics to follow

Offline tel

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
60t @ 40dp would give you 39.7mm od - I have a cutter for that if you get stuck. Might even have a bit of CI for the blank.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
Having weighed up my options rather than anchors  :Jester: and realised the the base should have been larger so as to accommodate the right sized gears so Tel, the spare 60 would be nice. I figured the best (and cheapest) would be to remake the base as I have sufficient materials for that and it would allow me to use available resources. Its only a small hiccup but another piece of the learning curve. Part of the problem was my conversion of imperial measurement to metric for purchasing and manage to make 100mm into 5 inches instead of 120mm. Just another case of seniors moment :old:
Pete
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:06:22 AM by Pete49 »

Offline tel

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
 :Lol: 'appens all the time! PM me your address and I'll get it away to you in the next few days.

And just to keep you on track, here's one I prepared earlier! Sold it off a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Thanks Tel pm sent. Like the earlier prepared version. Can understand the regret
Pete
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:08:14 AM by Pete49 »

Offline Pete49

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
OK a package in the mail from Tel has me back at it. After a few adjustments (rebuild :Lol:) I went for it and bored the gear to suit the new shaft and made the thread....woah bit tricky at that speed after much panic and worry its done and turned out OK but now another project is on the list....a back gear to slow the spindle way down as 250 rpm was a bit scary over the 1/2 inch it had to travel.
pics on the camera so will upload them later. Whoops a royal command has been given  so more of the honeydos before more shed time. A downside to owning a home I guess as I,m the landlord and have to do the work  :(
Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »
Good to see you back at it Pete!

A little tip - when you head for the workshop, walk out backwards, that way she'll think you are coming in! ;)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
good thinking ...I was thinking pepper in the eyes but that would hurt.........me when she comes good :ROFL:   
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »
Just an update to show the pics of where I'm at prior to the bandsaw blade breaking
Pete

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
Coming along nicely there Pete

Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
Still watching Pete.
I'm glad you posted those pics. I'd forgotten how the base was made and was wondering.
"To work. To work."

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
It's coming Pete!   

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
Ok a couple more pics of the progress... (I took lessons from troutsqueezer :ROFL:) The gear has been made to suit the new shaft ( since the upsize it was too short) and I decided to fit some brass bushes to the worm shaft, probably overkill with the amount of work I envisage but you never can tell the future.
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »
OK now at the stage of marking the degrees on the table and wheel. I thought of making a couple strips of paper with the degrees on them and sticking to the items then marking them. Problem is I don't have a program that can do this and not able to get my head around it. Any suggestions or help appreciated
Pete

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:43 AM »
OK now at the stage of marking the degrees on the table and wheel. I thought of making a couple strips of paper with the degrees on them and sticking to the items then marking them. Problem is I don't have a program that can do this and not able to get my head around it. Any suggestions or help appreciated
Pete

Pete,

You are more than welcome to use my RT & Mill. Send me a message next time your heading south and I'll open up the shop. Just not a Wednesday as that is chauffeur duty for SWMDBO.

Hope this will help.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Pete49

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »
Thanks for the offer Bob, I'l keep it in mind. The chances of getting to the big smoke before xmas is zero to none but who knows what fate has in store for me. I just remembered my navigation kit I had when I was sailing so will see what I have there that my help

Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 05:44:15 AM »
A common old full circle school compass, fitted to the back of the spindle, with some sort of pointer/clamp plate will do the job nicely - nip down to the newsagent and spent 98c!

Offline tel

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »
Or, if you want to hang on to your 98c, print off a degree wheel (there's thousands of 'em on the interweb), stick it to a disc of something and ditto repeato

Offline Pete49

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:11 AM »
Tel you re a genius.... :cheers: I vill giv you a green apfel. :Lol: I have the identical compass and was trying to figure a way to use it.....onwards and upwards :cartwheel:
For the dial I found a piece of 40mm scrap aluminum rod and as a bonus my little Russian lathe wheel on the lead screw matches the marks I need for the  crank dial.... at least I think so. It takes 30 turns to get a full rev of the table and that's the numbers on the lathe wheel so I should be right? I'll stick up a pic of what I mean later
Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »
30 turns? With a 60t wheel you should need 60 turns - one turn of the worm should advance the gear one tooth, or 6?.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 05:37:25 AM »
oh oh I thought something was wrong  :-[ Back to the drawing board we go....not a lot that should need sorting. The worm may be the culprit ...or my counting :old:
Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »
Well, looking at your pic with the worm and wheels set up I can't see anything that would cause a gross error like that - perhaps you miscounted. Put a pair of alignment marks on with a felt tipped pen and try again. I know the wheel is 60t 'cos apart from being stamped '60' I did count the teeth.

Bluechip

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
Can't really tell from the pic. but IIRC a 2-start  worm does that ... ie halves  the apparent reduction

Dave BC

Offline tel

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
Yes, that would do it.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Just double checked this afternoon and it is 30 turns :-[. I have checked the worm and it and the other I have are both identical as Bluechip stated they are 2 start worm gears. I'll have a look at Ivans book on gears and see if I can get the head around it....Math was never my fave subject with the exception of algebra which I took to....pity about losing it if you don't use it
Pete

Offline tel

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
No biggy, either go with the 30 turns, or cut a single start worm to get 60.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
yes thats a solution Tel. Having read up on worm gears from Ivan Law's book and Arnodb's build I am going to attempt to make a worm gear. Worse case is it fails and I go with what I have but I reckon I can do it.
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
Well a successful day in he shed.  ;D I shaped a piece of HSS to what I gathered was the right shape and st the lathe to cut 8tpi and wow it worked I have a worm gear ....my very first one that I cut. Now the table turns 1 full turn for 60 times of the crankdial...the next job on the list is to make a marker so I can mark the dial & table. Stay tuned for the next episode
Pete

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
Good going Pete. Sure wish there was a pic or two.  :'(
"To work. To work."

Offline tel

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
ONYA Pete! The hardest part about it is convincing yourself you can do it!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:35 AM »
Yep that was the biggest hold up Tel but now I know I can and threading on the lathe is no longer a dark art for me :cartwheel: I know its a slow build compared to most here but It will be done when its done.
Carl pics are being organised now  ;D
Pete

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »
And...............wait for it...............an ONYA from me as well  :praise2:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Well done :NotWorthy: First bit of threading a worm gear, talk about jumping in the deep end.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Wot Bob and Jo said!    Pictures please! ;D

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
About halfway down the page linked below is an explanation of how to divide a paper strip into the divisions needed to wrap around something to be able to mark degrees:

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/a-simple-rotary-table-without-a-worm-drive/

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Well done Pete - congratulations  :whoohoo:

Yep that was the biggest hold up Tel but now I know I can and threading on the lathe is no longer a dark art for me :cartwheel: I know its a slow build compared to most here but It will be done when its done.
;D There you have it - threading on the lathe is not that difficult, and a very handy skill to have  :ThumbsUp: .  In fact, its one of the operations I enjoy the most on the lathe.
And I think you've got the right attitude as well - don't worry about speed and don't rush things - just do a bit at a time.  You'll soon find that as you repeat operations and develop your own work methodology, speed will come by itself.  It's our hobby not our work  :)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 04:00:51 AM »
Thank you all for the great support as without it I would have fallen at that hurdle. I now want to refine it a bit and will do another out of brass and with a 8mm hss tool as I had to use a 10mm and was not too happy with the result but hey it works. Lee thanks for the link its now saved  ;D I must say that using HSS for the last year instead of those cheapy carbide tools has been a great time as I can grind the shape I need for the job rather than buy a tool though I have modded a couple brazed carbide tools. Heres a pic of the finished gear in place.
Pete

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
That'll Do Pete!   Nice job!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 02:43:46 AM »
Just a heads up to let you all know the RT is finished. Finally marked the degrees on the table (messy so no pics) and hand wheel and it works as intended though I may make a better table if I find a suitable piece of metal at a later date ...or not. Next step is to go back to the beam engine and see If I can get it to run
Pete

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 03:33:44 AM »
Hey Pete, if it works for you man that will  do it. Thanks for sharing bud and happy metal cutting. I be waiting on that Beam engine post.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
Looking forward to it Pete!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
I was absent during the time you were building this, Pete.  Hope you show us some
pics of the finished item.  Congrats on getting her done!

Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline Pete49

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
OK Don I will post a pic of it  ::) bit too hot to go down to the shed so will post it tomorrow.
I have been looking at it and decided I will make a new table and I now have the correct size stamps. The dial is able to be zeroed as well only did it to see if I could and it works  :ThumbsUp:
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:26 AM »
well here it is. Had to use the phone camera as my battery in the canon was flat.  :facepalm:
Pete

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 04:22:17 AM »
Well I must say that I am impressed. I enjoyed reading the build as well.  Good job.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:41 AM »
Well done Pete. Should prove very useful

Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

Steve

Yes it should!   Well done Pete! :cheers:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

Steve

What Steve said.

Don

Offline Pete49

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
will be using it very soon on the corliss build (if I can get the materials)...was thinking of making the flywheel first  :)
Thanks for all the help and advice to help me through it all
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal