Author Topic: Rotary table build  (Read 23388 times)

Online Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Rotary table build
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:17 AM »
Well as my beam engine is an hold due to a few problems I decided to start on a rotary table as done by deano and also built & catalogued by Arnoldb. The pics show where I'm at for now as I'm going to get a piece of steel for the table Monday (I hope)
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Rotary table build
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:03 AM »
Oh I'll tag along for that!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »
Count me in for the ride as well.

Mike O

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
I'll be watching too.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Hey count me in on this ride. Should be some interesting project.

Don

Online Pete49

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
OK a bit more done today. I didn't take pics of the tapping of the holes for the shaft but I guess you all know how that goes. Also opened out the hole for the bearing in the base. That pretty much was my days work. More to come tomorrow ;D. My next real hurdle will be finding a worm and gear to suit as I'm not confident in that dept.  :( I will see if I can buy something close for this job as I don't want to stuff it all up.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Good going Pete  :ThumbsUp:

If you don't want to try to make your own worm and gear, look for a set with either a 60:1 ratio or 72:1 ratio that will fit.  A 90:1 ratio would also work, but from what you've shown so far, a 90:1 combination might be too big to fit (or have very fine teeth, which can make things difficult with alignment and spacing)  Other numbers can be awkward to calibrate.  I'm really pleased with the 72:1 ratio I went for; that gives 5o per turn of the handwheel and makes things easy to mentally calculate while using the table.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Pete49

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip Arnold, I'll look around to see what I can scrounge up. The overall size of the base is 4 inches, 0.375 thick walls so about 3.250 internal. I won't show the welds as its been a while since I had to stick weld but the mig is out of gas :( and it shows ::)
Pete
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:33:11 AM by Pete49 »

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
I might have something here - got a drawer full of salvaged gears, failing that we can always cut one.

Sneaky Tip #2473: For one job I did some time back, I used the worm out of a cheap shifting spanner - fitted a 20dp gear to a tee!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
This will be fun Pete, I'm in

Steve

Offline tel

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:27:25 AM »
Got a surplus 60t Mod1 here Pete - yours if you want it.

Online Pete49

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the offer Tell but its too big :(. Largest I can use is 45mm diam. Just scrounged around and found 2 nice worm gears from a photocopier plus a 30,34,41 and 50 tooth gears which except for the 41 tooth (steel) are nylon. I have a 36 & 60 tooth in my change gear set and I have a dividing head compliments of Harold Hall   :ThumbsUp:. Just need to try and make a cutter to do the job. (more research). I figure that 36 being half of 72 may work OK and failing that I can make a 60 tooth (I hope) More suggestion eagerly sought.
Pete
ps pics to follow

Offline tel

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
60t @ 40dp would give you 39.7mm od - I have a cutter for that if you get stuck. Might even have a bit of CI for the blank.

Online Pete49

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
Having weighed up my options rather than anchors  :Jester: and realised the the base should have been larger so as to accommodate the right sized gears so Tel, the spare 60 would be nice. I figured the best (and cheapest) would be to remake the base as I have sufficient materials for that and it would allow me to use available resources. Its only a small hiccup but another piece of the learning curve. Part of the problem was my conversion of imperial measurement to metric for purchasing and manage to make 100mm into 5 inches instead of 120mm. Just another case of seniors moment :old:
Pete
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:06:22 AM by Pete49 »

Offline tel

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
 :Lol: 'appens all the time! PM me your address and I'll get it away to you in the next few days.

And just to keep you on track, here's one I prepared earlier! Sold it off a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal