Author Topic: Apprentice Project - Toolmaker Clamps  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Joco

Re: Apprentice Project - Toolmaker Clamps
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
Attached is the Fusion 360 model I did for one of the knobs. using this you can play around with different cutter sizes (see User Parameters) and then on a drawing get the amount of offset you need to bring a certain sized cutter in from the side.

The experienced hands with DROs might well have a better way to do things but this might be useful for someone.

Cheers.    :cheers:
James
Wellington - NZ

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 05:44:32 AM »
Very nice clamp there James!  A beautiful piece of equipment that you'll be able to use for many years to come.
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »
Thanks to everyone who commented or wandered by to have a look.   :cheers:

As these little gadgets seem to hunt in pairs I thought I would round out this little project with a final pic of the matching pair of 110mm toolmaker clamps made per Harold Hall's design (THANK YOU Harold) following the "alternative" style.   I will make more of these in different sizes and mixing the styles as one thing woodworking taught me and I see no reason for metalworking to be any different "There can never be too many clamps!"  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
James

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:10:34 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:23 AM »
Those are great. The ones I have are all the knob-on-both-sides style, but occasionally it would be nice to have the knobs on just one side. Thanks for the build/pics everyone!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 01:53:48 AM »
Those are nice looking clamps James. Well done. I really like those knobs. It's always fun to make tools and feels really rewarding when you get to use them.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
Beautiful clamps. And a lot learned in the process. The memories will come back every time you use them :-)

I made a clamp in Grade 9 machine shop in 1962, still use it and the knowledge gained while making it.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal