Author Topic: Collet Misadventure  (Read 1740 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Collet Misadventure
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
Making the 4 bronze bushings for the Simpson and Shipton was more annoying than it should have been. Since I hadn’t done so in a while, I clocked the Bison 5C collet chuck to under .0005.
Once I had turned the .5’ bronze round to the .436 diameter, I parted that section off and changed to a 7/16” collet.
Even though I rarely do so, I put a DI on the bush and was getting .005 runout. As a check, I replaced the bush with the same diameter pin gauge with the same .005 runout.
So, since the chuck is virtually dead nuts and the pin gauge is round, that left only the collet.
As a check, I mounted the appropriate size pin gauges in one collet size under and one size over.
Both had 0 runout.
Inspecting the collet showed no burrs, junk inside, etc.
It also had no name on it. I’ve built up my collet set from a variety of sources: Ebay, show vendors, on-line stores, etc. Many are Hardinge (used), some are Shars, others are Lyndex-Nikken and a few have no identification. The squares and hex collets are all Hardinge.
Don’t remember ever having an issue. Things that are supposed to be round, are, in fact, round. Holes are centered. Bores are straight.
Just a bad collet.
Given the snow today, I’m sure that there’s no one at Hardinge, but the website was quite happy to take my order for a new Hardinge collet.
It showed out of stock but the website said that a new one would be ground within 48 hours to .001 TIR.
Just saying.
Best,
Stan

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Collet Misadventure
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
I had a strange collet problem a  while back. I normally use an ER25 collet system and put in a length of 10mm silver steel (drill rod) which was visibly running out of true. I took the collet out and cleaned it, no better. I took the chuck off and cleaned the mounting, still no better. I then changed to the original Hobbymat collet chuck, still runout  :headscratch:
Final check, put the silver steel on the surface plate, it was bent  :facepalm:  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:53 PM »
Ok, silly question time. So if more stock is removed from a part than the amount of runout, wouldn't the part still be round. And, if multiple dimensions were turned, as long as the part wasn't moved; wouldn't they be concentric?  :shrug:

Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
Stan, you have nothing to lose at this point so you might want to try this.  Spray some WD-40 in the collet and gently tighten the collet until it is a sliding fit on a piece of brass.  Then run the lathe and move the brass in and out as if lapping.  I had a collet that was running out around .003 and got it to .0003 by doing this except I used copper because I had it.  Obviously, be careful grabbing a rotating piece of brass.

Yes Eric.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Cletus
You are correct but the problem is that the turned part is not in line with the tailstock. Drilling results in an off-center hole.

Bob
I'll try that. I was going to toss it anyway.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal