Author Topic: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.  (Read 82118 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
Yes a significant omission but not as annoying as them not shipping over the pond  :rant: 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
Would not stop me, that's a decent sort of size and cast in iron not soft GM. Almost worth contacting teh guy to see if he would do a deal in return for drawing up a set of plans, looks like he may well be casting them himself with a name like "oilburner"

Only says "May Not" ship to UK, there is a note to say that overseas buyers need to get the two part customs listing.

Jo Do you know what has happened to the Beggs engine as it is no longer listed on Cotswold's site? Maybe not a good seller or too costly to cast with the cores needed for the bottle

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2017, 08:15:20 AM »
I tried contacting him but the UK Fleabay does not recognise the Ebay number and Ebay.com won't let me log in  :disappointed: So I would need to set up another account.

I don't know what happened to the Costwold engine. Originally it had been about £200. Anthony would not be worried as he was paid for designing engines for them rather than on how many kits they sell.

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
Would not stop me, that's a decent sort of size and cast in iron not soft GM. Almost worth contacting teh guy to see if he would do a deal in return for drawing up a set of plans, looks like he may well be casting them himself with a name like "oilburner"

Only says "May Not" ship to UK, there is a note to say that overseas buyers need to get the two part customs listing.

Jo Do you know what has happened to the Beggs engine as it is no longer listed on Cotswold's site? Maybe not a good seller or too costly to cast with the cores needed for the bottle

Jason
at a guess that is due to the weight of the castings being heaver than that program allows ( I have been refused a global ship on a heavy part but if I had ordered the inner and outer as two orders it would have been ok but the compleat assembled no )
but you would then be stung for two import dues and there commission twice that would make them in excess of 700 dollars approx

just a thought
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
I've not used the e-bay global shipping but when I have bought other casting sets from the US of similar weight usually works out about $150 via US postal as international is priced by weight not what can be crammed into a standard box for a fixed fee. Plus any VAT an post office fee of £8 this end.

Don't know who e-bay use but may be higher plus whatever they take. Weight and size put this engine within a single GSP.

J
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:59:06 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Jason

its

Pitney Bowes.  they do the global shipping
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online sco

« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
I've bought stuff from US ebay and used the global shipping programme - all the customs charges are paid for you and its pretty painless all in although expensive.

I've also bought stuff from German ebay where they say they will not ship outside Germany and have used mailbox.de to get round this.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
I made a mistake on the No 5 steam chest holes I tried drilling through from one side only  :facepalm: The depth of the chest means it is a long hole and the drill wandered  :disappointed: On the first of the swan ones I drilled in from both sides and they met in the middle  ;) I still have one more chest to drill.

I also did the covers while Tgs DRO was set up for each chest. I only have one cover with the Stuart "S" on it I was thinking of adding another letter on the others but I am not sure what the Font is that Stuart use   :headscratch:

One more set to do tomorrow. All this "recovering" is wearing me down  ::)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
Ooh, That's nice ...   :praise2:   Coming on well.

Is that 'pyramid' effect just an optickle delusion ?
Prefer it to the 'S'.

Don't overdo it .

P.S. Your onions are drying nicely.

P.S. #2: I still like that colour.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
Thanks Dave, yes the pyramid is a delusion caused by the lack of the use of optics  :DrinkPint:. I was tempted to inset a nice brass "J"  :naughty: or maybe the shape of a Swan

Overdo it  :hellno: It is just so frustrating. I aint going back to work at the end of the month like this. Me an the Doc will be having words  :Director:

Onions: good stuff... I have some Bamboo drying ;)

Jo

P.S. Also did a bit of Bottle engine fettling. As was not unexpected my set of castings are the rejects as there was too much flashing on them, for the bottle that meant the insides  :Doh: As for the cranks they are for something else, I seem to acquire lots of bits for something else when I buy things from my Supplier  ::)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
Looks like you may get to use your scroll saw in anger when you do the lettering maybe a "J" at one end and an " O" at the other :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »
I have not decided on the lettering yet... The first problem is to identify a suitable Font..

The last steam chest and cover had the mounting holes drilled this morning so it was time to think about the holes for the valve spindle guides. I have made the bottom glands and found it was necessary to screw cut the 3/8" BSP threads as the die was just chewing off the metal and not cutting a thread. the only use for the die was to clean up the thread after cutting. So I was a little cautious over tapping the holes in the chest. First having drilled a 15mm hole I found that using the weight of the quill against the tap it was actually easy to cut the thread and the thread it even fits the fitting :)

Three more of those to cut then hopefully I may have recovered from yesterday's celebration enough to do a bit of screw cutting for the top fittings (which there are no castings for  :disappointed: ).

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
Following a today's casting delivery  :mischief: I had intended on going out and doing a bit of thread cutting to make the top valve rod guides but realised that required demounting Tgs vice and I had forgotten to drill and tap the sides of the Steam chests. So having drilled and tapped them I could take his light weight vice down and mount up his personal 5C dividing head ready for tomorrow.

I also started looking at the missing inlet and exhaust castings: The 5A has a pair but I am not convinced... the exhaust casting has been started but it never had the outside of the stubby bit turned so the nuts will not go flat, there will be a lot of messing round to line that up again  :thinking:. These are very big 38mm odd, and I do not have a stick of Brass or bronze that size  :disappointed: I do have a couple of spare bronze castings that could be used to make another two fittings (which is all I actually need as the Swan has two bigger castings to feed from/into the second cylinder) or I could decide to start again with some bronze water inspection castings that that nice man from the water board gave me a bucket of  :naughty:

Jo
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:57:53 PM by Jo »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi Jo,
 Its a good thing that its a "light weight" vice you are moving around & not straining yourself while still in recovery mode!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
Can't you keep the vice at one end of the table and other items at the opposite end while you are on light duties. I often do that on mine as I can't be bothered to take the vice off when I want to use the indexer or clamp an odd item to the table.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal